Forums

RE: Political Discussions Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As I have nothing better to do I counted 31 users posting on the mask thread including Kari.

I would then say out of those the majority made roughly 1-10 posts and that was it. some of which were irrelevant spam those at the higher end of the 1-10

the rest of the thread seemed to be mostly 5 users although we can bump it to 6 including OP and out of the total posts 600+ 3 users accounted for over half of them

My view is that the thread should have been locked a lot earlier on due to the circular nature it was taking and that it was clear it would basically go on and on which it did for 60 pages with nothing to show for it really.

this seemed to be the general order sort of

user 1 says something
user 2 says give me proof/source or whatever while also offering their view

user 1 gives their proof/source or whatever and gives a rebuttal to user 2s view and also asks for proof/source or whatever

user 2 mostly ignores the source and then focuses on the rebuttal to their view asking for a source of that instead

and it goes on and on for 60 pages basically with some users dropping out for a while and others taking on the baton

There was also in my mind inconsistent moderation such as removing off topic discussion about trump and then a couple of pages later it starts again and a lack of monitoring not to mention clear flaming being left

I mean a mod recognising the thread is going in a circular motion but rather than putting an end to it or not posting they instead on their first post specifically call out a user and then proceed to engage in a back and forth for multiple pages. I get they're a volunteer but come on.

Ultimately I believe the forums have had a major source of discussion removed because of lets be fair and say 5 users.

I think if Nick hadn't taken a couple of days before returning to the thread it would have been different. So I'm blaming him :D

02-Aug-2020 22:31:12 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2020 22:31:39 by Wilf

Miles Prower
Nov Member 2006

Miles Prower

Posts: 9,764 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The more I saw moderators participating, the less I felt some topics could be moderated without some backlash. Jagex has a duty to remain objective so to me it seems to be a resource issue. An alternative would be to disallow moderators from engaging which is incompatible with the idea of primarily being a player/contributor.

Quite a few good threads will be sent to their graves now despite 'politics lite' being the influence of some discussions. Seems like a high price to pay because of a few trolling/flaming/disinformation cases which could have been nipped in the bud. I'm not overly surprised but I do think this was considered the 'easiest' option.
Low on bank space? Click here .

02-Aug-2020 23:17:13 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2020 23:18:58 by Miles Prower

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^People just need to learn how to debate, disagree and argue. What I notice is people will keep at it even though it's not a win-win situation. They will go round and round with the same argument, they will bring in alts and friends just to carry on or to win, to be the louder voice <- this use to happen often, not so much these days but it still does, just not as loud.

It's a shame they have decided to not have politics any more especially when these debates happen in all topics not just political ones.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

03-Aug-2020 01:44:51

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
^People just need to learn how to debate, disagree and argue...
... NO ...
we do not need to do anything other than enjoy ourselves playing RuneScape, or any other Jagex-Products for that matter, and give our feedback in The RSOF or other Social Media and if you wanna teach then teach in a University or any other teaching-facility but let people are the ones who they are and always have been.

If Players want to discuss things or are getting tangled in a debate of some kind, just take it as it goes, and if it doesn't go the way you like then make a thread of your own in your own space with the people you like to select for that thread.

Jagex/JMods can pretty good make up their own minds, overviewing the whole thing, and they never ever demanded/asked of The RuneScape Community to use "strict guidelines on how to debate/disagree/argue".

03-Aug-2020 08:14:05

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
^I'm not asking people to stop debating or disagreeing etc. Yes people need to enjoy themselves on these forums, not at the expense of others or there threads.
... How many times did people complain in Forum Help? ...

03-Aug-2020 08:47:31

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
Dong U Dead said :
^I'm not asking people to stop debating or disagreeing etc. Yes people need to enjoy themselves on these forums, not at the expense of others or there threads.
... How many times did people complain in Forum Help? ...

Not sure what you are getting at.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

03-Aug-2020 17:04:34

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :

I think if Nick hadn't taken a couple of days before returning to the thread it would have been different. So I'm blaming him :D

Hahaha, this is what happens when I take days off. I fully accept this blame :P

In all honesty though, while it's unfortunate that this rule had to be reinstated, the past few months had seen OT devolve into cyclical argument after cyclical argument regarding politics - an almost farcical perpetual left vs. right debate - and it proved to be extremely unproductive.

As someone who's a big frequenter of Off-Topic, I also feel like it served to deter a lot of people from visiting Off-Topic - which is usually quite a lovely, compassionate and fun part of the forums - because they were put off by the political rhetoric and arguing, and by the whole first page being dominated by hotly debated political topics. There were a couple of pretty frequently posted on threads that had really become quite a ghost town in the last couple of months, and I really don't think that's a coincidence.

I sincerely believe that Mod Kari's choice to keep political threads out of OT was a necessary one considering the state of that particular forum in the past month or two.
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

03-Aug-2020 21:42:07 - Last edited on 03-Aug-2020 21:47:11 by CM Nick

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001 Back to Top