Forums

RE: Political Discussions Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wow, this thread blew up!

Although I barely took part in political discussions, I believe that it was the correct choice. Tensions were flaring within discussions and these were not going anywhere. I do agree it could have been the perfect time to converse about politics due to the world issues at hand; however, I do not think people were ready for it as evidenced by the amount of back and forths.

Let's see how this plays out. Thanks everyone for participating in this thread :) .

04-Aug-2020 14:35:23

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
The point is these type debates don't just happen in political threads, it's across the board.

Not any more they won't. No more specifically political threads allowed and .......

...... presumably (the inference is) no more inserting political asides in threads of other topics either.

So none of us need worry ever again about getting politically side-tracked or having to see threads with potentially political under or overtones :)

I'll be watching developments with interest. Waiting for the first arguments to break out over what is or is not an overtly political topic without actually being about politics and what topic(s) are impossible to even raise without involving some element of politics.

The balancing act will be amusing to observe.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

04-Aug-2020 15:19:09 - Last edited on 04-Aug-2020 15:21:53 by FiFi LaFeles

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I take offense at that Fifi. The idea that it will be a 'balancing act' implies there are two poles that require balancing, or navigating between.
This is a prejudiced, heteronormative outlook that marginalizes other, less binary, views of the situation.
That you have already forced your ugly politics into this thread is shocking to me.
How could you!

04-Aug-2020 16:05:28

The contents of this message have been hidden.

04-Aug-2020 16:50:36

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Dong U Dead said :
The point is these type debates don't just happen in political threads, it's across the board.

Not any more they won't. No more specifically political threads allowed and .......

...... presumably (the inference is) no more inserting political asides in threads of other topics either.

So none of us need worry ever again about getting politically side-tracked or having to see threads with potentially political under or overtones :)

I'll be watching developments with interest. Waiting for the first arguments to break out over what is or is not an overtly political topic without actually being about politics and what topic(s) are impossible to even raise without involving some element of politics.

The balancing act will be amusing to observe.

The point I am making here is debates go on throughout the board, just as crippling, belittling, back and forth as political debates, the same crippling, belittling debates go on without politics brought into it. I feel they should put their attention to how debates, disagreements unfold, just targeting political ones is biased as debates and arguments happen with any topics and within RSOF it is often done with the other topics that are not political in any form.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

05-Aug-2020 16:54:47

Wolfblue42

Wolfblue42

Posts: 3,962 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Section goes back to being a graveyard.

Place seemed rather tame other than the usual carpet bomb spammers who make 3 pages of junk threads.

Only really got out of hand in the past, when people decided to go after one another outside the topics. Which is what spurred the original Mod Balance sticky. People had free reign to spam troll for a while due to 0 jmods on the staff at the time.

I think they are more able to handle any surge in drama compared to what happened before. Personally think they should just pluck out the troublemakers, which didn't happen in the past. But guess they made up their mind in pulling the plug, oh well.

06-Aug-2020 06:06:59

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Stoat King said :
^ That is a different topic. One you have made countless threads about.

No, it is not a different topic. The political thread got removed because of the arguments/debates, not because they were discussing politics, but the way they were discussing politics exactly the same problem they have with countless other threads - politics wasn't' the problem it was the way the discussions, debates, disagreements turned out <- and this is the problem with threads throughout the forums.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Aug-2020 17:15:16

Quick find code: 278-279-758-66173001 Back to Top