Feb Member 2008

Ratna Petit

Posts: 1,267 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why should a person need more motivation to do a quest? If getting
some more decent gear, millions of free experience, access to some of the best
skilling and combat training areas isn't enough, why bother doing a rigged
competition?

Forgive my previous statement.

Yes, they should in fact CANCEL this competition.

If you sat in your school class room and didn't do anything, and flunked everything,
you don't move on. You don't progress.

Whereas people who did do stuff, actually earned it, and deserve it.

And yes, I meant the two titles and new cape as a new update. Something actually
worth the time more than tracking accounts for 2 days.

Funfact, if you have more than 250 Quest points, you CANNOT win this competition.
200 is pushing it, but 250 is out of the question. So even those WITHOUT the cape
get screwed over.

Reward those who earn it by doing the Quest, instead of trying to entice them with
something stupid.

Oh, and they need to stop excluding people. Even if this is a changing game
it undermines the achievements. They're already on slippery slopes with making
new completionist cape requirements because making any current ones into
trimmed requirements would apparently be undermining.
Ohapute~!

18-Mar-2015 23:19:53 - Last edited on 18-Mar-2015 23:32:42 by Ratna Petit

Omega
Apr Member 2010

Omega

Posts: 219 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Will you be able to choose what godsword you win? I don't mind the bgs, but I'd prefer a sgs over the rest of them. Also, are there any other prizes aside from the title and the sword? 'cause the newspost made it seem like there were several.

18-Mar-2015 23:34:19

Quester

Quester

Posts: 492 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yep you are right about the motivation, it is there. But many don't seem to take it and/or care about it. Jagex does want to motivate as many people as possible to play the content, that way maybe some will get interested = more interest in quests = more quest development time to spend. (Quote from a jmod on either this topic or on reddit, can't remember)

Cancelling the competition wont be happening, it is too late for that now that they announced it and made changes based on player feedback. Also I don't want the competition to be cancelled since I am training an account for it after all, and want to have a new experience with speedrunning the quests I love to do in a competition styled feel :p (Could call me selfish for that, true).

And by the way, you will need less then 100 quest points since you can just do quests up untill you are about to complete them, and mass complete all the non-quest requirement quests at once when competition starts. Filthy way to go about it, but will be needed if you wanna make a chance.
Quest(i)val King - Gamebreaker - Proud CWafkers general - Master Quester and Lorehound - Going for Insane Final Boss

18-Mar-2015 23:38:32 - Last edited on 19-Mar-2015 00:00:51 by Quester

Ratna Petit
Feb Member 2008

Ratna Petit

@Quester

Selfish.

Also, why do they need to motivate you to speedrun it? There are actual speedrunning sites where you can stream your gameplay and race other's times
or even set your own records for others to try to beat. And yeah, that makes it
even worse that you need less than 100 Quest Points. What's the point?

Hell, you could even make up your own stuff on things like YouTube. Compete
with yourself. You don't need to be elitist and try to prove you're better than
everyone else.

Also, Jagex doesn't need to motivate people any more than the current rewards.
It's all a waste of time. If a player thinks the quests are stupid, they'll always
think that and Mod Osborne's work is just thrown into the garbage when you
skip all the lore.

Also, no, I'm not being elitist or selfish. I'm being realistic. If you don't do the
content with the current rewards, it's your own fault. You limit yourself by
not doing them. You don't deserve any extra reward for doing it just because
you sucked too much to do it already.

It's like a 1-defence pure who wants to go to Ape Atoll so he
can train agility or ranged, but without the Monkey Madness reward.

Granted, EOC ruined most 1-defence pures, but there are still a few around.

Edit: Also, it's not impossible to take back an update, or tweak it after release.
Just look at skillcapes getting their toggle because people apparently preferred
the original design after all.
Ohapute~!

19-Mar-2015 00:00:58 - Last edited on 19-Mar-2015 00:11:15 by Ratna Petit

Quester

Quester

Posts: 492 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sorry, elitist? Selfish ok, but I am NOT in favour of this competition because I want to show off and prove myself to be 'better' then others. Thought I made that clear with my posts... I take 'elitist' as a very rude insult. Reason why I don't do this more often is because I don't want to make a new account over and over and over and over again. A 1 time experience is enough, and this competition is that perfect moment since I'll be competing with others too which is a drive for me.

Disregarding that, yeah I agree with you being realistic about this subject (so am I). We just have different views. My personal opinion is that this competition could potentially increase the quester base community, and it won't encourage spacebarring by such a big amount that it is significant (since majority of rs players spacebar anyway). The lore and narrative developers are designing the story for the lore lovers, for our own community of questers and lorehounds, for people that love the story of the game! The potential of getting 3 or 5 more people interested in the lore through this competition outbalances the cons, in my believe.

Also closing the discussion with this, think we spammed this topic enough.
Quest(i)val King - Gamebreaker - Proud CWafkers general - Master Quester and Lorehound - Going for Insane Final Boss

19-Mar-2015 00:27:33 - Last edited on 19-Mar-2015 00:38:19 by Quester

Ratna Petit
Feb Member 2008

Ratna Petit

Quester said :
Reason why I don't do this more often is because I don't want to make a new account over and over and over and over again. A 1 time experience is enough.

Hey! This happens to be why the other 14,000 Quest Cape owners aren't interested in
other people getting extra rewards for no extra work!

And I take that (extra reward for no extra work) as a serious insult. As much as you
take being called an 'elitist'.

Also, once again, if I may point you to searching "SRL" on Google, you should find
something called Speed Runs Live. They have streamers do a lot of different games.

If you want to increase the Questing Community, start up a following on that.
Not by encouraging people to half-ass the quests for something that
everyone should be eligible for.
Ohapute~!

19-Mar-2015 00:40:03

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

Posts: 8,551 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Helring said :
Yusou Bhoroi said :

I agree with Helring, about the quest perhaps being harmful, in that it glamorises, and encourages lore-avoidance (found that a little ironic, coming from that source, though :p ), and perhaps the title would work best, if everything said, while wearing it, was just rendered as spaces? :D

What do you mean that its ironic coming from me? I love the lore =)

I meant from the stance of being against content avoidance (though I'd agree that the situations differ a little), as a joint Minigame shop could encourage people to avoid trying certain games - similar to avoiding reading, or doing, certain quests.

I love lore, too, though I rate a few minigames higher (just cus I'm muppetty). :D

19-Mar-2015 00:47:03

Helring
Mar Member 2005

Helring

Posts: 4,609 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Quester said :

Back to the competition. If there was any way to make a competition around quests that got to involve everyone, even those with all quest complete, jagex would have done that.

Quests aren't really "competition" material. Speedrunning them defeats the whole purpose of many of them. Quests are generally Lore content which means taking your time and learning and reading all the dialogue and books and such. Its not something that lends itself to a winner take all competition.

As such, Jagex shouldn't have made a quick or winner take all competition. It should have been something that encouraged questing, wasn't based on speed, and those who quested got rewarded.

Such as everyone who did a quest during the weekend getting a title (Broken Home counting for players who have quest cape), and then the Godsword being raffled.

Or, given that Quest*val is 2 weeks. They could have given everyone 2 weeks to complete all f2p quests which wouldn't requiring rushing. Again, everyone that finishes it gets a special title and a chance at the Godsword in a raffle.

Neither of these would require players to pay for a separate membership. Neither of them would have encouraged rushing quests as quickly as possible.

I know there's the argument that players rush quests anyway, that is true that some do and its unavoidable. However, Jagex does not have to encourage this behavior in their events. Quests are not competitive content and as such the events they do have should be about getting people into enjoying quests and not encouraging players to speedrun them. Jagex should base their events on allowing players to fully explore the quests they're doing, if they're so inclined. With the event they've created even those that enjoy quests will speedrun them to try to win, they needed to make it so that the player doesn't have to skip the lore to have a chance.

19-Mar-2015 01:16:35 - Last edited on 19-Mar-2015 01:20:20 by Helring

Slave

Slave

Posts: 749 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honestly, take this into account: You see someone with the Quest*val King/Queen title, walk up to them, say "Hey, nice title did you enjoy Fate of the gods?" Their response "Fate of the what?" *facepalm* Hopefully, you see where I'm getting at. Either that or there will be that one trimmed comp owner who just has to have this title :( ...good luck to those who participate :p
#Taemtypo
-
Friends
-
Games
-
Love
-

Just kidding ;)

19-Mar-2015 02:33:12

Dark Mist

Dark Mist

Posts: 741 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No fair! I'm comped this is just wrong :(
" Maseo : Do not presume to know me. Until you've held your dying child in your arms. Until you've told him everything will be okay. So that the last words he ever hears are a lie. You know nothing."

19-Mar-2015 03:49:48

Quick find code: 254-255-460-65590572 Back to Top