Forums

Thread set up

Quick find code: 278-279-128-66092982

Aeon Queen8
Jan Member 2018

Aeon Queen8

Posts: 16,162 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No support from me on this one - I tend to think it makes things look very messy and cluttered, and even putting aside my personal feelings I'm not sure there's really enough separate threads of conversation going on within topics these days to justify development time for it given the lesser activity of the forum. When the forums were at the peak of their activity (like the days where in some forum sections your thread would fall off page 50 within about 3 days), maybe it would have been a bit more useful.

I do understand this sort of style is probably more familiar to people these days, however, and that others may prefer it. I wouldn't mind as much if it was optional, and you could choose between both views (and there are some forums out there that cater for both styles) - but as a long time forum user (forums in general, not just the RS forums) I've never been a big fan of that particular layout style.

15-Jul-2019 22:29:52

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aeon Queen8 said :
I'm not sure there's really enough separate threads of conversation going on within topics these days to justify development time for it given the lesser activity of the forum.

I would definitely agree with you on this point - I think this would be the biggest hurdle to overcome. At what point does the effort expended to change this go beyond the benefit?

That being said, I do think it's a great idea, I'm just similarly concerned about the timing of it, considering the... ah... let's say, "quiet" nature of the RSOF as of late ;)

I also think Louiellen was on to something with this point,

Maynne said :
I support it if there is an option for people to go back to the current setup.

We know historically-speaking when something changes drastically a sector of the community demands for the old style.

:P
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

15-Jul-2019 22:45:12 - Last edited on 15-Jul-2019 22:46:17 by CM Nick

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Even though the forums are quiter these days does not mean threads don't need this - there are still debates/conversations going on that can last for pages, upon pages, they can go on for days and at times drown out other posters. Having the nested format will tiding up the thread and make it more user-friendly.

For example, my thread
Rude replies Quick find code: 278-279-696-66117763
- has two forumers having a conversation that has lasted pages - if you could imagine that conversation being in a nested format, it tidies it up, makes the conversation run smoother <- I am not saying that this conversation has drowned out other responses, it could have a possibility of doing so. I see these type of conversations happening all over RSOF, having the nested format even though the numbers of users are small we still have big conversations going on, having a nested format will make thread run smoother and make threads tider and easier on the eye.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

29-Aug-2019 23:26:45 - Last edited on 29-Aug-2019 23:30:29 by Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Another reason I feel this would be good for the forums is debate posts that can go on for pages and pages, other pasts get lost within these debates.

In my Australian thread (off topic forum) I had to ask for one of these debates to be stopped as it can disrupt the flow of the thread. If we had a nested format these debate would go down it's own path not disrupting the thread.

I believe it's a win win for all that use theses forums having a nested format.

11-Jan-2020 04:50:38

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

This idea of having a nested thread will keep the thread going even if a big debate takes over the thread, that debate will go down one way while the rest of the conversation/s will go down another track not overlapping each other, not drowning out other voices. If it gets to that stage where that debate needs to end, that part of the conversation can be stopped, locked while the thread stays open, while the rest of the conversation/s stay open.

I vote for nested type threads for the forum.

02-Aug-2020 21:49:51

Quick find code: 278-279-128-66092982 Back to Top