Forums

RE: Political Discussions Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,160 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ohhhh dear.

I got to have a say here and say I'm disappointed in this and outlawing the discussions. I love Politics and debating them with the Off Topic Community.

Religion I can leave. Does not interest me.

Politics does however. Especially coming up to an important issue in November which I won't discuss lol.

I do think it's the wrong call to stop all Politices. These are my own personal feelings about it so like it or lump it. These are my feelings to the Community. Jagex are exempt!

Over the last few months the Political threads several of which have got very heated and ended up locked. This I put down to the lockdown and people being stuck inside their homes. They needed to release that energy somewhere and sadly it was within the Off Topic section. Several F-Mods and CM Staff and Jagex tried to steer the threads back on track and to calm a few down. Sadly this didn't have much of an effect. Threads still ended up locked anyway.

I'm not going to point fingers at anyone not my style. Saying that though some within the Community could have steped back from several threads and let them carry on without taking them off topic or trashing them so bad they were locked. Now I suspect some will not like my message and I respect that. Just a few a small handful within the Community didn't know when to stop. Thats all I'll say.

My thoughts are over.

I respect Jagex call fully to outlaw them. I just don't like it. :(
Comprehensive Account Security
What do snowmen have for breakfast? Snowflakes! :P

02-Aug-2020 12:44:18

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Does there always have to be an upside for Jagex?
Sometimes companies/individuals do things or provide things to their patrons without seeing any directly beneficial result to themselves.

They do it as ... thinks of word ... courtesy? favour? Certainly such favours may be withdrawn as quickly and easily as they are bestowed and the users have, essentially, no room to moan since the favour was supplied gratis.

In this case, since the favour bestowed doesn't actually cost Jagex anything - the forums being here anyway - what kind of upside would they have expected from it in the first place?

I rather think that the removal hasn't so much to do with no upside coming from it's remaining rather than it was beginning to cost Jagex a small amount of time and involvement which, presumably, they are not prepared to invest.

Yes, there's no denying the whole thing turned acrimonious on the part of some of the contributors but instead of dealing with the troublesome parties involved Jagex took the lazy route of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with any of that and should have worded my post better. I guess where I am coming from is that it had started to look awful. Really awful.

Lets not beat around the bush though - we all saw full well what was going on. You would have had to be blind not to.
It could have been the heated nature of the threads in question that prompted Jagex to make this decision.
But more likely to my mind, was the active involvement of FMods in them, along with obvious taking of sides and the consequent hiding of any 'wrongthink' by those who dared dissent.
This certainly made the idea of 'dealing with the troublemakers' a more complicated issue.
Jagex would have to be crazy to take sides, or be put in a position where they seem to have taken sides, even by so distant an association.

02-Aug-2020 13:18:16

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My thought is that worldwide there's a growing awareness that overall politics have a devastating effect in places where politics are exercised outside the places where politics should be exercised in the first place.
So in short, to prevent The RSOF from going under because of political debates/discussions, The RSOF is closed for politics and can focus more on being an Entertainment Industry part and continue to do so in the future. :)

02-Aug-2020 13:25:28

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@ Stoat

Yep, I do agree with those observations entirely and, having followed those threads (mainly without participating) I'm aware of how things developed.

It would have been a very thin tightrope for Jagex to balance upon but I truly believe it could have been managed if Jagex had been prepared to invest the time and energy, without trashcanning the whole thing.

Banning politics is going to have a knock-on effect, imo, because it has a way of overlapping with so many other topics so I suspect it is going to stifle what might be interesting discussions which are not directly political.

But what's done, is done, and I have no doubt that Jagex will stick to their guns since that is the easiest route; it's been a very long time since they have fully engaged with the RSOF.

I hope ALL the people who contributed to this withdrawal of privilege will have the humility to learn something from it. I do not exclude myself from this.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

02-Aug-2020 13:37:07 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2020 13:40:47 by FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
My thought is that worldwide there's a growing awareness that overall politics have a devastating effect in places where politics are exercised outside the places where politics should be exercised in the first place.
So in short, to prevent The RSOF from going under because of political debates/discussions, The RSOF is closed for politics and can focus more on being an Entertainment Industry part and continue to do so in the future. :)

In that case they should also withdraw the option to discuss things such as religion and any other real-life issues including police actions, racial tensions, LGBTQ+ issues, mental health awareness, pandemics, wars/civil unrest, corrupt banking systems, immigration, acts of criminality, where you live and what your occupation is, and the price of fish .... since none of those topics pertain directly (sometimes not even indirectly) to the "Entertainment Industry".
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

02-Aug-2020 13:49:30

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
I hope ALL the people who contributed to this withdrawal of privilege will have the humility to learn something from it. I do not exclude myself from this.

I think you are being too hard on yourself.
You were one of the few people participating that at least had the grace to give people a fair hearing and did not lower yourself to the hysterical name-calling.
Your only other option - to disengage, would only have made it worse.

I can see where you are coming from with regard to the stifling of discussion, but I'm less bothered by it than you.
Maybe I just found the whole unedifying spectacle so distasteful that I have no wish to see a repeat and that's a price I'm willing to pay.
I have little interest in what amounts to a 'discussion' of that sort, regardless of the subject.

The crossing of the line between 'FMod' and 'thought-police' is something I find much more disturbing and hope to never see again.

02-Aug-2020 14:08:58

The contents of this message have been hidden.

02-Aug-2020 19:49:33

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
How sad, all threads have the potential to go down this road and a lot has even though they weren't politically involved.

It's good to be able to debate on issues the problem is some people take it too far, don't know how to stop, or how to say 'we need to agree to disagree' and move along. Some debates take over threads and ruin the main content, other voices get drown out by the louder ones or those that are arguing back and forth round and round. Some argue for the sake of arguing and don't' care where this argument takes them or the thread, even if a thread gets locked, they stay silent until the next big debate...

It's a shame...
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

02-Aug-2020 21:44:28 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2020 21:45:21 by Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :

Thread set up
Quick find code: 278-279-128-66092982

This idea of having a nested thread will keep the thread going even if a big debate takes over the thread, that debate will go down one track while the rest of the conversation/s will go down another track not overlapping each other, not drowning out other voices. If it gets to that stage where that debate needs to end, that part of the conversation can be stopped, locked while the thread stays open, while the rest of the conversation/s stay open.

I vote for nested type threads for the forum.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

02-Aug-2020 21:57:57 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2020 22:00:26 by Dong U Dead

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001 Back to Top