Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Oni-Lilith

Oni-Lilith

Posts: 24 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They gonna have to do something about the world scaling whatever they
like it or not.
This game was not made for all the graphics that we have right now. Rivers, forests distances, a barbarian village 5s of runnin form city makes no sense even for a fantasy game. Huge forests, lakes, swamps, new mountains could added. A new game engine would help everyone, especially programmers to straightening out the code.
Also loadstones should be removed or locked behind city reputation grind with timer on it or something.

20-Apr-2018 15:21:22

Nimsy
Jun Member 2019

Nimsy

Posts: 315 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I support a distance expansion.

In OSRS this isn't an issue because the concept of the game is simplicity and that works well for it. However, with more advanced combat systems and a massive and depthful lore, RS3 is bursting to be a huge game but it's confined to such a small area.

The distances between areas are currently irrelevant. I feel bad for the design teams who put effort into creating the landscape between popular areas because it is experienced.

I'm sure that

Also, if the distances are not expanded, you may as well remove the 'run energy' mechanic. Thanks to loadstones which are placed less than a minute away from eachother (not to mention the dozens, maybe hundreds, of other teleportation methods with numerous items), I haven't run out of run energy in about 5 years. Run energy might as well not exist because we never have to travel far enough on foot for it to run out...

20-Apr-2018 18:28:07

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Posts: 566 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I also support the proposal for expanded distances.

As stated by other users on this thread, the draw distance in NXT makes the congestion and small size of Gielenor more pronounced. It also produces the unwanted effect of highlighting geographic inconsistencies. The author has mentioned on the first page the stark contrast between Lumbridge and neighboring Al Kharid. The climates of these two areas could not be much less similar, and draw distance only exacerbates the abrupt transition.

The author of a similar thread entitled “Inflate the map” has proposed in that thread that core locations would not have to be rescaled, only the distances in between increased. This would eliminate the need for the entire map to be redesigned, saving a lot of development time and making an update to increase the scale of the game world more feasible as a result.
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

27-Apr-2018 17:39:38

Byzantinist

Byzantinist

Posts: 337 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Last time I checked, the Wilderness, the desert, the Elven lands, dungeons, etc. more than make up for a lack of space. Besides, there are so many things to do in Runescape that it essentially seems pointless to introduce buffer zones between kingdoms and towns.

To become feasible, you'd have to make traveling an essentially risky but rewarding option for players, dispersing precious resources and powerful slayer monsters along the way, as an alternative for cramping them up within confined spaces. Dungeoneering-like encounters could work- instead on the surface- spanning over grasslands, hills, mountains, forests, craters. The solution could be to keep the game-map as big as it is now, BUT: the area between cities has a border, similiar to a gate or a portal of some sort blocking entrance. One can choose to go through and instantly pop up in the other city, or make a "field trip".

I'll give an example of how this thing could look in theory; feel free to add anything you like:

Some player walks through an INSTANCED area spanning a few hundred meters between city A and B. There is danger lurking within the zone in the form of obstacles (e.g. agility), yet going on foot seems a tempting alternative over teleporting, because the loot one might get from these encounters is potentially worth more than an hour of doing conventional combat or skilling runs. Along the way might be hidden treasure or monsters waiting for the player to pass by. The monsters and resources have their difficulty adapted to player's skill level. The encounters are randomly generated, much like dungeoneering and temple trekking, so any pack of monsters, resource, or obstacles that a player gets through will give at least the quadruple amount of xp and loot, without requiring to be on some task either.
Sometimes one must operate within the
shadows
to serve the
light
. For a man makes no noise over a good deed, but passes on to another as a vine to bear fruits again in season, in order that the world may ever be new.

27-Apr-2018 22:25:54 - Last edited on 30-Apr-2018 11:50:30 by Byzantinist

T R I X
Oct Member 2010

T R I X

Posts: 522 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just scale up the world you lazy cows and stop giving us useless content that we never asked for!!!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

27-Apr-2018 22:51:18 - Last edited on 27-Apr-2018 22:51:39 by T R I X

A Thorondor

A Thorondor

Posts: 927 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maybe they could experiment a bit with this idea and see how people like bigger areas before actually doing all the work. There probably will be a lot of downsides for the gameplay althought it makes the feel of RS more realistic.

I propose they make a new area or continent which is focused on exploring and bigger distances, just to see how people like it. It would be a worthwhile addition too, rather than just a redesign that doesn't add new content. Priffdinas, Menaphos and the Arc were met with mixed response, but overall people seem to like it more than other content.

04-May-2018 12:41:49

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Posts: 566 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A Thorondor said :
Maybe they could experiment a bit with this idea and see how people like bigger areas before actually doing all the work. There probably will be a lot of downsides for the gameplay althought it makes the feel of RS more realistic.

I propose they make a new area or continent which is focused on exploring and bigger distances, just to see how people like it. It would be a worthwhile addition too, rather than just a redesign that doesn't add new content. Priffdinas, Menaphos and the Arc were met with mixed response, but overall people seem to like it more than other content.

I agree that an update to increase the scale of the game world would be a lot of work. It may be wise for Jagex to test the update by expanding a small portion of the world before investing a large amount of resources in the full update.

One of the main purposes of an update to increase the scale of the game world is to alleviate clutter. While the addition of a new continent may not necessarily create clutter, it would have no impact on the many areas which are already congested.

A new continent would also have to offer an objective gameplay benefit in order to be worthwhile. Such a benefit would likely take the form of one or more new training methods with relatively high experience rates, as experience gain is one of the most effective incentives for players. However, this form of benefit tends to compromise existing training methods, creating obsolete content in the process.

An initial rescale of a single area would be a better test for a global rescale than would a new continent, as only the former would allow players to directly compare existing areas with expanded versions of those areas.
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

09-Jun-2018 22:19:40

Pachuli714
Mar Member 2008

Pachuli714

Posts: 4,549 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kill Count said :
Mod Pips answer to a similar question during his AMA on reddit :

We're considering it but it requires a massive update to move everything around and keep all of the content working, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (we could be using that time to do cool new content!

-----
So nothing is really guaranteed.

Yes, like Elite Dungeons and Runepass events. I understand. "Cool content" indeed.

07-Jul-2018 14:44:52

Jack Flac
Feb Member 2022

Jack Flac

Posts: 6,207 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seasons Past said :

An initial rescale of a single area would be a better test for a global rescale than would a new continent, as only the former would allow players to directly compare existing areas with expanded versions of those areas.
Well, if they were to do a portioned upscale, the easiest thing to upscale would probably be a dungeon such as Taverly or similar. Something that has exit points which connect to the upper world, yet doesn't have any thing like TT coordinates involved with it, woud likely be easiset.

REalisticly, what needs to happen is they need to actually maintain their codebase, rather than just add to it. The whole spaghetti code thing comes from them not properly maintaining it. You can't just add to code, you have to be constantly cutting away the unnescecary parts so that it runs smoother, and is easier to deal with going forward.

Not only that, write your code so that it can be easily modified and improved upon in the future. And from what I've gathered reading comments from JMods, this has not been the standard practice at Jagex.
Leader of The Enemy ||
The opposite of Justice is simply another Justice. What is Evil is subjective to each person.
YOU
are their evil

08-Jul-2018 02:55:37

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top