Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lifer said :
That is manageable I suppose

You suppose! Not even thanks for trying maybe we can refine this a bit?

Nice, I'm trying to work with you here to find a solution that will suit everyone. Not just you. Pulling content to the left so the avatars are on the edge is not going to work for everyone who uses a small browser window, most people are going to hate not seeing the entire text in a post and having a number of click-able elements off screen. And if it does all fit within a smaller window, all symmetry is lost.

My first approach is centre the scroll bar, since that will work nicely for many small browser windows. In fact down to 740px width it works well. See Spoiler. I really shouldn't even be looking at anything under 800px, and even so these pages are built around 1000px width.

HTTP://puu.sh/dFDoU.jpg

Your browser is like 670px wide and you know what, I suppose I can't be bothered with this right now.

22-Dec-2014 23:09:40

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act,

I detect that you took my post as an offense. I did not mean for you to be upset at me. I am deaf, so forgive my vocabulary as I did not know saying "I suppose" will offend you. Sure, I could have given more detail such as I am completely fine with centering as a solution - I like it.

I wasn't aware you were trying to gather feedback from me. All you asked me was to try out a piece of code - which I did (instead of me asking you to try the code yourself) - and report the result back to you. I liked the result and that's why I said it is manageable. I knew it would be difficult to align the page as I believe it would involved grabbing the pixel location of avatar/ left edges of forum and coming up with a algebraic formula to adjust the horizontal scroll bar.

And I'm sorry if you thought it was only for me - but honestly, all I was speaking about is convenience for all - which is what RS Linkify is about. I did a case study on my own, it's not like I was asking you to do this for me only.

Short to the point, I'm sorry and I'm completely willing to help. I could imagine what I discussed is an unnecessary use of development time and agreed that using centering is the best way to go about it - which was my quick fire response. I'm sorry the response was too ill formed.

23-Dec-2014 00:03:52

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Don't worry Lifer, everything fine between us.

Yes I took your post as meaning 'barely adequate' in regard to my help. If that came from just about anyone else, I wouldn't even bother to reply. Since it was you, I can't just ignore that (even if I'm wrong) and I'll address it right there and then.

That's my interpretation and if I'm wrong that's my issue and I will take more care in the future.

The fact you have simply clarified the situation is more than enough and I apologise for my harsh reaction.

It's important for me that you know this, "You don't EVER need to explain yourself to me" . To clarify the situation is more than enough.

After talking to you in game I can see this has concerned you. Just know even if I'm out of line, or harsh, it's never personal. Even as I made my post, nothing had changed for me in regard to you. I'm not like that, I will speak my mind, but I wont change the way I feel toward someone over a single forum post.

The last thing I want is for you to feel like you (or anyone) are stepping on egg shells around me, and I'll do what it takes so you don't feel that way.

Thank you for hearing me out, nothing has changed for me and I hope things can continue on as they always have.

23-Dec-2014 00:51:32

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Okay here's an idea for smaller browser windows, with an option to align left or right by adjusting the offset. For most cases I think the default zero value will be fine.

http://puu.sh/dG0yo.png

I still have a bit to do before I'll publish this, but I think it's going to be the best all round solution.

23-Dec-2014 04:52:35

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ Before you implement that, can you make sure the header bar still aligns itself properly?

I remember you making it so the right hand side of the header bar shifted towards the edge of the browser, rather than it's default position, but if my horizontal scrollbar is centered, it ends up like this:

http://i.imgur.com/tp2bqcw.png

Thanks ­<3
Unslain Bosses - Clan

23-Dec-2014 10:31:37 - Last edited on 23-Dec-2014 10:35:38 by Hevilmystic

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hevilmystic said :
^ Before you implement that, can you make sure the header bar still aligns itself properly?

I remember you making it so the right hand side of the header bar shifted towards the edge of the browser, rather than it's default position, but if my horizontal scrollbar is visible, it ends up like this:

http://i.imgur.com/tp2bqcw.png

Thanks ­<3

You're too late, the update is published.

But I'm happy to say I'm way ahead of you. I took that into account and it all works together nicely :)

Edit: Hang on I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the image you posted.

The Links will still move as they did prior to this update.

23-Dec-2014 10:35:14 - Last edited on 23-Dec-2014 10:39:24 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top