Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
­­­­Bittersweet­­http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10278.png­­10278­­­­

­­­­Daniel E­­http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10279.png­­10279­­­­

Thanks for the awesome avatar editing everyone, makes things so much easier for me :)

@Kable,
thanks for all the great feedback. These things are what I need to hear from people that are using it.

The scrolling I'm not sure what I can do there, the browser handles all that. Though whatever has focus should scroll unless it's reached the very top or bottom and can't scroll any further.

I did originally have the entire side panel move with the page and have no scroll bar at all. Personally I much prefered it like that. It was more fluid and seemed more natural when it moved with the page. But the early feedback I got was that people prefered a floating side panel with a separate scroll bar. The reasoning was less scrolling would be needed, but I stated at the time that didn't make sense to me but I'd give it a try, so that's why it's like that. I have no intention of making it optional how it works, it will be one way or the other. Currently I'm undecided on how it will be.

The idea is always to show the parent directory, however I can make it so you can lock it to the main forum sections. That won't be problem to do.

The space at the top won't remain like that, and will be much more compact. Probably be tabbed too with a tab for bookmarks.

A Chrome sidebar isn't something I can do, the browser simply won't let me. But there are alternatives. My first sidebar was overlayed over the page similar to how chrome's bookmarks work. The issue I had with that was lower resolution screens just didn't work well with it. It covered too much of the page on some screens. Thus I pushed everything over and recentered the entire content. I'm still not sure what I'll do in this regard.

Continued...

26-Nov-2013 21:19:43

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

The transitions aren't 100% consistent and I can fix that but for now I'm leaving it. The reason is because I'm lazy. Nah kidding, there is a good reason and that's the these pages need a regular refresh. The errors that accumulate on these pages adds up fast, and also redundant scripts build up too. Even though I have reduced some of the errors these pages throw, the build up of redundant scripts is something I can't control.

I will work on a more elegant solution but it will always require a page refresh every now and then. Until then I'm okay with the inconsistency because of the benefits.

As you mentioned clicking fast skips the transitions. Actually clicking slowly can too. Since I wait for the page to load before attaching the transitions they are easily missed. It's not uncommon for these pages to over 45 seconds to fully load, the pages may be interactive but not fully loaded. That's simply too long to wait and I have plans to work around this too.

I hope I have covered most of what you mentioned. I really do appreciate your feedback. All these things will go into my final decision making for this project and will shape the final outcome.

It will most likely be after christmas before I do any significant updates, so if nothing changes for a little while it's not because I have forgotten, it either because I'm busy or running-a-muck :)

26-Nov-2013 21:20:00 - Last edited on 26-Nov-2013 21:23:19 by Indecent Act

Klyntar

Klyntar

Posts: 7,177 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah I understand it's beta, that's why I decided to say that stuff just to bring them up to the surface in case no one else says anything about the same things I noticed. Though I'm a bit bummed about the chrome sidebar deal :( . I'm sure it'll turn out good in the end just like the rest of linkify has. I honestly couldn't imagine going back to using the forums without it.

Indecent Act said :
I did originally have the entire side panel move with the page and have no scroll bar at all. Personally I much prefered it like that. It was more fluid and seemed more natural when it moved with the page. But the early feedback I got was that people prefered a floating side panel with a separate scroll bar. The reasoning was less scrolling would be needed, but I stated at the time that didn't make sense to me but I'd give it a try, so that's why it's like that.

I wish I would've jumped on the forums before that feedback come through, I would have liked that original panel much more. Lol

Indecent Act said :
The space at the top won't remain like that, and will be much more compact. Probably be tabbed too with a tab for bookmarks.

What would the bookmarks be used for? Curious about that one. Because as it is now I just removed a bunch of different sections from the interface, so in a sense mine's already bookmarked :P .

IDEA ALERT!
Tab the forums and just stack them on a handful of rows at the top (taking place of the current scroll down and use the space below to show all of the threads within each section for whatever tab you click)  No clue if that would take a while to do or not, but you gotta admit that would be super convenient; no issues with scrolling regardless of how you leave it in the end.

­­
Shh...
No one will know...
­­

26-Nov-2013 21:43:52 - Last edited on 26-Nov-2013 22:04:42 by Klyntar

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Klyntar said :
I wish I would've jumped on the forums before that feedback come through, I would have liked that original panel much more. Lol

I'll quite likely revisit the original method with sidebar, I like to give things a try before I make a final decision. It's not always easy to visualise how things will turn out, and I'm not too proud to admit that some suggestions I balked at, I now love.

It goes both ways, I'll undo something if I don't like it and that's kind of where I'm at with this. I'll add some things, change some things and totally scrap some things. I still need to find a balance, at this stage nothing is set in stone. It might take some trial and error to get it right, but I'll get there :)

Edit: I saw your idea, I'll have to get back to you on that :)

another edit: Bookmarks will be for individual threads with some optional features.

For example I'd like to bookmark patch notes thread, but I'd like to have go it go the last post since that's what's relevant to me. So a bookmark with an option to always go to last post/page would be handy I think.

Also I might add some things to monitor the status of a thread that's bookmarked. Showing page the thread is on (if it's about to hit page 50 for example). Show if there are new posts on the bookmarked thread. Just little things like that.

26-Nov-2013 22:07:56 - Last edited on 26-Nov-2013 23:54:23 by Indecent Act

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex updated the splash page with the last update:

http://runescape.com/splash

The menu thing at the top left is nice, do you think linkify's sidebar could work that way?

E: The browser must be thin enough not to see the links at the top to see the menu button I'm talking about.

E: Just went through the new splash page/new player info pages, it's really nice and I hope it helps rs grow.
Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

27-Nov-2013 08:48:55 - Last edited on 27-Nov-2013 08:53:29 by Blasty

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top