Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Unless you mean the posts would auto-load on the same page?

They'd load on the same page, hence infinite scrolling if the thread is long enough.
For example, if a thread is 20k post long. You could start from post 1 and keep scrolling for 1 hour until 20k.
A "Show more" button could work as well, as long as it keeps you on one page.

30-Sep-2013 15:10:56 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2013 15:11:33 by Morgan

J3
Jun Member 2017

J3

Posts: 3,560 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

They'd load on the same page, hence infinite scrolling if the thread is long enough.
For example, if a thread is 20k post long. You could start from post 1 and keep scrolling for 1 hour until 20k.

I'm almost certain this would have the same issue as the postcount suggestion explained 3 pages ago(?). But i could be wrong :P

---------------------------------------------------------
Submit a bug report <You'll need this one day, thank me later
@J3sven

30-Sep-2013 15:18:46

Morgan

Morgan

I'm almost certain this would have the same issue as the postcount suggestion explained 3 pages ago(?). But i could be wrong :P

---------------------------------------------------------
Submit a bug report <You'll need this one day, thank me later

Nothing is pre-loaded with my suggestion. The pages are loaded on-demand by the user upon clicking on "Show more" or scrolling enough.

30-Sep-2013 15:25:23

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Also what about...
Infinite scrolling? You'll never have to worry about the Post 10 monster eating your posts!
Users will be able to scroll and scroll and that will trigger the next page to load. I personally hate it when Post 10 gets buried by the next page :(

The only thing that concerns me about this is the fact that these pages need a refresh. These pages benifit greatly from a refresh/reload.

The number of errors that are thrown on forum pages that are unhandled is never zero. Dynamically adding more content to the page will often throw the errors again. An accumulative error effect occurs. This is something all developers have to watch for when dealing with dynamic content, particularly with AJAX.

Complete reload of pages in this case is good. Yes it can be done without a refresh, but I expect there may be undesirable side effects.

TBH I haven't tried, and I won't know until I do. But these are the reasons why I haven't ventured into in dynamic loading of content on the forums. I will get around to looking at more closely at some stage.

Edit: Loading content via user action is fine btw. As long it's instigated by a human and performs a single request I have no problem with that. Example is importing clan members in custom posts settings.

­­­
­~ Blame Rowley if it doesn't work ~

30-Sep-2013 15:26:03 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2013 15:29:01 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

Oh and I have another one. Sometimes finding out the number of a post in a page is tricky, so how about these get added somewhere in the bar where the date and all that is?

I THINK RFI already had this feature.

30-Sep-2013 15:33:33

Morgan

Morgan

I think post in relation to page would be better. More intuitive.
It's always easier to be like...
"Go to Page 8, Post 7" of this thread than
"Go to Post 77" of that thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers because I'm quite very thick.

30-Sep-2013 15:47:28 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2013 16:02:46 by Morgan

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmmm I was just thinking...

857th post, the last digit tells you the post on the page anyway. Now I'm not sure. I need more feedback on this.

Oh and speaking of feedback I wonder how people would feel about me removing this

example...
01/10/2013 12:47:28 AM
Last edit
01/10/2013 12:48:49 AM by J Morgan

­­­                                                                                        ^
­­­                                                                              remove the name?

It's not like we don't know who made the post. That would give space to add something useful and prevent long names pushing links down into the post. Thoughts?

­­­
­~ Blame Rowley if it doesn't work ~

30-Sep-2013 16:05:18

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top