Wizards’ Tower Refresh
-Rune essence:
* Deposited into a chute automatically when mined
* Teleported to the bank by left-clicking the chute
* Pure essence no longer a separate item
-All elemental runes unlocked at level 1 Runecrafting

Slayer Extension
-Lumbridge Swamp Caves
* Players without a light source would be prompted to talk to Jacquelyn Manslaughter to learn how to make one

7 Varrock & Wilderness

Sightseeing
-All Fired Up minigame
* Ring of fire and flame gloves

Bindings of Chaos
-Fetid zombie and elemental anima stone

141 Jewellery

Ore
-Stone spirits reworked as four types:
* Sedimentary (T1-50 core ores)
* Igneous (all core ores)
* Precious (casting metals, gemstones, and most quest exclusives)
* Earth spirit (clay, rune essence, limestone, granite, regular sandstone, and regular sea salt)
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

10-Jan-2024 14:14:35 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2024 17:58:00 by Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Posts: 594 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Revised teleport suggestions:

Water

Earth

Fire

Air
Mind

Body

Cosmic

Chaos

Nature

1 Ashdale
5 Draynor (west gate)
10 Lumbridge
12 Mudskipper Point (unlocked as a reward from Pirate’s Treasure, by reading a scroll found in One-Eyed Hector’s treasure casket)

13 Taverley

15 Varrock Outskirts (outside east gate)
17 Paterdomus (outside the entrance)
19 House (P2P)
20 Varrock Square

21 Gunnarsgrunn (reward from Gunnar’s Ground)
22 Rimmington (south of Clan Camp)

25 Al Kharid (west gate)
27 Zanaris (otherworldly beings)

30 Mage Training Arena (unlocked as a reward)

33 Crandor (unlocked on Crandor during or after Dragon Slayer)

40 Falador
44 Karamja Volcano (outside the gate to Brimhaven)

50 White Wolf Mountain (outside the Ice Queen’s Lair; requires Heroes’ Quest)

Level changes
-21 Lumbridge, House
-6 Taverley
-5 Varrock
+3 Falador

Notes:
-Level progression is meant to be consistent, fair, and intuitive, with a new spell unlocking at every 5th level and a major hub at almost every 10th
-Required runes are based on proximity to Runecrafting altars
* Locations within the same region share the same rune
-Arrival destinations were selected by geographic region and relative usefulness, considering other teleportation methods and their requirements
* Draynor west gate would be helpful to access Draynor, Falador farm, and the north part of Port Sarim
* Varrock east gate would be useful to access the east mine, divination colony, and Silvarea
* Al Kharid would be nice for quicker access to the bank as compared with the lodestone, and for reaching Lumbridge Swamp
* Rimmington doesn’t have an efficient teleport option yet, other than conditionally House Teleport
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

10-Jan-2024 14:36:43 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2024 16:45:45 by Seasons Past

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,237 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Addendum for spirits. Goblin raids at a mine had had their copper and tin drops replaced by the respective kinds of spirits, while those who dropped clay, now drop nothing at all (I think they tried to 'replace' that mining produce with a spirit, but clay doesn't have one, so it was replaced by nothing). It would be an opportunity to get earth spirits up and running that way and should be obtained in comparable numbers, as their metal counterparts currently are available. Likewise raiders at a forest should drop lesser wood spirits, making those available to free players by other means, but trading.

Teleports do not really convince me for multiple reasons. On the one hand the progression feels extremely out of place - what we have ingame certainly is not good, so I am all for reworking it, but... - taverley is basically the first place you reach after the tutorial and messing around with it for a bit in burthope and thus should be available way sooner than you propose - obviously before lumbridge (and it's worse than the lumbridge teleport right now), since this would be the place you'll get sent to afterwards - which also is way too late right now. In general I also do think you're trying to place things at levels, which just are multiples of 5 (or even 10). I mean yeah it makes sense for equipment at lower levels, but we have 99 levels (and at least 50 for f2p) for a reason - not 20 or the likes. Level 3 (when lumbridge is 5) would be much more reasonable for taverley, than 35.
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

10-Jan-2024 16:10:08 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2024 18:05:33 by Rikornak

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Thirdly a lot of your new teleports target areas, that already are well-covered with a multitude of options, it's just not like we need to cover every single tile with one.

- I think if ashdale had another point of interest, the teleport could be useful - but otherwise all is covered by the games necklace and the lodestone
- Al kharid got a lodestone, the amulet of glory, the ring of dueling, you can quickly get there by boat from taverley, there is the broom, that can be enchanted - if you're creative you could use the archaeology journal to get to the guild and teleport to kharid et.
- Draynor has a lodestone, a lodestone in port sarim, which isn't far away, war's retreat, the cabbage port, also the glory amulet, a farmable spirit tree
- Rimmington is extremely close to the port sarim lodestone (which I actually think should be one for rimmington considering the extreme proximity to draynor), remora's necklace, the clan vexillium (granted you want to relocate that to the GE), also the cabbageport, chipped teletabs, the skills necklace to the crafting guild. Neither of those options take longer than a minute or so.
- East varrock isn't that far away from the central varrock teleport and also can be quickly come by from the multitude of teleports to the archaeology guild or the fort.

I just don't think it is an issue if you have to run for half a minute - or even for slightly longer at times - you're supposed to work a bit for your teleport network after all as well. As it stands I only think the MTA teleport actually contributes something, since it is a bit away from from the garden of kharid, the archaeology guild and the fairy ring of polypore island. Of course not all teleports are available to everybody, but you can't tell me, that any of the locations would be locked up entirely for somebody who manages to reach the magic levels required.

Thinking of it - have we discussed about something like this in the past? Or was that someone else?

10-Jan-2024 16:10:13 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2024 17:26:44 by Rikornak

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

I got overconfident with those suggestions and took them out for now. We have discussed teleport spells before, though I don’t remember where it led. I think it may have resulted in the idea of having just one elemental rune type per spell, at least for the F2P ones.

While I acknowledge major shortcomings in the first attempt, I’d like to make a few points:

1) A lodestone takes longer to use than a teleport spell. The small convenience makes a difference for enjoying the game. If you’re a new player still finding your way around, it’s cumbersome to watch your character sit still and wait for the animation to finish. Being able to unlock something to speed this up is significant. If I have the Wilderness sword unlocked, I will always choose that over the Edgeville lodestone.

2) Most teleports are inaccessible to very new players. Things like the amulet of glory and other dragonstone jewellery aren’t going to be available immediately even if they are made F2P. Similarly, not everyone can access the clan vexillum. Even pretty disposable options like the broomstick, games necklace, ring of duelling, or Archaeology journal take a relatively significant amount of knowledge to acquire after starting the game.

This is why it would be reasonable to unlock teleport spells very early on. The fact that similar destinations may be unlocked by later items does not rule out the usefulness of something sooner. Unlocking a teleport spell every 5 or 10 levels is also not worse than only a few at oddly placed intervals. The former has structure and predictability, which are useful when learning the game.

Much of the point was to place teleports where they would be able to compete with lodestones if someone were carrying runes and a staff.

10-Jan-2024 18:16:05

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Ah right, I remember about it now.

I think in here we need to see two groups of players. Regular accounts and ironmen. An ironman is like any self-restricted account (call it skilling pure, tileman,...) rarely a good idea to start out the game with. The stones were historically hard to come by and the 80 crafting requirement causes ironmen who know what they're doing to rather go for 83 hunter to get one from a dragon impling. As a regular account - be it a member or free players if they are made available to f2p - it always was laughably trivial to pick one up - I think it's generally not insanely obvious what can be used to teleport where, but I'd say this should partially be their own job to figure it out, partially the job of the game to show players (I just think too much handholding will prevent them to make their own decisions when it just no longer happens), that they have other means of transport, but teleport spells or boats. And to come by a games necklace or a ring of duelling is no feat even in the current system. A lodestone always should be the last resort to get somewhere and I think part of the appeal of the game is to make the world more and more accessible over time.

I do agree with the inaccessibility of teleports again for the reason they sometimes have more than inadequate requirements - which can and should be fixed. Be it jewellery or be it teleports, be it asinine quest requirements. Especially the standard spellbook is a nightmare - the yanille teleport is locked behind the hard ardougne diary, the significantly crappier watch tower counterpart is locked behind a quest, that takes quite a bit from beginners. Ardougne likewise - while the quest isn't hard or so - it's just not enough to earn the spell by its level alone (which also is more than inadquately high). But unlocking stuff like the fairy ring or spirit tree networks feels awesome. Players will just lose out on that, when they have four or five teleports per city anyway.

10-Jan-2024 19:12:42

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

In general I doubt that players who would start to become anxious, because they can't teleport to exactly where they want to be (rather than the general vicinity of something) - especially from the get-go - they won't ever be happy. You would need to continue that game for the whole world then - and regions like morytania, the elven lands or anachronia - that are regions, that certainly take you longer than half a minute to get whereever you want, despite using the best teleports you could. And I don't think this is bad. Gielinor already is an extremely small game world, but if you just can teleport where you want to be it will be even worse. Compare it to other games, where you could be on your way for half an hour and longer if you're still a noob, who has no mount, who has no teleports - you won't have something like that for RS - not even the great gielinor run, which basically required you to run the whole game world from west to east has taken that long. A lot of diehards despise the lodestones, since they've 'devalued' certain (well in my eyes inadequate and/or outright bad) methods, but I see them as great - you have to reach the place once by your own. No other teleport has this (unless it's quest locked

For skills two things are extremely problematic - empty levels and inadequate features - the former is lacklustre, the latter is a punch in the face. Both shouldn't happen, albeit I do prefer an empty level if this is solely created by fixing some inadequate unlock (like they most recently did with dragonleather armours, albeit crafting still has something for each level). And in here you basically placed taverley (as the first hub for players to reach) in something worse, than lumbridge (as the second hub) is right now, solely because of a multiples of 5 level rule. This works for tierscape, but for everything else we should make use of 99 levels without having have some piece of t40 armour at level 99 to make it. But this is Jagex' job in the end.

10-Jan-2024 19:19:23 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2024 20:15:35 by Rikornak

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Would you see it as beneficial if unlocking a lodestone also unlocked a normal teleport spell to the same location? Then you would always have a choice to spend a law rune to get there more quickly.

Current teleport spells would take you to the same positions as the associated lodestones. Alternative arrival locations would be unlocked by completing quests, achievements, or other content, such as the Varrock and Ardougne achievements to change your arrival position for the Varrock and Watchtower teleport spells.

Here is another revised round of teleport spells:

1 Burthorpe
2 Taverley
3 Lumbridge
4 Draynor
5 Ashdale

6 Varrock
7 Edgeville

9 Al Kharid
10 Mage Training Arena (no lodestone)

11 Falador
12 Port Sarim
13 Wilderness

19 Karamja

26 City of Um

P2P:

8 Fort Forinthry / House

14 Catherby
15 Ardougne
16 Yanille

17 Seers’ Village
18 Fremennik Province

20 Eagles’ Peak
21 Anachronia

22 Canifis
23 Oo’glog

24 Menaphos
25 Bandit Camp

27 Tirannwn
28 Prifddinas

65 Lunar Isle

11-Jan-2024 04:01:05 - Last edited on 11-Jan-2024 07:43:49 by Seasons Past

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

In general I wouldn't get rid of the lodestone network (and neither would I lock the spells behind needing you to be there once). It's your always reliable, always available methods of getting somewhere - no matter what spellbook you're using - you're somewhere in nowhere without runes or teleport items? Welp - you can teleport yourself into civilization at least. In OS (and in RS back in the day) it really felt crippling for your ability to navigate the world, when you switched to any other spellbook than normal. It would so again without lodestones nowadays as well.

As I said I don't think it is a good idea to do it all with spellbook spells - players should learn, that other methods do exist and players should earn them over time - more reasonable wherever it is needed.

OS got a feature called the portal nexus - a device, that can be charged with 1000 times the costs of a teleport spell to have that teleport permanently available to it, as long as you can reach it. Depending on your construction level (up to 92) you can add 4, 8 or 30 teleports to it and the pool of available teleports encompasses most teleports from any of the four spellbooks. But I don't think that without something like this you should be able to bypass those restrictions (quite a few of your teleports do exist on other spellbooks). While this wouldn't solve your issue for f2p I would like to see this thing replicated in RS3 with a fort building or the like.

Mentioning commonly available teleports, with one simple alternative

- Burthope - Games Necklace
- Draynor - As said, multitude of teleports available right now
- Ashdale - Yet again, for what?

11-Jan-2024 06:38:24 - Last edited on 11-Jan-2024 07:22:26 by Rikornak

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

- Edgeville - I think that one lacks some simple unlock besides the lodestone, but as I said, it isn't hard to grab a combat bracelet as a regular account. But yeah - that's what the lodestone is for. Otherwise - not too hard to do the easy wilderness diary, which already comes with an infinite teleport. And not even too hard to make that available to f2p
- Al kharid - As said before
- MTA - Reasonable addition
- Port Sarim - Multitude of teleports available
- Wilderness - A bit vague for its terming, but the ancient spellbook features a lot of wilderness teleports.
- Karamja - Also a bit too vague, I think you're refering to Brimhaven for which I think a teleport could be a reasonable addition (besides the POH, lodestone and spirit tree)
- City of Um - Outright got a necromancy incantation - I do know it (and the diary reward) are not available to free players - but what exactly would you even want there after reaching the f2p level cap?
- Fort Forinthry - I think, that would be reasonable to have something besides the lodestone and the TT teleport scrolls.
- Catherby - That one is really a thing - there is a teleport spell - in the lunar spellbook, for level 92 magic. That wasn't even an appealing unlock back in the day and I'd only add it to the OS nexus for the convenience to get there more quickly for a treasure trail.
- Seers - Certainly also a bit lacking of means to reach it besides the lodestone. I think a teleport to the bank (like the diary reward in OS) would be a reasonable addition. But I could see a different proposal for RS3 in here: Add an infinite teleport on any variation of the seer's headband. It certainly wouldn't be hard to complete at least the easy diary.
- Frem - Likewise - the elite diary already offers an infinite teleport to the relekka marketplace - move it down to easy.
- Eagles Peak - Granted - the lodestone there is a bit weird - but a teleport spell sending you in the middle of nowhere would be even moreso.

11-Jan-2024 06:55:28 - Last edited on 11-Jan-2024 07:22:44 by Rikornak

Quick find code: 74-75-796-66289388 Back to Top