Forums

Dev Blog: The Grand Exchange

Quick find code: 380-381-138-65551054

Tito Jenkins

Tito Jenkins

Posts: 11 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Gulma1 said :
Not One said :
"It would not replace the original, manual trade system, it would exist alongside it."
^This
Although it may seem obvious, this statement is why the GE seems like the right path. It means that people who like the GE, they are allowed to trade over it. And the people who don't like the GE, they are too allowed to not trade over it.
I personally like the idea of the GE due to; a possible increase of players, better known prices of items and one that really hits home for me and many other players, its just about impossible to be scammed over the GE.
I liked the nostalgic feel of OSRS but its time for a change. This is more than a game I used to play 7 or 8 years ago, it's a game I play today and I want it to evolve into something bigger. I know a few people won't agree with me but all I can say is I hope the community votes this change through and who knows, maybe if things don't work out if it does pass, it could be removed again anyway.
Happy scaping friends.

This is hilarious.

How do you expect to not use the GE if people everyone trades over GE?

They're saying the people who like the idea of a GE will use it, those who do not like the idea can just stay away from it and sit in W1 with autochat on/watch for someone with the auto they are looking for.

10-Jan-2015 00:40:34

FaTalyWound

FaTalyWound

Posts: 34 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Most of your counter-arguments do not disprove the original arguments. For example the original argument that players will be more easily able to buy smaller quantities was made and you counter-argued that this is simply not true that you personally have bought smaller quantities of items.Well I would argue that the MAJORITY of the time I personally try to buy items in smaller quantities I am met with "sorry only selling multiples of 1000" or "no only selling all, sorry". The introduction of the GE WILL help to buy smaller quantities of items because there are NO pre-allotted increments. One personal experience does not disprove the screams of thousands. Most of your counter-arguments repeat this sadly. Also here is my opinion of the "easy-scape" argument you have made-

The GE does not make the game easier, it makes it more enjoyable. The time put into skilling and combat are still required. The primary draw of the game should be player interaction, questing, PvP, skilling, bossing, etc...and not the endless cycle of standing in a bank spamming "buying swordies 250 each-FatalyWound" until someone bites. The GE helps to cut out the boring and time consuming inbetween and allows players to get back into action faster. How can this be a bad thing?

Does it really make sense to keep content out of the game for nostalgic reasons that hurt gameplay?

10-Jan-2015 00:46:25

FaTalyWound

FaTalyWound

Tito Jenkins said :
Gulma1 said :
Not One said :
"It would not replace the original, manual trade system, it would exist alongside it."
^This
Although it may seem obvious, this statement is why the GE seems like the right path. It means that people who like the GE, they are allowed to trade over it. And the people who don't like the GE, they are too allowed to not trade over it.
I personally like the idea of the GE due to; a possible increase of players, better known prices of items and one that really hits home for me and many other players, its just about impossible to be scammed over the GE.
I liked the nostalgic feel of OSRS but its time for a change. This is more than a game I used to play 7 or 8 years ago, it's a game I play today and I want it to evolve into something bigger. I know a few people won't agree with me but all I can say is I hope the community votes this change through and who knows, maybe if things don't work out if it does pass, it could be removed again anyway.
Happy scaping friends.

This is hilarious.

How do you expect to not use the GE if people everyone trades over GE?

They're saying the people who like the idea of a GE will use it, those who do not like the idea can just stay away from it and sit in W1 with autochat on/watch for someone with the auto they are looking for.

I think as most that if the GE is introduced most trading will be done through the interface, but this isn't automatically a bad thing, and the option to trade in other ways such as using a third party site is still viable.

10-Jan-2015 00:48:46

Spel Casta

Spel Casta

Posts: 208 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FaTalyWound said :

The GE does not make the game easier, it makes it more enjoyable. The time put into skilling and combat are still required. The primary draw of the game should be player interaction, questing, PvP, skilling, bossing, etc...and not the endless cycle of standing in a bank spamming "buying swordies 250 each-FatalyWound" until someone bites. The GE helps to cut out the boring and time consuming inbetween and allows players to get back into action faster. How can this be a bad thing?

Does it really make sense to keep content out of the game for nostalgic reasons that hurt gameplay?

Since you can't be bothered to look through the thread, here's an earlier post that helps to explain why the G.E. is a bad thing.

Spel Casta said :
Drius Nyc said :
People.... The few who are against bringing the GE into osrs....
You're really going to sit here and say you enjoy going on **bez and posting buy and sell offers there, waiting for the buyer/seller, and hopping worlds just to get your 1,000 sharks or ranarr?

Are you incapable of multitasking?

I do other things while my things sell, you know. It's not difficult.

Plus, there's a lot more issues than price manipulation (though the ability to buy hundreds, thousands of an item at a time across all worlds instantly and anonymously inflate item prices with alternate accounts really doesn't help), such as the massive inflation Coinshare causes and the devaluation of skilling due to the easiness of just paying to get everything you need, and the inflation caused by being able to instantly sell everything instead of having to spend time listing and selling it piece by piece which is actually beneficial to the economy.

But you can just cover your ears and pretend the few precious minutes g.e. somehow saves you while running the economy into the ground, if you like.

10-Jan-2015 00:51:39

Spel Casta

Spel Casta

Posts: 208 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.

I think as most that if the GE is introduced most trading will be done through the interface, but this isn't automatically a bad thing, and the option to trade in other ways such as using a third party site is still viable.

No, alternative trading will not be viable. Most, if not all, of the resources and items listed for sale will be done so on the G.E., manipulated by it and stuck there until it's bought. Other forms of trading will be far reduced.

I'll say it for the first, and last, time. If you want the G.E. so bad and for the game to be made easier, go play Runescape 3. It has Legacy mode now, and everything you want.

Quit ruining oldscape for the rest of us.

10-Jan-2015 00:53:22

Swurds123

Swurds123

Posts: 17 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The GE was the first update of the series of updates that caused RuneScape to enter its decline. It preceded the free trade and wilderness removal update, which removed about a million RS players from the game. I just liked the way RS was before these updates.

Another concern is how are Unid herbs going to be traded? With the GE, there would be a bunch of items named "herb" that are completely undistinguishable and a player may end up spending lots of money on herbs that they have no clue what the are. In order to fix this problem, unids would become "grimy" and "clean", another less "Old School" part of the game. You would have no clue what you were buying if that did not happen.

Also, I like having to work for the items I need rather than just putting a bid in for one in the computer. I like having to meet up with the person and making the trade.

Sad to see OSRS is going this way. If you enjoy a game with no EOC but the GE, there is a solution and that's called LEGACY MODE of RS3.

10-Jan-2015 00:54:24

Swurds123

Swurds123

Posts: 17 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Spel Casta said :

No, alternative trading will not be viable. Most, if not all, of the resources and items listed for sale will be done so on the G.E., manipulated by it and stuck there until it's bought. Other forms of trading will be far reduced.

I'll say it for the first, and last, time. If you want the G.E. so bad and for the game to be made easier, go play Runescape 3. It has Legacy mode now, and everything you want.

Quit ruining oldscape for the rest of us.

I agree 100%

10-Jan-2015 00:56:05

FaTalyWound

FaTalyWound

Spel Casta said :
The GE does not make the game easier, it makes it more enjoyable. The time put into skilling and combat are still required. The primary draw of the game should be player interaction , questing, PvP, skilling, bossing, etc... and not the endless cycle of standing in a bank spamming "buying swordies 250 each-FatalyWound" until someone bites. The GE helps to cut out the boring and time consuming inbetween and allows players to get back into action faster. How can this be a bad thing?

Bolded sections.

Skilling and combat are required, but are brought about much quicker and at a detriment to the people that bother to collect things for others to use, because prices will go down.

Player Interaction will go right the **** down because you don't have to do **** but sit in the GE to buy and sell ****. The only "interaction" will be showing off and bankstanding.

Yeah, now we can have the endless cycle of sitting in G.E. waiting for your crap to buy/sell without so much as a spoken word or any effort put forth!

It's been explained time and time again in this very thread why G.E. is a bad thing for the game. Please, for the sake of all of us, read.

You agree that skilling and combat are required but that the GE will make them easier, this is completely and utterly false. The GE offers no benefits or increase to xp or actual time spent performing said skill. The only thing the GE will do is make the availability of items needed to skill more redily attainable. The work to acquire the item you need after hours spent on **bez and world hopping is not time spent training the skill and playing the game which is counter-productive.

What player interaction have you personally had while on **bez? Please elaborate.

Sitting in the GE as apposed to sitting in varrock west bank and spamming an auto-typer? Is there a lesser evil???

These are my arguments, please read.

10-Jan-2015 00:57:20

Tito Jenkins

Tito Jenkins

Posts: 11 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Swurds123 said :
I know I'm in the minority now, but I personally am voting NO. A Grand Exchange makes the game too easy, all you would have to do now to get your items sold quickly. Although, being interrupted while skilling and going all the way to VWest is getting old. But I like player interaction.

If the GE is added (which unfortunately, it's looking like it will), I also foresee holiday items like Christmas Crackers selling for very low, unlike RS3. (Christmas Crackers could be easily obtained during the Anti-Santa part of the Christmas event) For instance, a player that started the event on 12-18 could obtain up to 30 Christmas crackers this year in addition to the 2 given from previous years.
The idea of player interaction is stupid, people don't interact over trading they do it when skilling, training, questing, pking, ect... Going to somone any saying buying X for Y, then sayin ty and running away hardly seems like much interaction.
It's called "Old School RuneScape" for a reason. Please vote NO to the Grand Exchange!

Too easy... I hate that.
If YOU like to challenge yourself more there is something out there made just for you.
Its name? Iron man mode :0
Where is the line drawn at too easy BTW, is it too easy that you can eat during combat now, or that we have dragon armour, barrows armour, godswords or a whip, someone who has done something previous to an update is bound to think that the update is going to make things too easy, like when your grandparents/parents would say to you "back when i was younger we had to...."
Why should people who like the ease of a GE not be allowed it because some people think that because they got their stats without the GE nobody else should.
Maybe they should add a new Emote to people with 99's before the update that say "i did it the hard way n00b".

10-Jan-2015 00:59:05

Quick find code: 380-381-138-65551054 Back to Top