Forums

Local Moderation - thePurpose?

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705

The contents of this message have been hidden.

01-Oct-2021 15:45:54

The contents of this message have been hidden.

01-Oct-2021 16:55:05

Chief Elf
Apr Member 2017

Chief Elf

Posts: 5,115 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sorry, I just came across this thread and finally caught up to the 8th page.

CM Nick said :

Again, that's a question for Jagex. I cannot tell you why they decided it a better idea to hire us and not have this done internally, but they did indeed decide to do that, and to keep renewing our contracts, so I trust that they have a good reason to do so.

And myself and the other CMs are based out of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I personally think this was a good decision.

I can see a number of benefits of hiring a third-party from a company that is involved in CM. Of course, there’re organisational hierarchies. But I can imagine that by hiring externally, the purple Mods are offering their experience and knowledge (including information of how other games run - what works and what doesn’t), their culture (especially since they’re not from the UK as mentioned) and a different perspective.

The limitation might be that people might perceive more moderators on the forums as an increase in policing.

But I think the local mods are in an interesting position.

That’s thanks to Jagex hiring representatives from other companies, inviting them to play this game and have a chat of what they’d like to offer. For example, Jagex invited a representative from the mental health charity to have a yarn with players in-game. They assumed the purple crown when they were in-game. Whether Jagex had intended to or not, they’ve put the purple crown as a representation of a good cause, or at the very least, an influence that is heavily community focused. Another by-product is that it’s shaved off a bit of the perceived unconscious power difference between players and mods. By doing this, any other external party that steps into the local mod role, and executes their role, would (arguably) be received favourably.

The flipside is that the imagine has to be upheld but I don’t think that’s such an issue.
Mental Health
|
Sweaty Fingers
|
Mod Meadows

01-Oct-2021 17:55:03 - Last edited on 01-Oct-2021 18:12:32 by Chief Elf

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705 Back to Top