Forums

Let's talk about Elon Musk!

Quick find code: 23-24-842-66266218

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
mr togue said :
i am saying labor laws ,,, only after the person has been fired ... come into play

but the reality is no matter how the laws play out,,, that person will not return to the company as a employee,,

now there are exceptions ,,, but i am not discussing a
"what IF" or in this "special event moments,," scenarios
If you look up what labour laws are, they are laws set out to mediate the relationship between an employer and employee not for when that relationship ends, but throughout that relationship, from start, during and end. So to your point, no they do not only come into play when a person has been fired. The laws dictate how a person can be fired in many areas and everything that comes before that point. :)
Joel

Need support? Support Centre | Forum Help

13-Mar-2023 14:03:08

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In regards to Musk's intelligence or him being a visionary; He's definitely a visionary to Arch's point but I guess what's more up for debate seems to be his intelligence.

I'd argue his intelligence is far beyond that of the average person. Does that make him comparable to Einstein? I'd say no but in terms of Musk's mark on history, his name will certainly be known in a similar sort of way, heading up some of the most successful businesses in history, ones which have revolutionized their respective industries.

He gets a high level of criticism when things go wrong (e.g Twitter) since the buck stops with him, so in the same sense can credit not be given for the successes of for example SpaceX & Tesla under his leadership too?

Nobody is an expert in everything. While he has a background in engineering and economics he has obviously done a half decent job at hiring the expert individuals in the required fields to allow the likes of Tesla and SpaceX to achieve what they have.

That's not to take anything away from any of the employees at either companies, they've obviously been absolutely critical to that success and will continue to be so.

But I'm not sure it's a fair assessment either that you could conclude that Musk himself isn't overly intelligent, that you could interchange him with a ton of other people who could do just as good of a job running Tesla and/or SpaceX in the way he has (the ups and downs of both companies too) and that he has average or just above average intelligence and is simply just more of a visionary and that's it.

Just my thoughts :P
Joel

13-Mar-2023 18:55:14

Miles Prower
Nov Member 2006

Miles Prower

Posts: 9,764 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Success does not equate to intelligence. Providing you have the financial backing, the stakes are lower when you can hire an expert to do the work for you. If Musk had intelligence, he would be able to apply competent methodology across the board, including Twitter. He would also be able to accept negative feedback without acting like a child. Low on bank space? Click here .

14-Mar-2023 07:26:02

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Correct, success does not equate to intelligence. But I'm not really basing my argument on him being intelligent on his success alone because as you put it, anyone with the means can find success, or at least afford to fail a lot more before finding success.

But as Rooh pointed out, his IQ is thought to be around the 150-155 mark based on previous aptitude tests (although it's not confirmed). People with an IQ of 140-145 are considered geniuses so based on that definition he'd be considered a genius - and just to be clear, that's not me suggesting that he is. I'm basing that purely on what the IQ of a genius is considered to be and what Musk's IQ is believed to be.

It's also known (by his own admission) that he has Asperger’s Syndrome which can impact a person's ability to communicate and interact socially which is fairly evident if you've watched him interact or give a presentation. But those with Asperger's are also known to have a higher than average intelligence too.

So all those things considered is why I have the opinion that I have. :)
Joel

14-Mar-2023 14:19:26

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,399 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Look, a high IQ does not make you a genius.

Hell, my own daughter's IQ is 150, and I'll be the first to say that she's very very smart - but for all that, she's not up there with Einstein or Hawking. Neither is Musk.

As it happens I took a Mensa IQ test myself last week (at the urging of my wife and kids, who are all members already). And one thing is clear: their IQ tests measure only ONE aspect of intelligence: logical reasoning and pattern recognition.

More to the point, Musk's emotional intelligence is also clearly lacking; he's a troll and apparently incapable of empathy.

So I'll stick with what I said before.
Is he a visionary? Certainly.
Is he a genius? No.
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

15-Mar-2023 06:24:16

Volte Face
Oct Member 2023

Volte Face

Posts: 942 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Edit: I've read more about emotional intelligence on Wikipedia and I don't see why it deserves its own category. Understanding others isn't the same as sympathy. The age of chivalry is gone; that of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded, and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever.

20-Mar-2023 11:02:22 - Last edited on 24-Mar-2023 17:03:21 by Volte Face

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,399 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Musk's latest brainwave is making Twitter's press query email account auto-respond with just a poop emoji.

Yes, someone who is this childish and immature is being held up as the ideal person to take humanity to Mars.

Make of that what you will.
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

21-Mar-2023 07:52:47

Quick find code: 23-24-842-66266218 Back to Top