Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya Morgypie :)

I agree with that you say as in that we don't know what info was given in the report.

We can make some pretty safe assumptions about how things work because of how databases work and we also have many clues thanks to the way the forums work.

Every QFC and Quote ID are an address, they point to a database location. When we edit a post the IDs don't change. Same with a locked thread, the QFC doesn't change.

Yet moving a thread changes the QFC, makes sense, it now resides in a different part of the database. That's why a moved thread breaks all the original quote IDs.

Getting back to the edit. Since the QFC/Quote ID does not change after editing, that's a big clue. It strongly suggests the location of the data hasn't changed, just the data is now different.

In order to have access to previous edits or the original text, it would have to be saved elsewhere and it would need a pointer of some kind so show what post it pertains to. That really doesn't seem likely or practical. It would also mean threads could be moved without breaking QFC's and Quote IDs.

Another approach would be to append the edits to the original data and only retrieve the last appended text. This would actually be more feasible in that everything is stored in the one place. It would require a little more work for the server to work out what to return when displaying threads/posts. But that's not much of an overhead and is quite do-able.

But, if that approach were used, then this topic wouldn't even exist because there would be no doubt that staff could see and access a history of all our edits.

I edit many posts because I'm very bad at typing what's in my head and I don't proofread before I submit. I know what I'm thinking, but often my text doesn't convey that. Oddly on paper I'm very good at expressing myself, but typing I'm really bad. So anyway, that would be a lot of useless information to store.

Jagex have a history of all my typo's....Not likely!

05-Apr-2016 15:47:02 - Last edited on 05-Apr-2016 15:59:58 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Erehk said :
I wonder if the active users counter might be excluding F2P

I meant to reply to that before, but I got distracted.

I have wondered that too, it may have been mentioned but I really don't know. They don't even display the number of guests browsing the forums. I'm sure the user count would climb noticeably if they did.

05-Apr-2016 15:53:36

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Here you go Morgypie :)

http://www.indecentcode.com/sqli/?id=Morgan

Remember it's still in development.

Try the lil arrows at top of the columns (they're tri-state) Also see how invention fits with re-sorting too.

06-Apr-2016 03:49:14 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2016 04:20:49 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, Indy! :) ­Coffee I haven't seen you online in awhile, I hope all is well ­<3

What do you make of this,
Hevilmystic said :
Yeah, I could fit that link in (specifically left ~30 characters for a link), but since the forum change it appears you can't add more than 1970 characters to a post when editing? It just acts as if it's at the character limit.

I noticed this on a thread or post of mine recently as well, it's misleading and somewhat annoying :p (but I know it's nothing Linkify related)
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

06-Apr-2016 23:52:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Bodyy,

I haven't been on much but all is well. I hope everything is going well for you too :)

Okay when editing a post the forums change characters like...

& < > "

to this

&a mp; & lt; & gt; &q uot;

That eats into your charter limit. The & symbol now takes up 5 characters.

But RS Linkify decodes HTML entities giving you back some charters. Comparing with and without RS Linkify when editing posts with those characters, you should see a difference. However there are still some other issues with character count. I remember Ryan M pointing out some issues with new lines.

So if that post was made before I made the changes and if the post that needs editing contains entities that the forums will encode on edit, then there maybe some characters RS Linkify can free up.

The best example I have is my OP. It uses almost max characters, and I can't edit my RS Linkify version number without RS Linkify. That's not even adding a character, cant even change one. But I have characters to spare if I do it with RS Linkify.

So I'm freeing up as much as I can to help, but I think there may be other problems related to character count.

07-Apr-2016 03:22:44 - Last edited on 07-Apr-2016 03:25:23 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
But RS Linkify decodes HTML entities giving you back some charters. Comparing with and without RS Linkify when editing posts with those characters, you should see a difference.
Wow, that's really cool.

As always, thank you very much for the in-depth response :)
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

07-Apr-2016 08:05:58

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Weyburns said :
although i'm on a potato computer, linkify crashed on me but not my browser. is that impressive?

Did it happen on a particular page? Also is it repeatable?

Tbh Impressive doesn't come to mind, you may need to try harder :)

07-Apr-2016 10:14:51 - Last edited on 07-Apr-2016 10:15:16 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top