Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

RS-Linkify Version 3.1.9.87

What started out as a small project has grown into full blown tool that adds numerous features and enhancements to the RuneScape Forums. What makes RS-Linkify special is the fact it's largely built on player feedback.

This thread isn't to just to inform people that RS-Linkify exists. It's to toss around ideas, discuss the needs of forum users, and to be able to play around and test out the features of RS-Linkify. The aim is all about improving the experience for forums users and have some fun at the same time.

The first thread was great fun, I learnt heaps and made new friends. I hope this thread continues in the same way :)

Link to RS Linkify at Google Web store -
http://goo.gl/wojDE

It works for Google Chrome & Opera. I'm updating it often, it's a free download.

Opera users, see this addon to enable chrome extensions: https://goo.gl/z1D5Be

Basic Features

- Displays active voice of Seren.
- Quoting stacks with your existing text.
- Quotes are placed at last cursor position.
- Ability to select the portion of text to be quoted.
- Embeds Images and youtube vids (can be toggled).
- Wraps unwrapped text (thanks Blasty)
- Fixes HTML entities (< > & etc) Credit to Vigilant Foe
- Verifies image links before embedding.
- All links open in a new browser tab.
- Fixes broken/fragmented quotes.
- Renders images within quotes, and images within quoted quotes and so on.
- Fixes broken links within edited posts.
- Linkifies Quick Find Codes.
- Custom colours for your own posts, clan, and friends posts.
- Custom Avatars.
- Custom Forum Titles.
- Restores last post (handy if you get logged out while posting).
- Custom codes (converts text to images).
- Rearranges suffixes and prefixes for player titles.
- Converts forum times to your local time.
- Security & Safety features (URL black/white list).
- Makes you live longer and makes you more attractive.
- Plus many other features.

01-Sep-2013 14:49:40 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:22:01 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Credits ­

In all honestly I need to thank everyone on these forums. I feel I have the best support in the world thanks to HLF :)

There are a few people that I feel deserve a special mention.

Mod Daezhun , for his help extrapolating broken links and for his encouragement.

Mod Lee , for his encouragement and support as evidenced by the fact this thread is, and remains stickied, all thanks to him.

Keighlea , for her support, suggestions and feedback. Basically RS-Linkify wouldn't be what it is today without her.

Rowley , for his support, suggestions and for his work maintaining the Avatar Directory. His pastebin file can be found here: http://pastebin.com/xD6XXSmK

Vigilant Foe , for sharing his coding skills.

Blasty , for his support and suggestions, and coding skills. His general topics of discussion have been inspirational. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Morgan , her suggestions and feedback have helped RS Linkify develop in many ways. Options and features that I'd never thought of are the result of her continual feedback.

Amaethwr , as far back as I can remember he has given valueable feedback and support. To say his bug reports are thorough, clear, concise and detailed is an understement.

Ryan M , his bug reports are not only prompt and detailed, they often come with a solution with code examples. His time and extensive knowledge has made it possible for some fast fixes and improvements. On top of all that, his posts are simply a pleasure to read.

Bodyy , his continued support & feedback has helped me more than I think he realises. He's a valued contributor and his posts reflect a pleasantness I can't help but admire.

Lust, Baraxil, Lifer, MaxQ, Huge Charlie, and MichaeISword , the awesome avatar editors. The time, effort, help, generosity, and quality of their work is just awesome. I can't thank you six enough for everything you've done.

01-Sep-2013 14:49:50 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:22:40 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

­­ General Instructions ­

Okay, basically I don't have any instructions (yet). But there are a couple things I will mention to make using RS-Linkify easier.

Options/Settings Page

To access RS-Linkify settings, simply right click on the forums page (pretty much anywhere on the screen) and choose Options from the menu.

Updating the Extension

It should auto update but it can take a few hours, just depends when google refresh it. So if you're keen to update ASAP you can do a manual update with just four clicks shown here....
http://puu.sh/2To9U.png

01-Sep-2013 14:49:59 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:24:46 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Custom Avatars

Custom Avatars require a code placed at the end of your post. When set up in the settings page your code will be added to your post automatically.

The code will be invisible to all. Those who don't use RS Linkify will see your default avatar. If there is a ever a connection problem with the image sever, your default avatar will display.

This is how a code should look in your Avatar Options (paste code and save)...
http://puu.sh/5H4Ab.png

Blasty has put together a large selection of really cool NPC avatars and has been kind enough to provide a link to them. I strongly recommend browsing through it if you looking for a custom avatar.

Blasty's avatar collection can be found here http://goo.gl/CEGp9e

Here are some preset examples...
http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10015.png 10015

http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10016.png 10016

http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10003.png 10003

http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10004.png 10004

01-Sep-2013 14:50:08 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:27:28 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Making and submitting your own avatar.

The reqs are very simple but also very important. There are many reasons why the reqs are so inflexible, but the main ones are to do with web page performance and that the images not be offensive.

- Images must be png format.
- Images must be 100 x 100 pixels. (no bigger or smaller)
- Small file size. (but don't worry too much, in most cases I can optimise them)
- Must comply with runescape's rules.

I don't want to write out an exhaustive list of how racism, sexism, offensive material, etc is unacceptable. To put it simply I'll veto any image at my discretion.

If you don't think Jagex would approve of your image, or it's border line acceptable, then don't submit it.

Okay, that's the reqs

For those who don't have photoshop (like me) this was recommended by a few people on my original thread and I use it all the time now. It's free with no strings attached, and it's pretty decent. http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

or if you don't want to download anything
here is an online editor. http://pixlr.com/editor/

Customizing avatars is too easy, and it can be quite enjoyable making them.

So just post your 100 x 100 png images on this thread, and I'll generate you a code.

If for any reason you're unsure or simply not confident with image editing, just post the image requesting it to be edited for an avatar and I'll see what I can do.

Have fun :)

01-Sep-2013 14:50:17 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:28:10 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Text to Image Codes

Simply put an asterisk before the word to display a pic, when you submit your post RS Linkify will do its magic and the asterisks will be removed, your post will appear normal to all those that don't use RS Linkify.

Please note that every * will have the effect of adding three characters to your post, compared to using URL's for images that's pretty good I think.

I'm happy to add more pics and codes.
So please feel free to post a pic and a code you think is apt.

Pics must be tiny, like 20-ish pixels high. Any bigger and they may break text formatting.

Note: the codes are case sensitive and must be all lower case letters.

­<3 * <3

­trollface * trollface

­coffee * coffee

­support * support

­no support * no support

­bump * bump

­lock * lock

­res * res

­rip * RIP or * rip

*fa cepalm
­facepalm

01-Sep-2013 14:50:29 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:29:41 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Custom Forum Titles

Forum titles need to be requested, in the same way custom avatars are requested. Just post asking for a title and assuming it meets the conditions below, it'll be applied shortly afterwards.

The Conditions

The conditions for the custom titles are much the same as the conditions for custom avatars, meaning they must be appropriate for use on the forums.

I don't want to write out an exhaustive list of how racism, sexism, offensive text, etc is unacceptable. To put it simply I'll deny any request at my discretion.

If you don't think Jagex would approve of your title, or it's border line acceptable, then don't submit it.

There is of course a character limit, and while this limit is not set in stone (obviously some characters take up less space than others), keeping titles under 20 characters should work in most cases.

Limitations

The titles don't require a code like custom avatars, however this means there are some limitations.

- RS Linkify will attach your custom title to your display name. Thus changing your display name will disassociate your custom title from your name. Posting here that your name has changed will allow me to point your title to your new name.

- Titles can't be toggled on and off, RS Linkify will check a database of titles once every 6 hours and will apply them as needed throughout that period. Titles can be removed on request.

- Titles can not be all upper-case, but upper-case lettering is okay for the beginning of words.

- Titles can appear either above or below your display name. The default is above, specify if you want it below your display name.

- When requesting a title make sure you have spelling and upper/lower case exactly as you'd like to appear because I'll be copy and pasting the text you submit.

See next post for a simple way to request a title...

01-Sep-2013 14:50:38 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:30:56 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Requesting a Forum Title

You can just ask, but this format is simple and will avoid any confusion

Example 1.
Title plz

Indecent Act
the Untrimmed

Example 2.
Title plz

The Untrimmed
Indecent Act

Example 3.
Title plz

The Untrimmed

As you can see I get all the info I need and I can see where the title should go.

In example 1 the title will appear below the display name.

In example 2 the title will appear above the display name.

In example 3 the title will appear above the display name because it's position is unspecified.

RS Linkify checks for new titles every few hours, this means it your new title probably wont display instantly. But once RS Linkify retrieves the updated list of titles it will show as expected from then on.

Okay I think that's about all I need to explain, so lets see what creative titles we can come up with and have some fun!

01-Sep-2013 14:50:47 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:35:44 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

To-do List

Ideas and possible future updates I'm working on.

- Option for 24hr time . Done

- Font tag Done.

- Bookmarks (in progress)

- Split Screen (forum navigation on left, thread view on right) Done.

- More right click options (add to clan/friends list)

- Gradient Fill for backgrounds (on hold atm)

- Ignore list (nope not doing this in the foreseeable future)

- Quicker QFC Done.

- quick method to input alt codes (working on it)

- Embedding poll/voting forms (Blasty's Polls Rock!)

- Forum Reporting Done.

- Custom skins for forums (on hold atm)

- Image Spoiler tag Done.

- Links to profile Done.

- apply the suffix/titles fix to the avatar in top right of page.

- Inline post editing (something I'd like to do, but it's not a priority)

- Toggle smileys . Done.

- Highlight for posts that have quoted you. Done.

- Add Cancel button to edit post

- Make existing Cancel options navigate to where you were last. Rather than to where you were not.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsure about these ones

- Import and update clan list . Done.

- Import and update friends list.

- Monitor thread status (page position, number of posts, etc)

- Monitor the current forum section and update without needing to refresh page

( My concerns pertain to automated requests to page content. Nothing is automated in RS Linkify and I suspect it will be wise to stick to that. I may be able to do something via user actions though. More testing and thought is needed in these areas. )

There is loads more to add to this list, I'll update it soon.

01-Sep-2013 14:50:59 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2017 11:36:55 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top