Forums

Local Moderation - thePurpose?

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
3) I'm paid to do a job, the duties and tasks of which have been clearly outlined by Jagex, and all of my actions are overseen by Jagex in a daily report that's filed at the end of my shift. If you have any evidence or information to suggest why it might be the case that would lead to over-moderation, I'd gladly entertain it... but just suggesting that could be the case without any real explanation as to why you think that seems a bit of a leap to me.

If I were over-moderating to make it seem like we had more work to do here than we do, I'm sure Jagex would take notice of that. We don't operate in a vacuum, and we are 100% responsible for adhering to standards set by Jagex.

There have definitely been times where myself or another CM has taken an action that Jagex later deemed to be perhaps too strong when reviewing it, and the action has been lessened or reversed entirely. Again, this is because Jagex oversees the jobs we do here, and over-moderation is just as much of a concern to them as under-moderation.

We submit a report directly to Jagex at the end of every shift, with every action on the forums that we've taken, and it's reviewed by Jagex to ensure a consistency and fairness of moderation, and to make sure we're not over-stepping our bounds and are acting in the best interest of the community.
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

03-Sep-2020 20:12:39 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 20:21:15 by CM Nick

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aeroxmaster said :

In summary, at times I believe that borderline posts and threads are being removed unnecessarily (and some posts not even being borderline but because they have slight references to things which could be interpreted in negative ways, get entirely removed). LMods should have had their JMod powers by now (on condition that the original spirit of the forum rules are being kept to).

Again, we're held to the standards of Jagex and are 100% not above the law here. If you have a disagreement with our moderation at any point, the proper way to get that reviewed is to take that to FMR. Like I've said, we've definitely had decisions overturned by Poerkie, Gambit, Kari and others, and are not infallible - sometimes we may make a call that Jagex doesn't agree with, and we obviously want to know about that. Our main goal here is to serve the best interests of the community, so any further communication about how we can better do that is obviously welcomed!

Aeroxmaster said :

I think LMods could do with taking on some additional forum duties too, such as perhaps managing forum competitions and other sticky threads, etc. I would like to know more about what they do outside of moderation to......

I 100% agree with you and would be very happy to take on any additional duties of that sort! If you have any ideas regarding forum competitions you'd like to see, or any sticky threads that you feel could be useful, I'd love to hear them!

03-Sep-2020 20:17:14

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My question in regards to jagex reviewing a decision, such as when you've hidden a post locked a thread or banned a user, is was it as a result of your report detailing what you've done or as a result of a post on the FMR?

03-Sep-2020 20:39:59

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the response.

So that’s been very insightful. I’ve had a quick read and it’s good to know about the additional duties LMods do outside of moderation. I believe that transparency on that (and indeed with any of Jagex’s processes and projects etc) is very important and good for maintaining positive community relations etc.

I’ve been using these forums for a very long time. I’m very familiar with how they work and many of the changes that have occurred here. I think you must know full well that asking me for evidence of over moderation would be in contravention with discussing specific actions, which is prohibited here and I’ve clearly explained that that’s what not I’m entertaining in the OP. Throughout the time period of RSOF, for the most part it has been allowed to discuss general issues of this nature, so long as there are no attacks on specific actions or people publicly. How would we have the rule set that we have now?

Either way, you say that local moderation is audited by Jagex. I have no problem with accepting that that is the case. I believe I’ve already made reference to that in my opening post, and it is that point that I am addressing now. I do not believe that Jagex are upholding the spirit of the current rule set specifically when it comes to local moderation, if it is allowed to continue as is. I believe formers in this thread have stated vague examples, but not referenced specific incidents (which is a permitted way of addressing this topic publicly).

Problems like this can occur when there a multiple JMod reshuffles or when Jagex does not pay enough attention or provide an appropriate duty of care to ensure that moderation on all fronts complies with the foundations of the current rule set.

Anyway, on the topic of additional forum duties - I’ve been thinking of a few but not sure specifically myself yet, although open to ideas from other users too. I’ll post any as I come up with them.

03-Sep-2020 20:52:59

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
On FMR - I recall that there was a post a couple of years back where an LMod said it was almost like a matter of weeks till they get JMod backgrounds. I believe Jagex should prioritise this. I’ll look to address the point specifically later on if I get time / feel like it. In general though I believe there should be a priorities month every 3 months or so where Jagex spend a week or so on lower scale projects, such as RSOF. This isn’t the exact example in saying we should go with, but it’s a general idea for Jagex to get the gist of what I’m saying ie that waiting 2 years is simply unacceptable.

Can you imagine waiting 2 years in A&E for an issue because the staff kept re-triaging ur case to low priority? I think that’s a bit over the top imo......... Something needs to be done eventually within a specific wider time limit

03-Sep-2020 20:59:18

CM Nick

CM Nick

@Aeroxmaster - Sorry, I definitely worded that poorly. I wasn't asking for examples of over-moderation, more so why you think that as 3rd party moderators, our work would be more susceptible to it.

Aeroxmaster said :

Anyway, on the topic of additional forum duties - I’ve been thinking of a few but not sure specifically myself yet, although open to ideas from ot

Again, very much open to any and all ideas, from you and the community at large, whether it's in this thread or a suggestion thread :)

03-Sep-2020 21:17:10 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 21:17:39 by CM Nick

CM Nick

CM Nick

Wilf said :
My question in regards to jagex reviewing a decision, such as when you've hidden a post locked a thread or banned a user, is was it as a result of your report detailing what you've done or as a result of a post on the FMR?

We've had things challenged via both channels.

03-Sep-2020 21:18:40 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 21:19:26 by CM Nick

Mr Brushie

Mr Brushie

Posts: 1,161 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So I guess my question here is this:

Why?

Why are you necessary? Can't Jagex just hire internally for the duties you do? Also you work out of the Arctic Circle or something, not in the UK where Jagex is based.

I'd really like to know the answer to this.

03-Sep-2020 21:25:16

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705 Back to Top