Forums

Thread set up

Quick find code: 278-279-128-66092982

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
@Louiellen, If Jagex set up this new format for the forums it would take far to much space to have both options, it just wouldn't be viable. I don't believe there would be a need for both, having this setup would remove a lot of problems these forums have.

Thank you all for responses and support :)

The view of RSOF can be formatted per account, that means the forumer can choose to use your suggested format or the old format. I don't think it will use a lot of space, since it only requires switching CSS.

Besides, we all know how much a certain sector of the community hate changes. To a point we have to clean-up a lot of their ranting threads usually posted outside the Rants forum section.

My counterproposal will be a win-win solution for everyone, you get the newly formatted RSOF while those that love the status quo will enjoy their status quo.

02-Apr-2019 11:19:28

Southeaster
Nov Member 2014

Southeaster

Posts: 15,318 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Is this thread advocating for forum posts to be structured in a nestled format, similar to Reddit? If that is the case, hell no, vehemently no support.

I absolutely abhor the nestled format of Reddit. A single parent comment can attract as many as a hundred direct replies, and then each reply can attract another hundred replies each. By the time you're done reading one comment chain, you can't even tell which parent the second comment chain was in response to.

Reddit comments are a complete nightmare to read once the parent comment attracts over thirty replies. I'm not going to stand for that being implemented here in the RSOF.
Runescape Forumers Discord Server

02-Apr-2019 17:14:05

Ghazgkull

Ghazgkull

Posts: 9,600 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Southeaster said :
Is this thread advocating for forum posts to be structured in a nestled format, similar to Reddit? If that is the case, hell no, vehemently no support.

I absolutely abhor the nestled format of Reddit. A single parent comment can attract as many as a hundred direct replies, and then each reply can attract another hundred replies each. By the time you're done reading one comment chain, you can't even tell which parent the second comment chain was in response to.

Reddit comments are a complete nightmare to read once the parent comment attracts over thirty replies. I'm not going to stand for that being implemented here in the RSOF.

it shouldn't even be optional. rsof needs actual fixes to actual issues before we even talk about updates like this.
WAAAGH!!!

02-Apr-2019 17:18:02

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Louiellen - the forums are yelling out for changes, we have been asking for over a decade. I am not against your idea at all, it's rather quite a good one. The only thing I worry about is space and the cost. If you're correct in that it won't take up much space I don't see why not.

@Southeaster, thanks for your reply. I don't use Reddit much. it's a completely different platform, Reddit has never been like RSOF even in RSOF hay-day, the whole atmosphere is different.

The nestled format has been used in other social media platforms, some large like Reddit, some just the same size as RSOF, even smaller. It works, it's tidy and it would remove instances where a debate between two or more people has been going on for days or even hours which can stop other people from enjoying the thread. their points, their view can get lost.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

02-Apr-2019 18:36:27

Southeaster
Nov Member 2014

Southeaster

Dong U Dead said :

@Southeaster, thanks for your reply. I don't use Reddit much. it's a completely different platform, Reddit has never been like RSOF even in RSOF hay-day, the whole atmosphere is different.

The nestled format has been used in other social media platforms, some large like Reddit, some just the same size as RSOF, even smaller. It works, it's tidy and it would remove instances where a debate between two or more people has been going on for days or even hours which can stop other people from enjoying the thread. their points, their view can get lost.

It isn't tidy.

Here, take a look, I plucked this off the front page of Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/b8j7rn/what_is_the_greatest_upset_in_sports_history/

You can see the top comment chain, which is ten comments or so. After that it's just a bunch of "hide X replies" in quick succession, and when you get to the next comment chain that isn't auto-hidden, you don't know where the conversation was carrying on from.

It's a mess!

I would rather scroll through several replies I don't care to read on a regular forum page than to open different comment chains and lose brain cells trying to figure out who replied to who and where.

03-Apr-2019 15:43:30

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

As I said Southeaster that is one platform, there are many and I mean many that use the nestled format structure. Not all nestled format will look like that. they all have there own structure a lot very nice and tidy:

FaceBook (Nestled format closed):

FaceBook (Nestled format open):

PS: @Southeaster: I like the word Nestled format :)

03-Apr-2019 18:37:47 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2019 19:03:37 by Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Have a look @ Jagex before UK Parliament 14-15-785-66093244. Pages and pages, even more pages of the same people debating.

Other peoples posts get lost amongst it all.

The Nestled format will allow for easier access to certain topics within a thread. It will allow certain players to have debates without other posters words getting lost within the debate. There is so much to like about this, there really is :P

03-Apr-2019 19:02:22

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There are advantages and disadvantages to both layouts, and so far I've agreed with just about every post here about those positions. That being said, I would support a change if the layout could be toggleable by users as a profile setting between the two.

My personal preference would be to stay on the linear layout (or whatever the term is for the current scheme), though I can understand why people might like to have a nested tree layout as it gives control over what comment tangent rabbit holes you want to dive into.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

04-Apr-2019 14:09:24

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Spearmint30 said :
There are advantages and disadvantages to both layouts, and so far I've agreed with just about every post here about those positions. That being said, I would support a change if the layout could be toggleable by users as a profile setting between the two.

My personal preference would be to stay on the linear layout (or whatever the term is for the current scheme), though I can understand why people might like to have a nested tree layout as it gives control over what comment tangent rabbit holes you want to dive into.

It also tidies up threads that have gone of track, trolling, hidden posts, and debates that go on for pages <- these are all the reason I would take the Nestled format I would love it.

04-Apr-2019 20:51:59 - Last edited on 04-Apr-2019 20:53:18 by Dong U Dead

Southeaster
Nov Member 2014

Southeaster

Dong U Dead said :
As I said Southeaster that is one platform, there are many and I mean many that use the nestled format structure. Not all nestled format will look like that. they all have there own structure a lot very nice and tidy:

FaceBook (Nestled format closed):

FaceBook (Nestled format open):

PS: @Southeaster: I like the word Nestled format :)

I'd be fine with a format like this, where you can only reply to parent comments and each parent comment is its own linear thread.

05-Apr-2019 13:09:36

Quick find code: 278-279-128-66092982 Back to Top