Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

zaofermgorte
Dec Member 2023

zaofermgorte

Posts: 157 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
i know the scaling of mountains and distance between certain areas can look a little ridiculous depending on how you look at it... but for me it's what i'm used to ^_^

i like that runescape is quite a small world because i think it fits the player base that we have. i kind of like to travel to an area and know there's going to be other players to interact with. i fear that an expansion will only lead to further unexplored areas, perhaps mainly for daily tasks such as herb runs, making potion flasks etc. where travel distance and time spent is key to whether or not you do it.

i also feel that with the motion of the game (i.e. past areas that we can now freely teleport (elf city clans - teleport scrolls - portals - grouping system - lodestone network, etc..)) it will just encourage jagex to implement more ways to travel around.

just my personal opinion :P i would still love rs even with this change
- Player of Minigames , Slayer of Monsters , Member of Montys Crusaders -

27-Sep-2018 20:55:43

Yaaami
Aug Member 2023

Yaaami

Posts: 1,318 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A reddit post suggesting rescaling on beginner areas such as Lumbridge and Taverley. How feasible would it be to rescale just one place, such as Lumbridge, as an experiment?

https://redd.it/aoe9cf
Thoughts and opinions of a Japanese RuneScape enjoyer c:

08-Feb-2019 12:34:42 - Last edited on 08-Feb-2019 12:44:09 by Yaaami

Jon Stryder

Jon Stryder

Posts: 7,372 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Yaaami:

Imagine printing out a large map of Gielinor, then cutting out a Lumbridge shaped hole in the middle. Now replace that bit you just cut out with a bit twice as big, and try fitting it back into that same hole - it's not going to fit.

No, the two areas would effectively be two separate maps, or 'instances' if you will. And whenever anyone crosses the boundary between the two, one map will be loaded, and the other discarded. Now it is absolutely possible for Jagex to do this, and they have used this technique to great effect previously, however this could introduce it's own set of problems due to the transition between the two maps.

Where this has been done before, the separate areas have limited access with only a few key points of entry, so that disruption caused by the transition is kept to a minimum. It is also helpful if there is something preventing either side of the transition being seen from the other, especially when there is a change of scale involved. (For example, the Broken Home mansion, which is much larger on the inside than it appears on the world map - if you are outside the mansion you cannot see inside, and vice versa.) I'm not sure how feasible this would be for an area like Lumbridge which has unlimited, open access on all sides.

If you are going to just resize one specific area, it would be much easier to start with somewhere isolated such as an island, or a dungeon that only has one entrance, which wouldn't have any neighbouring areas that would be affected.
–= MEGA Construction Rework =–

Freeform Buildings, Surface World Plots, Community Involvement, Environments, Skills and much, much more...!

11-Feb-2019 21:06:08 - Last edited on 23-Mar-2019 11:35:16 by Jon Stryder

lron Oboi

lron Oboi

Posts: 6,992 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Damn it's been a while
~ Just Say Neigh To The evolution Of Combat #95% Of Rs Population

~ I Am fat, dont hate. ~http://**u***/dAU6y.jpg ~ JAGEX BE HAITIN AUSTRALIANS.

~ Gotta shrink ya signature to under 4 lines BRO #FORUM MOD ~ Cool story bro

[choc

11-Mar-2019 21:03:15

Apotheostate
Mar Member 2015

Apotheostate

Posts: 1,099 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jon Stryder said :
Imagine printing out a large map of Gielinor, then cutting out a Lumbridge shaped hole in the middle. Now replace that bit you just cut out with a bit twice as big, and try fitting it back into that same hole - it's not going to fit.

This assumes that only one piece of content would be resized at a time. A much more feasible (albeit long-term) solution would be to cut up everything into pieces, separate them a bit, and then make filler for the gaps left in between.

I'm sure most of this could be procedurally generated, but it would still be a massive update with the potential to mess up a lot of things. For one, pretty much anything relating to the game's coordinate system would need to be updated (clue scrolls, npc/item spawns, teleport locations, etc).

Would it be worth it in the long run? I think so, but it definitely be a massive project.
We should die for the things we believe in
Not live our lives in the dark - self-deceiving

13-Mar-2019 02:53:05 - Last edited on 13-Mar-2019 02:54:01 by Apotheostate

tvt 3
Dec Member 2023

tvt 3

Posts: 22 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Quantity over quality for Jagex. Instead of making the quality better, they would rather add more and more "content" to the game... Feels bad man.

"because this would take a long time and it's hard, no" - mtx exec
Addicted/cyber-enslaved since 2007.

13-Mar-2019 21:46:26

Hax

Hax

Posts: 253 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Expansion as I briefly reviewed shows pets to make the world yet smaller... you can ride them so its smaller see?

Don't care about that to be honest. the game world is pretty large as it is. seems a bit small because they keep adding so much to it everywhere.. Do you remember what it was like to want to go to a game a castle wars (in any world) from Camelot? Nice little walk without a ring.

I agree on adding new areas but not maximizing the tiny squares to be acers per square.

14-Mar-2019 06:52:49

Jor Ulfrsson

Jor Ulfrsson

Posts: 6,288 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It is unfortunate that JaGEx is spending time and effort on future updates that will not bring anything more to the game other than new pets, cosmetics, new armor and weapons, and new ways to make money and experience. It's actually quite ridiculous...this should be on the polls, but yet JaGEx controls what we see on those polls, hardly asking what the players really want. "Do you want a newly drawn cape, or an old version cape?" We find ourselves at the end of our amusements.

05-May-2019 22:51:39

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top