Forums

Local Moderation - thePurpose?

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mr Brushie said :
So I guess my question here is this:

Why?

Why are you necessary? Can't Jagex just hire internally for the duties you do? Also you work out of the Arctic Circle or something, not in the UK where Jagex is based.

I'd really like to know the answer to this.

Again, that's a question for Jagex. I cannot tell you why they decided it a better idea to hire us and not have this done internally, but they did indeed decide to do that, and to keep renewing our contracts, so I trust that they have a good reason to do so.

And myself and the other CMs are based out of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. So, I mean, I guess relative to the UK, not TOO far from the Arctic Circle :P
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

03-Sep-2020 21:41:42

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's very useful information - thank you Nick!

It's nice having you guys here since you joined the company, and your presence definitely shows on RSOF. Keep up the good work you're doing with the CM- and FM team. ;)

Oh, you just answered a question that I have had for a long time; where are you based - nice to know!
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

03-Sep-2020 21:52:47 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 21:54:52 by Corder

Wolfblue42

Wolfblue42

Posts: 3,962 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They had a void in the CM team for a while. I envision the original intent was to fill the void.

They seem a little redundant now since they rebuilt the CM team a little bit. I don't mind them though most are rather nice.

Didn't see the point to a 2nd batch of them without the gold account issue fixed. Just seemed like forum readers for jagex. They can just do that themselves.

03-Sep-2020 22:03:31

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In all honesty, I don’t see why Jagex didn’t just give them laptops with restricted level JMod privileges. They gave Mod Lee a laptop to work from America, so why couldn’t they give LMods laptops in Canada? Yes I know local moderation is outsourced, but is it really difficult to add any additional restrictions and / or additional appropriate tools for their specific role to be carried out effectively on Jagex laptops?

Would be interesting to get a specific comment on this matter too, eg from someone like Mod Lyon or whoever deals with JMod privileges and laptops.

03-Sep-2020 22:05:04 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:06:28 by Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
I [was] asking [...] more so why you think that as 3rd party moderators, our work would be more susceptible to [over moderation].

I’m not sure. I can only go off of observation. Obviously my initial guess was because I was under the impression that Jagex brought in external human resources specifically for dealing with FMR as well as additional moderation itself, which could bring an inherent subconscious bias in looking specifically for things to moderate. This was something Jagex moved away from even when recruiting for player moderators, where they used to recruit them mostly based on how much reporting they did for moderation purposes but then switched to a “community focused” role.

Obviously though based on the job functions llisted, that makes it appear that the role isn’t solely moderation. I don’t however know where the majority of time goes into but as long as it helps Jagex and is cost effective (and obviously does not harm the community in any way), then there’s no big issue.

My belief however is that obviously over moderation can be detrimental and harmful and there have been many times this has been raised in past years, both on the forums and social media. Like I mentioned earlier, JMods come and go. Each new one should know the history of the community they’re working with. I’m not sure how much that actually occurs in practice however and there are various instances of FMods saying themselves that the “FMod and PMod teams have served longer than any individual Community Management JMod”.

Anyway I’m just leaving my feedback here. I don’t keep my hopes up for any change when it comes to the forums, but I always at least like to leave feedback. This is primarily a Jagex issue, as it is for them to ensure they are doing appropriate review and audit processes that are in line with what had been discussed with the Community previously. Any issues are therefore primarily on their part.

03-Sep-2020 22:31:01

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wolfblue42 said :
They had a void in the CM team for a while. I envision the original intent was to fill the void.

They seem a little redundant now since they rebuilt the CM team a little bit. I don't mind them though most are rather nice.

Didn't see the point to a 2nd batch of them without the gold account issue fixed. Just seemed like forum readers for jagex. They can just do that themselves.

There wasn't really a "2nd batch" so to speak, it was us replacing CMs on the team who went on to other projects, since our contract with Jagex is for 2 CMs here on the forums.

As such, Brandon replaced my original partner in crime Neriphyra, and then Shaddie replaced Brandon, and Arbor has now replaced Shaddie.

03-Sep-2020 22:35:36

CM Nick

CM Nick

Aeroxmaster said :

My belief however is that obviously over moderation can be detrimental and harmful and there have been many times this has been raised in past years, both on the forums and social media. Like I mentioned earlier, JMods come and go. Each new one should know the history of the community they’re working with. I’m not sure how much that actually occurs in practice however and there are various instances of FMods saying themselves that the “FMod and PMod teams have served longer than any individual Community Management JMod”.

Anyway I’m just leaving my feedback here. I don’t keep my hopes up for any change when it comes to the forums, but I always at least like to leave feedback. This is primarily a Jagex issue, as it is for them to ensure they are doing appropriate review and audit processes that are in line with what had been discussed with the Community

I fully agree that overmoderation is more often than not a detriment to the community as a whole, and I definitely see where you're coming from with regards to different JMods that have come and gone, even in the 2 years I've been here - things have the potential to get lost in the shuffle.

Indeed, the FMods have served here a lot longer than some CMs - myself definitely included - and that's why we work so closely alongside them on a daily basis, because they're an amazing team who have been here doing the hard work for years, and are extremely, extremely knowledgeable about the community at large, and very passionate about what they do.

Sincerely though, thanks for the feedback and for engaging in an open dialogue about this, because as much as we want the forum to know what our role is here, we're also very interested in constructive feedback and dialogue from players about how we can do a better job, what things you think need more focus vs. less focus, and what things you'd like to see in the future from us, and from Jagex.

03-Sep-2020 22:41:13 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:44:10 by CM Nick

CM Nick

CM Nick

Corder said :
That's very useful information - thank you Nick!

It's nice having you guys here since you joined the company, and your presence definitely shows on RSOF. Keep up the good work you're doing with the CM- and FM team. ;)

Oh, you just answered a question that I have had for a long time; where are you based - nice to know!

Thanks for the kind words :) ! And, yup, land of poutine - we're based out of Montreal :)

03-Sep-2020 22:43:35 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:49:12 by CM Nick

Mr Brushie

Mr Brushie

Posts: 1,161 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
Indeed, the FMods have served here a lot longer than some CMs - myself definitely included - and that's why we work so closely alongside them on a daily basis, because they're an amazing team who have been here doing the hard work for years, and are extremely, extremely knowledgeable about the community at large

I'm going to have to call shenanigans here.

There are examples of Forum Mods who have been in the role for a very long time, but quite clearly demonstrate zero, and I do mean zero , knowledge of RuneScape at all.

Sure, some do, probably most do, but your statement is flawed.

03-Sep-2020 22:46:31

CM Nick

CM Nick

Mr Brushie said :
CM Nick said :
Indeed, the FMods have served here a lot longer than some CMs - myself definitely included - and that's why we work so closely alongside them on a daily basis, because they're an amazing team who have been here doing the hard work for years, and are extremely, extremely knowledgeable about the community at large

I'm going to have to call shenanigans here.

There are examples of Forum Mods who have been in the role for a very long time, but quite clearly demonstrate zero, and I do mean zero , knowledge of RuneScape at all.

Sure, some do, probably most do, but your statement is flawed.

Well, to start, I wasn't talking about the game or their knowledge about it, I was talking about their knowledge and history here within the forums of the community at large.

Secondly, intimate knowledge of the game is not a requirement for being an FMod, nor is it part of the job to field gameplay queries. However, I see a great many FMods do this all the time, going out of their way to answer questions about quests, the lore, and a great number of other things, even though it's not asked of them.

03-Sep-2020 22:52:29 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:56:11 by CM Nick

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705 Back to Top