Forums

Local Moderation - thePurpose?

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thank you very much Nick for taking your time to address this thread and other users’ points within it. It’s a rare occurrence that any Jagex staff member engage in such detail with users on the forums.

I’ve taken onboard a lot of what you’ve said in relation to current job functions and intentions. I’m happy there has been polite discussion in here with little to no hostility. If I do come up with any ideas for additional activities or roles I think could be useful for LMods to carry out, I’ll be sure to post them, but it’s definitely been insightful to get additional information. As players it can be easy to sit a judge without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, so thank you for providing more detail and taking time out of the day to address this thread :)

For me a big thing is the JMod tools issue, amongst other things. Anyway I’ll read other posts and discussion points in this thread going forwards and respond where I would like to.

03-Sep-2020 22:55:49

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wolfblue42 said :
They had a void in the CM team for a while. I envision the original intent was to fill the void.

They seem a little redundant now since they rebuilt the CM team a little bit. I don't mind them though most are rather nice.

Didn't see the point to a 2nd batch of them without the gold account issue fixed. Just seemed like forum readers for jagex. They can just do that themselves.

Ye there were jobs posted on jagex vacancies for CM but no new mods turned up when they were taken down.

@Nick in the above quote I'm assuming Wolf is referring to the other outsourced team jagex set on however there seemed to be about 20 of them rather than 2

03-Sep-2020 22:56:45

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
Wilf said :
My question in regards to jagex reviewing a decision, such as when you've hidden a post locked a thread or banned a user, is was it as a result of your report detailing what you've done or as a result of a post on the FMR?

We've had things challenged via both channels.

Interesting, we can assume at some point something in a report has been approved and then later challenged as a result of FMR thread? Assuming the reports are read in a more timely manner than the FMR.

I wonder if that would be more the result of two different people, one reading the report, and one doing the review, or because a user changed the Jmods mind

03-Sep-2020 23:02:34

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aeroxmaster said :
Thank you very much Nick for taking your time to address this thread and other users’ points within it. It’s a rare occurrence that any Jagex staff member engage in such detail with users on the forums.

I’ve taken onboard a lot of what you’ve said in relation to current job functions and intentions. I’m happy there has been polite discussion in here with little to no hostility. If I do come up with any ideas for additional activities or roles I think could be useful for LMods to carry out, I’ll be sure to post them, but it’s definitely been insightful to get additional information. As players it can be easy to sit a judge without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, so thank you for providing more detail and taking time out of the day to address this thread :)

No problem at all - happy to give a little more information and pull back the curtain, so to speak :P

And yes, please! Any ideas would definitely be welcomed if you think of anything :)

I can definitely understand that sometimes it might be hard to get a gauge on what exactly we do here, or what goes on behind the scenes, but yeah I'm always 100% down to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge/abilities (and while adhering to my NDAs :P )

I definitely want this to be a low-stress, non-hostile environment to ask questions and get clarifications! We've had one or two threads regarding the CM program in the past that were made in bad faith or just to troll/complain, but the vaaaast vast majority of the time is just people who want a little more clarification or some more explanation of what our day-to-day looks like, and I'm always happy to oblige that!
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

03-Sep-2020 23:07:18

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :

Interesting, we can assume at some point something in a report has been approved and then later challenged as a result of FMR thread? Assuming the reports are read in a more timely manner than the FMR.

I wonder if that would be more the result of two different people, one reading the report, and one doing the review, or because a user changed the Jmods mind

I mean, I'm sure this has probably happened at least once in the 2 years we've been here, but I'm not really able to think of any specific examples. But yes that would indeed be the result of two different people doing the reviewing of our reports, and the reviewing of FMR, and it might be that they have slightly differing views on the subject, however that's entirely Jagex's domain as to what that process or hierarchy looks like when there's a disagreement, so I can't really say for sure :)

Wilf said :

@Nick in the above quote I'm assuming Wolf is referring to the other outsourced team jagex set on however there seemed to be about 20 of them rather than 2

Ahhh! Whoops, my mistake, I think you're right :P

03-Sep-2020 23:14:25 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 23:17:36 by CM Nick

Mr Brushie

Mr Brushie

Posts: 1,161 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
Mr Brushie said :
CM Nick said :
Indeed, the FMods have served here a lot longer than some CMs - myself definitely included - and that's why we work so closely alongside them on a daily basis, because they're an amazing team who have been here doing the hard work for years, and are extremely, extremely knowledgeable about the community at large

I'm going to have to call shenanigans here.

There are examples of Forum Mods who have been in the role for a very long time, but quite clearly demonstrate zero, and I do mean zero , knowledge of RuneScape at all.

Sure, some do, probably most do, but your statement is flawed.

Well, to start, I wasn't talking about the game or their knowledge about it, I was talking about their knowledge and history here within the forums of the community at large.

Secondly, intimate knowledge of the game is not a requirement for being an FMod, nor is it part of the job to field gameplay queries. However, I see a great many FMods do this all the time, going out of their way to answer questions about quests, the lore, and a great number of other things, even though it's not asked of them.

But this is a forum for an online game, so surely knowledge of the game is required to effectively moderate. Any fool can put a padlock on a thread and go "SPAM! CUT IT OUT OR I BAN YOUUUU!". But to know whether said thread is legitimate or not takes a modicum of game knowledge.

Consider if I was a moderator of a forum about Death Stars Ferrari Testarossas. If someone posted a thread proclaiming the joy of owning a Y-Bomber Chevy, I'd have to know the difference between the two in order to know whether to lock the thread or not.

03-Sep-2020 23:48:31

CM Nick

CM Nick

Mr Brushie said :

But this is a forum for an online game, so surely knowledge of the game is required to effectively moderate. Any fool can put a padlock on a thread and go "SPAM! CUT IT OUT OR I BAN YOUUUU!". But to know whether said thread is legitimate or not takes a modicum of game knowledge.

Consider if I was a moderator of a forum about Death Stars Ferrari Testarossas. If someone posted a thread proclaiming the joy of owning a Y-Bomber Chevy, I'd have to know the difference between the two in order to know whether to lock the thread or not.

Oh no, absolutely. I very much agree that investment in the game is very important, but even if there are FMods who have been here for years who maybe don't play all the time or keep up to date on the newest releases in RuneScape, they definitely know what is and isn't appropriate on the forums, or what belongs in, say, General over OT or Suggestions. If you have a general knowledge and historical appreciation of the game (which all FMods absolutely do, or they wouldn't be here) then it's not like they're moderating without any semblance of what's happening.

If you're an FMod YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! you were made an FMod for a good reason, and ORDER 66 FMod activity sweeps are done by Jagex and FMods can be let go for inactivity.

Also, looping this back around, the Senate will decide your fate if for some reason an FMod is moderating something on the forum without a huge knowledge of the game they'll either 1. defer to another FMod if they're not sure re: specifics, or if - for some reason - they make a mistake 2. it can be reviewed in FMR if someone thinks it's an incorrect action.

04-Sep-2020 00:02:15 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2020 00:04:31 by CM Nick

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,168 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mr Brushie said :

I'll say knowledge of some games and the game industry is desirable but specific knowledge on Jagex's games is not necessary.

In a court, the judge obviously doesn't have to be a drug addict, a bank robber, a con artist and such himself to make a ruling. He only needs to be consistently fair and well versed in Law in all cases.

04-Sep-2020 00:58:26

The contents of this message have been hidden.

04-Sep-2020 01:04:04

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705 Back to Top