Forums

Local Moderation - thePurpose?

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705

The contents of this message have been hidden.

04-Sep-2020 01:10:59

Wolfblue42

Wolfblue42

Posts: 3,962 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mr Brushie said :

But this is a forum for an online game, so surely knowledge of the game is required to effectively moderate. Any fool can put a padlock on a thread and go "SPAM! CUT IT OUT OR I BAN YOUUUU!". But to know whether said thread is legitimate or not takes a modicum of game knowledge.

Consider if I was a moderator of a forum about Death Stars Ferrari Testarossas. If someone posted a thread proclaiming the joy of owning a Y-Bomber Chevy, I'd have to know the difference between the two in order to know whether to lock the thread or not.

Think just about every Lmod was a self admitted player of the game for years in their intro topics. So that wouldn't be an issue with the purple mods.

Fmod wise yeah that's kinda of a dead wood issue. They somewhat cleared that up with the purge of the ones that didn't post a lot like a year ago.

They should probably just retire the few that don't play the game anymore and are out of the loop. Think it happened a few times. I recall one called for rs to go mobile in the future despite there being a rs mobile beta on the front page. Wasn't a good look.

04-Sep-2020 03:35:29

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,168 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seeing is believing, let's check out the Community Manager job posts of some of the biggest Western Developers:

https://careers.blizzard.com/global/en/job/R002179/Community-Manager-Global-Publishing-Diablo-Franchise
^
Blizzard

https://www.indeed.com/q-Community-Manager-Video-Game-jobs.html?vjk=c0d30256f8be7708
^
Epic Games

https://www.indeed.com/q-Online-Gaming-Community-Manager-jobs.html?vjk=79ffb93c7f4425e8
^
Ubisoft

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/take-two-interactive-software-inc.-jobs?trk=expired_jd_redirect&currentJobId=1989635413&position=12&pageNum=1
^
Take Two Interative

None of them asked for experience playing their games. None, period!

So it is not just Jagex, but pretty much a video game industry standard that community managers are not required to be players of the games for their jobs.

04-Sep-2020 16:17:24

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said :
None of them asked for experience playing their games. None, period!

So it is not just Jagex, but pretty much a video game industry standard that community managers are not required to be players of the games for their jobs.
The player was referring to
Forum Moderators
, NOT Jagex Moderators/Community Managers/Local Moderators...
Mr Brushie said :
I'm going to have to call shenanigans here.

There are examples of
Forum Mods
who have been in the role for a very long time, but quite clearly demonstrate zero, and I do mean zero , knowledge of RuneScape at all.

Sure, some do, probably most do, but your statement is flawed.

04-Sep-2020 16:34:19

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

@Mrs Ana

Please re-read CM Nick's description of a CM's job starting from Page 2, Post 10. Their responsibilities are not limited only to the forums but other areas of the Jagex Community such as Discord and Email support, etc:

"We’re also present on the RuneScape Discord - I field a lot of questions in my DMs there, as well as occasionally help out in the server proper."

"Reading, reviewing, and answering questions in the Community Mailbox."

Jagex CMs are not just paid RSO Fmods. Their roles are quite similar to the Community Managers in other games.

04-Sep-2020 16:52:14

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

@Dilbert2001: I'm fully aware of that post. Please re-read S Palpatine's post on Page 4, Post #9. S Palpatine was referring to Forum Moderators when he made the comment that I quoted above. The job listings that you shared refer to Community Managers, something that wasn't mentioned on the quote above and something unrelated to Forum Moderators.

Furthermore, please re-read S Palpatine's post on Page 5, Post #6. Again, the player is referencing Forum Moderators and NEVER Jagex Moderators/Community Managers/Local Moderators.
Mr Brushie said :
But this is a
forum
for an online game, so surely knowledge of the game is required to effectively moderate. Any fool can put a padlock on a thread and go "SPAM! CUT IT OUT OR I BAN YOUUUU!". But to know whether said thread is legitimate or not takes a modicum of game knowledge.

Consider if I was a
moderator of a forum
about Death Stars Ferrari Testarossas.

Thanks ^_^ .

04-Sep-2020 17:25:15 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2020 17:32:46 by Mrs Ana

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

@Mrs Ana

Please realize in all the other games, the CM also have the responsibilities of moderating the forums the same way Jagex's LMods are doing now (minus the FMR).

Why does a CM in any game only needs to have experience playing the game while moderating the forums but not in other social media or answering email etc? It makes no sense why the forums are different anyway.

04-Sep-2020 17:31:55 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2020 17:32:28 by Dilbert2001

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

@Dilbert2001:

Please realize that what you shared refers to Community Managers and that's all right; however, S Palpatine's opinion was about
Forum Moderators
not having enough knowledge about the game prior to being selected for the role. I'm confused and unsure why you'd mention the requirements of becoming a Community Manager when that was never mentioned by S Palpatine. Community Managers may have all the abilities that Forum Moderators possess, but it isn't the same the other way around.

I'm not disputing what you are saying and it's fine to share something of that magnitude; however, it's irrelevant due to the fact that S Palpatine's comment was about
FORUM MODERATORS
and NOT
COMMUNITY MANAGERS/JAGEX MODERATORS/LOCAL MODERATORS

I have shown you tangible proof that the comment was made about
Forum Moderators
, but you still continue to mention Community Managers and that's cool. Anyway, thanks for the conversation ^_^ .

04-Sep-2020 17:36:07 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2020 17:38:44 by Mrs Ana

CM Arbor

CM Arbor

Local Moderator Posts: 1,945 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
To take over from Nick here, I'd first like to echo his sentiment that I'm happy to see this thread. It's been a great way to openly discuss who we LMods are with you guys and give you some proper answers, and I'm going to continue in that vein.

To those worried about moderator experience with the game, as Nick said, FMods are FMods with their own varying levels of experience in-game, and they all work together to make calls if, by some circumstance, they're unsure of a specific case due to lacking experience with game content. I'm sure those instances do happen, but the FMods are caring, smart folks with a ton of experience under their belts, and they always try to do their best on any given call, whatever it might be.

When it comes to LMods, I'll tell you what I've seen of the hiring process and how important game experience seems to be. We work for a company that offers various support-based work for video games, which includes CM. In some games and with other companies, of course, there's a chance that people with no experience with the game apply and get hired, only to demonstrate why that lacking knowledge is bad in front of the community later. For us, though, that's probably not the case in most instances.

I say this because in my case, I had to apply for the position internally, and several questions on the application were about Runescape experience. It was even mandatory for me to provide my main account's RSN, so that Jagex could confirm my experience. Sure, there might be problems basing perceived experience on account specifics, but it's also a way to ensure that you're still active in the game, at the very least, and I'm sure there was a bunch of extra vetting on Jagex's end that I'm not even aware of. Personally, I've been playing for over 15 years, and here I am, working with the community for the game that's been a constant in my life more than any other. :)

04-Sep-2020 17:40:36

Quick find code: 278-279-307-66178705 Back to Top