Forums

Chambers of Xeric Revisited

Quick find code: 380-381-536-66078130

Cornflake
Mar Member 2023

Cornflake

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think the scrolls being tradeable is a very bad thing. It's just going to result in a x+1 meta where the alt/party owner buys a bunch of scrolls off of other players. This is especially going to be broken for (ironman) soloers as they will just buy a bunch of scrolls on their main/alt and raid like that. 1+1 will become meta with scouting gone and tradeable scrolls.

Another suggestion I'd like to make is to be able to store kindling in the braziers at Ice Demon, and then lighting the braziers whenever you want, probably when you have enough kindling in there to unfreeze the demon.

23-Jan-2019 17:42:13 - Last edited on 23-Jan-2019 17:42:47 by Cornflake

ADHDerral

ADHDerral

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Can the scaling for raids be looked at? Currently if you don't hit a certain combat scale you have a significantly less chances of receiving a drop..

This really affects lower level accounts and if the accounts are able to complete raids and skillful enough to do it, I don't see why there needs to be a combat scale in place.

23-Jan-2019 17:46:29

Zelda_Krazy
Aug Member 2008

Zelda_Krazy

Posts: 5,953 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Getting rid of small scavs is amazing. Monster examine is going to bring in quite a lot of information we've been seeking since release and I am excited to use this.

I love that you're going to make to weighted to more likely get scavs before things like thieving or Ice Demon. Anything that makes desirable raids more common, the better.

Can't tell you how many times I've gotten stuck with lizardman fangs and an elite clue, very happy to see this as an additional drop now. (Although now I'll get fangs and saltpetre with my clues)

Super stoked to try out the new mechanics on the rooms.

Ward scrolls are very interesting, but I don't think they should be tradable. I understand you're trying to prevent 3rd party scouting, but making these tradable just completely changes the meta, especially for ironmen that would just buy the scroll on their main and run 1+1 raids. I'm not sure scroll are the right way to go about it. Also not sure I fully understand the mechanics, would it completely dodge the room, or would it replace the room? If it dodges, we could theoretically get a 1 combat 1 puzzle raid, which should not be possible.

Raids in general should be a bit more desirable so that people don't feel like they need to scout 30 raids to get something half decent. With the Room balancing, this is greatly helpful toward that. Perhaps when you make a party for a raid, as the leader you can get presented with 3-5 raids on the board, where you MUST pick one of them to do? The mechanics of this may not be possible, but would likely involve needing to actually complete the raid to get a new set of 3-5 raids to pick from. In the short term if people don't like their 3-5 raid choice they could use an alt, or another party member, but overall you would eventually have to pick and complete one to get a new choice set.

23-Jan-2019 17:50:55 - Last edited on 23-Jan-2019 18:27:21 by Zelda_Krazy

RandiRand
Jun Member 2016

RandiRand

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I honestly think that removing the ability to scout entirely will be a huge mistake. some people just dont want to do certain bosses whatsoever so if they run into something like tekton/vespula and refuse to do them it will just end with wasted supplies and an abandoned raid.

23-Jan-2019 18:08:39

cannot pvp
Mar Member 2024

cannot pvp

Posts: 3 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I really like the changes, but I don't think the scrolls are the right way to approach a "removal of scouting" motion.

The inherent reason people scout is not only to skip the rooms you don't want, but also to pinpoint rooms you do want. For example, the current solo meta is to run in with any tightrope + crabs combination because that's the fastest.

The other main reason you scout is to set your gear up. With this proposed change, you'd always need a salve (mages), antipoison (shamans), stab weapon (vasa), crush weapon (tekton), main weapon (olm), and lockpick if you want to speed up thieving. This change makes it very hard for new players to get into CoX, and only serves to make current raids just a bit faster or less annoying.

Another thing I can see improvements on is the thieving room. I don't think removing the thieving requirement is the correct approach because raiding should scale with your other skills aswell. I'd propose that the thieving level requirement remains unchanged, but if you have a lockpick in your inventory you can always thief the chests. Another option would make looting chests faster with a higher thieving level but accessable to everyone.

Other than that, fantastic work and I can't wait to see the changes live!

23-Jan-2019 18:08:56

Fluffy Tail
Jan Member 2024

Fluffy Tail

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think it's important to, in addition to puzzle/combat scrolls, that a scroll is added for raid length . Currently, the efficient meta is Tightrope, Crabs, and 3 combat. All bosses but vangs are typically done. This is due to the speed at which all these rooms can be completed, resulting in consistent <25min raids. This will change due to point balancing (such as thieving being faster to complete and less worthless in points), but because Olm gives such a large bulk of the points (which I don't think should change), more raids/hr is more important than easier/faster rooms.

So, the scrolls are a good idea, especially for more casual raiders that want to avoid rooms they aren't good at, but having scrolls to preference smaller or even larger raids should have as much importance as the room types themselves.

Also, if we're removing scouting (which i think is a positive thing; nobody likes it, it makes raids *require* the use of a 3rd party client, and cheats the system) then there absolutely needs to be a bank placed in the chambers lobby so that you can adjust your inventory to whatever layout you get before going in. Inventory space becomes extremely limited, especially for ironmen/uim, so taking the whole kitchen sink to account for every room isn't viable. I imagine you can add a cooldown timer then for bailing on that raid, to prevent scouting, but no matter how it's actually done I feel there absolutely needs to be a way to prep while knowing the layout.

23-Jan-2019 18:11:14

Jjozzie
Jun Member 2005

Jjozzie

Posts: 1,643 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It feels the scrolls for scouting are a strange fix, feels "unnatural". As someone posted about people don't just scout to avoid certain rooms, they also scout to get rooms they like.

Current most decent teams will take the majority of rotations that has ropes and crabs in it because they're simply they best puzzles for points and speed respectively. The puzzles are the reason the majority of good teams scout and the changes suggested in the blog whilst making ice and thieving better than they currently are, won't make them even comparable to rope and crabs.

Speeding these rooms up by offering something like half the grubs required for thieving or less kindling required for ice demon and/or quicker melting phase would make ice and thieving much more appealing, cutting down the need to scout by a lot.

Seven of the combat rooms are pretty well balanced, the outlier being vanguards. This room is much too slow compared to the other seven and whilst it is fun to do and has the chance to be rewarding with the brews/restores/possible overload for soloers, in team raids it gets skipped in the majority of rotations because it's simply very slow.

Not every room has to or should be perfectly balanced to match another room, however thieving, ice demon and vanguards are so far away from the other rooms in terms of either points, speed, potions or a combination of each.

23-Jan-2019 18:20:53 - Last edited on 23-Jan-2019 21:22:53 by Jjozzie

Fluffy Tail
Jan Member 2024

Fluffy Tail

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Something to consider: Maybe, as part of eliminating scouting, chambers should be changed to be a fixed length?

Like has been said, the meta for scouts is the meta mainly due to speed , not just points. If raids were fixed at say, 6 or 7 rooms, you remove a large incentive to scout (to find 5 room raids) while compensating for that nerf in pts/hr by allowing the room adjusting of scrolls.

23-Jan-2019 18:54:45

Quick find code: 380-381-536-66078130 Back to Top