Say my name...

Quick find code: 341-342-502-65859126

Lego Miester
Nov Member 2023

Lego Miester

Posts: 35,339 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Raleirosen said :
Sepulchre said :
Unless you go by honesty. Which is conveniently ignored to suit your purposes.
Nope, honesty as a virtue becomes meaningless if the individual in question intends to deceive/manipulate. There is a clear distinction between someone who lives an open and honest life, who is sincere and trustworthy in everything they do (i.e. the ideal of virtuous honesty), and someone who works within the confines of what's considered "truth" to manipulate others without telling an outright lie. You cannot possibly argue that both of those technically honest people are virtuous.

Intention is the only thing that matters in this context.

Well it's very clear Zaros is the latter, regardless of his intentions in doing so. He told the mahjarrat that Mah created the marker to siphon energy from her to them, rather than the other way around, as Seren explains. (Which was obviously the correct one, considering everyone being drained of energy by said marker was what drew them all here)
Headcanon Haven, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.
OSRS Lore: Xeric
Slepe Tight - Slepe Lore

18-Dec-2016 16:44:52

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sepulchre said :
That's my point. Saradomin will never come out and say "I only told you want you wanted to hear." NONE of the other gods would.

Maybe it's because they aren't pathological liars? =P Seriously, though, Zaros would have never said it either if he didn't think he had Zamorak trapped alone in a dark alley and was about to kill him.

Zaros isn't the only God to lie...I'd say Saradomin and Armadyl are in the top 3 liars with him, but unlike Zaros, I don't think they lie maliciously. Saradomin says things that are untrue, like "I had to take the centaurs to Gielinor or the war would leak into the Enchanted Valley!" and neglects to mention that the Naragi wanted to sic Tuska on him in the first place because he was the greatest threat they wanted to remove (and I'm sure he discovered this). But unlike Zaros, I don't think he's trying to deceive the player and convince them he's a good person...I think he's trying to convince himself that he's a good person. He lies to himself or tries to justify his actions by saying "It's the thought that counts!" and once he's convinced himself that this is really what happened, he passes on his own justifications to you.
Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

18-Dec-2016 16:53:01 - Last edited on 18-Dec-2016 17:10:44 by Hazeel

Vardan

Vardan

Posts: 1,237 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hazeel said :
Sepulchre said :
That's my point. Saradomin will never come out and say "I only told you want you wanted to hear." NONE of the other gods would.

Maybe it's because they aren't pathological liars? =P Seriously, though, Zaros would have never said it either if he didn't think he had Zamorak trapped alone in a dark alley and was about to kill him.

Yeah he basically only said it to rub it in how little the Mahjarrat actually meant to him. Or maybe to just twist the knife a little before killing Zamorak.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

18-Dec-2016 17:11:19

Lego Miester
Nov Member 2023

Lego Miester

Posts: 35,339 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bumping because I feel like Sliske's Endgame adds some more value to this thread.

"Not putting all of his eggs in one basket" indeed. He blackmailed just about EVERYONE present in one way or another to hand him the stone. And if you thought meeting an elder god was humbling, imagine how that must have been for him, who had planned for his entire life for that very moment. I wonder what he'll do now?

The best laid plans of gods and men often go awry.

Vardan said :

Yeah he basically only said it to rub it in how little the Mahjarrat actually meant to him. Or maybe to just twist the knife a little before killing Zamorak.

As per usual, Zaros simply said what he needed to hear. In this case, whatever would crush the arrogance it took to think he could single handedly overthrow Zaros's empire.

Kneel.
Headcanon Haven, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.
OSRS Lore: Xeric
Slepe Tight - Slepe Lore

24-Dec-2016 00:17:00 - Last edited on 24-Dec-2016 00:21:36 by Lego Miester

ZAmorakZaros
Apr Member 2013

ZAmorakZaros

Posts: 7,545 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hazeel said :
Sepulchre said :

Zaros isn't the only God to lie...I'd say Saradomin and Armadyl are in the top 3 liars with him, but unlike Zaros, I don't think they lie maliciously. Saradomin says things that are untrue, like "I had to take the centaurs to Gielinor or the war would leak into the Enchanted Valley!" and neglects to mention that the Naragi wanted to sic Tuska on him in the first place because he was the greatest threat they wanted to remove (and I'm sure he discovered this). But unlike Zaros, I don't think he's trying to deceive the player and convince them he's a good person...I think he's trying to convince himself that he's a good person. He lies to himself or tries to justify his actions by saying "It's the thought that counts!" and once he's convinced himself that this is really what happened, he passes on his own justifications to you.

Zamorak, on the other hand, is a brutally honest god.
NO
I do not ship ZamorakxZaros.
I follow them. And Marimbo, the best t5 god.

24-Dec-2016 00:40:17

Alexraptor
May Member 2012

Alexraptor

Posts: 5,676 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaros has always been described by the J-Mods as "Machiavellian" before we even got to meet him in-game.
So no, COM did not change my perception of him or my support. Which is primarily based on the rule of cool and the air of mystery that has surrounded Zarosian lore ever since the days when I was only the "Servant of the Unkown Power". ;)
O_o :P :@ :O

25-Dec-2016 22:40:40 - Last edited on 25-Dec-2016 22:41:04 by Alexraptor

Quick find code: 341-342-502-65859126 Back to Top