Forums

F2P Extensions

Quick find code: 74-75-796-66289388

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Posts: 559 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Balkj06

Player-owned Port
-While I don’t get a lot of support for this suggestion, the issue is that F2P players shouldn’t even be able to enter the port. The minigame is P2P-exclusive and requires at least one level 90 stat. (For that matter, members shouldn’t be able to enter until they actually meet the requirements.) F2P can’t do anything in the port; even the NPCs can’t be interacted with.
-The portal is an issue because it is arguably the most eye-catching thing in Port Sarim. When someone comes across it, they’ll think it’s something important and enter it, only to be confused and disappointed.
-I think people have disliked this suggestion because it might seem complicated to get rid of the portal, but it’s not. You could just click an NPC or board a ship instead. Either of those alternatives would be more realistic than the manager of a port leaving the door wide open to anyone who happens to be in the vicinity.

Queen Black Dragon
-I recognize that she would be extremely difficult. I would only want her to become F2P after T60 equipment and dragonfire shields. (QBD is the least certain of all of the suggestions)

Divination
-Agreed that it wouldn’t add much. However, divine locations should still be updated to match the new Woodcutting requirements. Combining this with a F2P extension would be an efficient way to do both.
-I also included a proposal to rework Tolna’s Rift, for two reasons:
1) Tolna’s Rift is in the vicinity of the level 20 wisps
2) The dungeon is where a god-like being was drained of energy, tying nicely with Divination

I hadn’t really considered Agility and Thieving becoming F2P skills. While Fletching was made F2P, it is a lot more crucial to the game than the other two. Even though Ranged weapons originally came from shops, they’re pretty important. I wouldn’t say that Agility has as much weight when it comes to essential game mechanics. Same goes for Thieving; there’s a reason why they’re both considered support skills.
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

29-Sep-2023 20:28:02 - Last edited on 29-Sep-2023 20:30:09 by Seasons Past

Balkj06

Balkj06

Posts: 240 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While the Herbs are nice. Is their enough Herb Patches?
We got Garden of Kharid, Falador and Wilderness. That's it.

On, members having to plant a Willow Tree isn't fun. I would rather they remove the need for the Willow Tree.

There just isn't enough use for Comsic runes in f2p.
And if you do need them. You can collect 10 free ones from Explorer Jack.
(I think can also pick them up in F2P Wildy)

Those issues about the Ports also exist on the Members world, and not a problem on those worlds. Thus it shouldn't be a problem on f2p worlds.

But it did get me thinking what if you gave F2P Ports? I need to think on that more.

King Black Dragon to Queen Black Dragon is quite a big jump. I think we should add in weaker bosses before giving f2p her.

Divination is my least fav skills, even if you did increase the cape to 20. I wouldn't want to train it.

Thieving has enough content in the f2p world to train to 99. But isn't very useful.

Agility is very useful on the f2p world. But there isn't enough content in f2p to train the skill.

30-Sep-2023 07:16:55 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2023 07:19:36 by Balkj06

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Farming:
With a level cap of 20, I'd consider three herb patches to be more than enough. Historically there were only four in the game: Morytania, Falador, Catherby, and Ardougne.

Fair enough on the willow tree in Enlightened Journey. However, Farming trees still need to be matched to Woodcutting requirements. Taking the willow tree out of the quest would require more substantial changes than simply lowering the Farming requirement to 20. For that reason, it wouldn't be cost-effective to mess with the plot of the quest just to make it F2P.

Cosmic runes:
I think that's a fair argument. Cosmic runes aren't hard to come by, and enchantment spells aren't vital to begin with. I'd still want non-members to be able to make them, but that's just me.

Player-owned Port:
Yes, you're right: it's not just a F2P issue. I mentioned in the introduction that small fixes should be bundled with larger updates to make them more efficient. The Void Knights' Outpost F2P extension would be a perfect opportunity to address the portal, as both are accessed from Port Sarim and involved with minigames.

QBD:
I agree with you. While not a priority, it's still feasible enough to make the list. I'm not going to take her down, but I'll repeat that QBD would be the very last of these suggestions to be released if so.

With Lumbridge Swamp Caves and Dorgesh-Kaan, Kalphite Queen could eventually become F2P. Like QBD, the KQ would also be released at the extreme tail end of the free game.

At this point, there are no guarantees. Even The Lost Tribe quest is ambitious given that only Archaeology and Necromancy have a 20-level trial.
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

30-Sep-2023 14:47:20 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2023 14:49:50 by Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Update 30/09/23

Organisation
-Added table of contents to the Introduction

Suggestions
-Rearranged suggestions for F2P access to certain trees and woodboxes
* Teak, maple, and acadia trees/woodboxes are now included with the Farming Extension ; Taverley Dungeon, Part 1 ; and Hunter Extension , respectively

Other
-Corrected inaccurate reference to rewards from The Dig Site quest
-Expanded upon the proposed Wizards' Tower Refresh

30-Sep-2023 14:54:47 - Last edited on 17-Dec-2023 01:31:31 by Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

One more thing to mention: none of these suggestions are set in stone.

To name a couple of very different examples:
-I'm reasonably confident that teak and acadia trees will be added to free areas at some point,
vs.
-QBD
It should be noted that not everything I listed in each proposed extension would have to be implemented. For example:
-Zanaris could be released without access to dragon weapons
-The Varrock series wouldn't have to include Family Crest , The Dig Site , or Divination
-For Asgarnia, almost everything until Taverley Dungeon Pt. 2 can be released without any major disruption
-Taverley Dungeon Pt. 2 would not require dragonfire shields being made F2P. Without those and black dragonhide, the dungeon could be made F2P tomorrow.

Only when it gets into game-changing elements like T60 equipment, or entire areas like Karamja or Dorgesh-Kaan, do the suggestions start falling more into the realm of speculation. This thread is in Game Content Suggestions, but some of the ideas might not be out of place in Future Game Updates.

30-Sep-2023 15:32:15 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2023 15:44:45 by Seasons Past

Noctis King
Dec Member 2023

Noctis King

Posts: 77 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.

I think that’s a great idea. I would consider getting rid of the Slayer level requirement altogether. That would allow F2P players to potentially benefit from the gloves while earning Slayer xp if they are assigned a dragon task from Vannaka. I would also give the gloves hybrid tank gear stats - as they’re used in combat - possibly scaling with the wearer’s Defence level.

For other Fist of Guthix rewards, I would propose:
-Spikeshields and berserker shields - replace them with metal spikes. These could be applied to any smithed adamant, rune, orikalkum, necronium, or bane shield, boosting the tier of the shield and adding a Strength bonus. Adding spikes to a shield would have a Smithing requirement matching the tier of metal.
-Mage robes - similarly to spiked shields, these would be upgraded and magically charged versions of standard craftable Magic equipment, turning the base sets into power armour. Upgrading the base sets would have a Runecrafting requirement matching the tier of equipment.
-Runecrafting, herb-gathering, and Fishing gloves would have their requirements changed to match the corresponding runes, herbs, and fish.

I was considering that dragon slayer gloves should be the final reward after attaining slayer level 20 or 15. Dragons are higher, starting at 64 with the green variant. Especially some cave crawlers are higher-level than green dragons. I would suggest adding a buffer and a nice reward for f2p. Good idea on dragon slayer gloves. I guess the Dragon Slayer glove should be upgradeable instead degrading to dust will go up to tier 55 or 60.

Good idea on mage robes.
I agree on other gloves for requirement changes.

I guess FOG Rewards needs a revamp to entice players to play the minigame. This idea would be considered for a another thread.

30-Sep-2023 19:24:09 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2023 19:24:57 by Noctis King

Noctis King
Dec Member 2023

Noctis King

Original message details are unavailable.

I don’t mind giving F2P orikalkum equipment at a fitting opportunity, even without it degrading. It’s tank armour, so it wouldn’t be much of a step up from rune.

While I prefer new equipment degrading to broken, rather than to dust, corrupt dragon equipment does serve a niche purpose as the glass cannon of F2P equipment. No other F2P armour is as strong or short-lived. I could get behind adding equivalents for Ranged and Magic to fill out the combat triangle.

I guess if we have Tier 60 equipment, then corrupt dragon equipment should be upgraded to Tier 65. Otherwise, it would serve no purpose but to have dead content overtaken by orikalkum and regular dragon equipment.

The corrupt dragon equipment will have more power but it will be disintegrate into dust after one hour.

30-Sep-2023 19:41:28 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2023 19:48:10 by Noctis King

Noctis King
Dec Member 2023

Noctis King

Queen Black Dragon without Tier 60 weapons would be overkill even with a combat upgrade. I would suggest a new boss for combat levels around 300 to 400.

Since KBD dropped the draconic visage in f2p, according to the RS wiki, dragon-fire shields are tier 70, and dragon banes are tier 80. I guess use draconic visage to create a new weapons called the dragon gravite weaponry. Dragon gravite weaponry, including magic and range weapons, will have a 10 to 15% advantage in dealing more damage to dragons. The dragon gravite weapon will have less bonus advantage than the dragon banite weapon (which is 25% extra). This would make gravitational weapons useful for killing dragons.

I would suggest dragon rune weaponry, but rune dragons are monsters and could be confusing to mix up.

30-Sep-2023 22:19:57 - Last edited on 01-Oct-2023 22:46:34 by Noctis King

Quick find code: 74-75-796-66289388 Back to Top