Forums

RE: Political Discussions Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I too remember Southeaster defending his position on the outlaw of politics in Off-Topic. Considering the recent political discussions, I believed I only responded to about 5-6 posts and then retreated. Ever since I was a child, my parents always taught me that politics and religion are not easily discussed with everybody and that we all have different opinions and beliefs. For that reason, I do not engage in political or religious discussions with anyone. Of course, this does not apply to this thread as we are not really discussing politics per se, but the removal of it from Off-Topic.

06-Aug-2020 19:26:52

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mrs Ana said :
Southeaster said :
They should have never allowed politics to be discussed in the forums. These are the forums for a computer game , for heaven's sake.
I believe Southeaster's post has validity: These Forums are meant to discuss a computer game and even though politics were allowed at some point, I wholeheartedly believe that this place is not the appropriate location for such discussions. If someone is really interested in sharing their political views, then they are more than welcome to search for other venues whose main purpose is to house political topics, such as many political sub-reddits that are readily available at Reddit.

If that is the case you may as well remove Off Topic forum???

Off Topic forum has nothing to do with games unless it is discussing an outside of RS game.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Aug-2020 22:34:50

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think the point is that few topics are as divisive as politics; few topics cause as much trouble.
Just off the top of my head - there are threads about photography and tattoos in off-topics, and whilst not game-related, they are hardly controversial.
But this isn't about the rest of the threads in off-topic its about political discussions, per the title.

07-Aug-2020 07:54:20 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2020 09:42:28 by Stoat King

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Way back when - it was decided to allow swear words to be used across the RSOF plus the inclusion of politics & religion in OT.

I said I didn't agree with any of these. I thought the swearing would be over-used and make the place into a gutter - I was wrong on that one. By and large people swear only occasionally.

I'd posted many times I thought religion & politics would lead to bitter argument. Well, the religious threads seem to have died a death now (there were a few tear-ups in the early days) but politics was definitely a barrel of gunpowder. I don't mind at all that it's gone.

My concern (is that too strong a word?) now is what will be looked at and defined as 'political'.

Many subjects may have a partly political connection. Will these be locked on that basis .... will random posts be removed because they have a vaguely politically-connected flavour?
There's a few threads still in OT that have political undertones or connection.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Aug-2020 09:43:47

Tranq
Nov
fmod Member

Tranq

Forum Moderator Posts: 61,815 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The problem with politics is that you have people that are aligned to a certain group and refuse to reasonably discuss anything. Instead it's the "my way or the highway approach". There are people guilty of this on whatever side of the spectrum your on.

Do I trust "any" politicians... Of course I don't regardless of who they are. A politician is a professional liar, they will tell you what they think you wanna hear to get elected. After that point you get the bait and switch of ok I don't need you again til next election cycle.

That being said can I have discourse with anyone about anything without it boiling down to a shouting match of I'm right and your wrong. Of course I can. However many are so vested in their political ideology that anything that remotely challenges their beliefs is a provocation and you have flashes of lightening.

I'm a firm believer that we don't need political threads here even in off-topic. If I wished to discuss politics (just by a quick search engine look for politics forums) I'd visit one of the 3,660,000 Results found. I don't need the aggravation of dealing with zealots when I'm looking to relax. Granted I'll break people apart if need be from forum help requests. But alas I'm not going to venture into a politics thread for giggles.
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

07-Aug-2020 12:03:58

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
If that is the case you may as well remove Off Topic forum???
If you may, please direct me to a thread or topic in the Off-Topic sub-forum that has had the same backlash and negative effects as politics has had in the past few years or so. Furthermore, please show me a thread or topic that has been recently removed due to controversy, other than for politics.

07-Aug-2020 15:37:54

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
... Many subjects may have a partly political connection. Will these be locked on that basis .... will random posts be removed because they have a vaguely politically-connected flavour?

Though politics and religion threads are now permitted, they will be moderated to a greater extent than other content as it is easier to cause offense and upset in those subjects.

Although threads solely about politics are prohibited in Off Topic, those threads with political undertones or connection still will be covered with the Code of Conduct.
Yeah, lol ... I had to read it several times and coming across multiple times before I saw it but it makes sense to 'not' change the Code of Conduct apart from having that special thread Mod Kari posted in Off Topic which kills political threads. :)

09-Aug-2020 09:05:42

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
FiFi LaFeles said :
... Many subjects may have a partly political connection. Will these be locked on that basis .... will random posts be removed because they have a vaguely politically-connected flavour?

Though politics politically (connected) posts and religion threads are now permitted, they will be moderated to a greater extent than other content as it is easier to cause offense and upset in those subjects.

Although threads solely about politics are prohibited in Off Topic, those threads with political undertones or connection still will be covered with the Code of Conduct.
Yeah, lol ... I had to read it several times and coming across multiple times before I saw it but it makes sense to 'not' change the Code of Conduct apart from having that special thread Mod Kari posted in Off Topic which kills political threads. :)
Does this sound better? :) So still a minor change. :P

09-Aug-2020 14:36:17

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001 Back to Top