Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RE: Notifications in our profile showing that someone posted on that thread

YES, Indy I love your idea, obviously I could always beg for more (more specific notifications), but that is a very happy compromise. For people who post a lot, this could help avoid a lot of effort on their part, by not clicking on unresponded threads.

This feature would virtually be used by every Linkify user, either directly or indirectly (unless they turn it off I guess... lol).
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

05-Sep-2015 06:31:46 - Last edited on 05-Sep-2015 06:32:53 by Body btw

Evil Lucario
Jul Member 2012

Evil Lucario

Posts: 8,116 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Body btw said :
RE: Notifications in our profile showing that someone posted on that thread

YES, Indy I love your idea, obviously I could always beg for more (more specific notifications), but that is a very happy compromise. For people who post a lot, this could help avoid a lot of effort on their part, by not clicking on unresponded threads.

This feature would virtually be used by every Linkify user, either directly or indirectly (unless they turn it off I guess... lol).

Seconded. Notifications would be more convenient for me, but this is a good middle-point. I'd love it.
Twitter @EvilLucario
| Owner of Boss School (HLF Link) | Teaching High-leveled PvM!

06-Sep-2015 05:06:15

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Some limitations: I can't tell how many new posts were made or who made the last post. Also the link to last post has been broken since the the forum re-skin, but that's easy to fix.

There's a possible algorithm:

Let's say Bob made a post in a thread (posting is necessary for this to work), the Linkify can compare the post number of Bob's last post on that thread to the last post of the thread. If Bob's post number is less than the last post number, then obviously there have been new posts.

That way, you can also tell how many new posts have been made since.

The issue is that it would only work for up to 500 personal posts then beyond that it can't be tracked. I don't think it is possible to pick up from last left off unless you make use of dictionary cookies and store on client side, like you already use cookies to save our personal preferences.

06-Sep-2015 05:57:46 - Last edited on 06-Sep-2015 06:14:56 by Lifer

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the feedback everyone, still tossing this around in my head atm.

But here's the rough plan.

I'm keeping it all within the profile pages, for me to access last posts on the fly means I need to hit the sub forums page (not cool). I have no guarantee that the user has laded on that page for linkify to read, thus I'm keeping everything in the profile page. Basically I'm avoiding extra http requests to find info.

So this means every time a profile page is viewed I take a snap shot of the last posted dates + the thread qfc. I then compare with previous snap shot. If the dates differ, there's new posts thus highlight the thread.

The thing is I can't save the new snap shot right away. This is because if you were to refresh the page all threads would appear to have no new posts, essentially comparing the data to itself.

So, if you go to a thread that's listed in your profile then I'll update the part of the snapshot that applies, next time you visit your profile that thread will no longer be highlighted but others will unaffected. Upside is this will work when viewing any profile that shares some of the same threads.

As for a link to where you last left off, that's something Rowley and I worked out and it's do-able. Since I'll already be taking snapshots of timestamps and Quick find codes I might as well include that feature. There is a little more too it, but it's something I should build in rather than add on later.

As for storage, linkify uses local storage (no cookies). This is for three reasons, cookies can't hold all the data I need. For example a friends list + clan list could exceed the capacity of a cookie. The other reason is speed, chrome.storage is fast and doesn't require a http request. And best thing is chrome.storage can hold objects rather than just text!

I still have lots to do and lots to test, but I believe having a more dynamic profile could make it a very useful tool.

Edit: grrr character limit :/

06-Sep-2015 06:35:42 - Last edited on 06-Sep-2015 06:57:26 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Continued...

So that's about it so far, if anyone has some more input please go for it.

I can't give an eta, I'm actually working on something else for linkify in my spare time (more about that soon). Once I'm ahead with that I'll sink my teeth into the profile :)

06-Sep-2015 06:40:42

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm, I have a pretty good idea at what's keeping you busy on linkify over working on other things like notifications, indy ^.^

..but I won't ruin it for others! (looking forward to seeing what's new this year) :p
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

07-Sep-2015 08:54:47

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top