Best Quester Competition Thread is locked

Quick find code: 254-255-460-65590572

Helring
Mar Member 2005

Helring

Posts: 4,609 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Kalaya said :
Helring said :
If they want to encourage a quest. Why not Broken Home. This way its repeatable so if people want to go back and do it they can, this not forcing quest capers to go back and buy another membership, and they can raffle off the godsword to anyone that completes broken home during that period of time.

We are doing some Broken Home speedruns this Friday!

Then make those the contest. Don't encouraging speedrunning the other quests. Encourage people to take time and enjoy them.

18-Mar-2015 09:52:24

Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Posts: 4,467 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ForumHelp said :
If I'm totally honest with you, I think you are the ones thinking about this the most.

Exactly. And that is why we're upset. Because once again you obviously didn't put an ounce of thought into this whole thing.

ForumHelp said :
I'm sad to see a community which is normally so positive about getting people involved in questing become so negative about a contest like this.

1. Stop being so godsdamn patronizing. Between the dismissive attitude Ollie and Kalaya displayed about Ollie's major lorefails in DAT and this thread, it seems arrogance is the main attribute you select your CM employees for.

2. We are not "negative" about the contest itself. We are hugely disappointed and angry that the reward of a competition aimed at people who do not like quests is the title "Ultimate Quester", which by rights belongs to us and is not a fitting reward for the competition or the clientele it is aimed at.

ForumHelp said :
The last thing we intended to do was devalue your achievement, we we can take a look at the title tomorrow when the team are together and change it if necessary. I would ask for your suggestions as to what you think would be a good alternative.

"the Speed Quester"
"the Spacebarrer"
"the Guide User"
"the Quest Noob"
"the Speedrunner"
"the Dialogue Ignorer"
"
the Reluctant Quester
" (my favorite)
"the Quest*val Winner"
"the Weekend Quester"
Once you go NXT, you never go back.

Ceterum censeo Saradominem esse delendam.

18-Mar-2015 09:52:35

Helring
Mar Member 2005

Helring

Basically, this whole contest was ill-thought out and shows no respect at all for the quests it was intended to celebrate. It treats them as just more content to be grinded out instead of recognizing that the storylines and dialogue are what help them to set Runescape apart from other MMO's.

This contest greatly disrespects the devs that took the time to create the quests, the players that took the time to enjoy them, and rewards speed not enjoyment.

18-Mar-2015 09:53:06 - Last edited on 18-Mar-2015 09:55:28 by Helring

Sonja Grier
Jun Member 2023

Sonja Grier

Posts: 325 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Kalaya said :
Changed the newspost to reflect this, but the title reward for winning this competition is now "Quest*val King/Queen".

could you change the newspost for the other languages as well? I guess the german version would be: König/Königin des Abenteuer-Festivals
Jojo - Still cannot decide who's better:
Guthix
or
Zaros

18-Mar-2015 10:01:31

Helring
Mar Member 2005

Helring

ForumHelp said :

You guys have your capes of achievement and we thought this would be a cool way to get players into questing. I'm sad to see a community which is normally so positive about getting people involved in questing become so negative about a contest like this. Especially when I am 99.9% certain that someone with a quest cape will win this anyway! Hence why we explicitly said we'd put it on your main account if you used a new one. However, I do understand your frustrations, so...

Thanks,
Mod Balance

Have you ever thought about why we want more people to get into questing? Its not that we want to see more people "complete" the quests. Its that we want more people to enjoy the lore, the storyline, the puzzles and the atmosphere.

My heart drops whenever I go to discuss a quest with someone and they say "Idc, I just spacebarred through the dialogue". Those aren't what I'm trying to do when I get people into quests. I want more people to get into the storylines surrounding RS, to discuss theories and possibilities with. You're encouraging the exact opposite of this with this competition. Another group of players that have technically done a bunch of quests but have no idea what they've done.

I want you to encourage players to take time and enjoy these quests. Not just a "need to beef up the metric* of the players that have completed them" but get more players to actually enjoy them and know what they've just played through.

This contest isn't going to get anyone new into quests, or get them to respect quests. At most it might increase your metric* of how many players have completed a quest. However, by encouraging players to rush through quests, you're teaching them a style they might stick to into the future. You're showing that you don't respect the narratives and dialogue so why should they?

18-Mar-2015 10:01:49 - Last edited on 18-Mar-2015 10:08:23 by Helring

Seravail
Jul Member 2008

Seravail

Posts: 4,286 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why can't people who already have the quest cape get the title? I've personally proudly upheld a quest cape since 2010, and feel it's always been undervalued one way or another. It's the only cape that doesn't have a trimmed or master version, the only cape that didn't get an overhaul with the recent skillcape rework, and it's just barely worth having anymore. Now we're being told that if we want to have a chance at a title, we have to start an entirely new account from scratch?

Personally, I'm not going to pay €9 or whatever it is now for another account because I've been paying €4.60 for seven years now. It seems ridiculous to have to train all those skills back up again and then make sure you've got enough time during the weekend to get 359 Quest Points, as I can pretty much guarantee there'll be people who do *nothing* else all weekend.

All in all, I think it's a great idea, but don't leave us age-old questmasters out of the equation. Like I said, I'm not going to pay for a second account, which is twice the cost of what I pay now, plus what I pay for this account, just to get a title. Those who have a questing cape should be eligible for a similar title regardless. It doesn't have to be Ultimate Quester, as that's the event-bound one, but at least something like Grandmaster or Questmaster could be done.
We shall do the thing.
The thing must be done.
Do the thing.
The thing is relevant to my interests.

18-Mar-2015 10:26:38

Raffle

Raffle

Posts: 5,433 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Balance said :
Quest*val King/Queen... How would that work for you guys?

( My post from ForumHelp is legit)

First off, to everyone whose saying they're a quest caper and shouldnt have to spend that much money on a new account for levels and time? It was a title that only 1 person would get in the entire game. It's pretty fair if you think about it. 8m for a chance at a title only one person will get. If you can't afford it, don't go for it.

I wish you'd kept it at Ultimate Quester. The people here that are complaining about the previous title you had set in place, are people who don't have much of a good reason to dislike the competition. They're expecting to be given a headstart in a race all because they've ran the track before.

The thing about the previous title is that it was something actually worth going for. It sounded nice. Quest*val King/Queen sounds a little nooby to want to go for. If these questers that have been complaining about the title actually cared about questing , they would be trying to tell Jagex to try 'not' to focus on the non-questers and continue to make quests like you did in the past (With actual quests requirements and levels), because you can't appeal and shouldn't lower the standard of questing for the non questers.

18-Mar-2015 10:27:45 - Last edited on 18-Mar-2015 10:30:56 by Raffle

Helring
Mar Member 2005

Helring

Raffle said :
Mod Balance said :

I wish you'd kept it at Ultimate Quester. The people here that are complaining about the previous title you had set in place, are people who don't have much of a good reason to dislike the competition. They're expecting to be given a headstart in a race all because they've ran the track before.

The thing about the previous title is that it was something actually worth going for. It sounded nice. Quest*val King/Queen sounds a little nooby to want to go for. If these questers that have been complaining about the title actually cared about questing , they would be trying to tell Jagex to try 'not' to focus on the non-questers and continue to make quests like you did in the past (With actual quests requirements and levels), because you can't appeal and shouldn't lower the standard of questing for the non questers.

I'm not looking for an advantage. I'm looking for them to cancel this because they're degrading quests into just more content to grind out. They're not trying to get players to enjoy questing, which would be a more admirable goal for a "Quest*val".

18-Mar-2015 10:32:47

Quester

Quester

Posts: 492 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Raffle said :
Mod Balance said :

First off, to everyone whose saying they're a quest caper and shouldnt have to spend that much money on a new account for levels and time? It was a title that only 1 person would get in the entire game. It's pretty fair if you think about it. 8m for a chance at a title only one person will get. If you can't afford it, don't go for it.

Agreed, thanks.
Quest(i)val King - Gamebreaker - Proud CWafkers general - Master Quester and Lorehound - Going for Insane Final Boss

18-Mar-2015 10:36:21

Quick find code: 254-255-460-65590572 Back to Top