Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Quite surprised myself considering the near 10 day difference from my last post and coa's

I get GSW on my feeders and can hear em in the trees hammering throughout the day. Not seen any green ones nearby though :( Also didn't see any Lessers either..

Saw a sparrowhawk today it (fairly sure female due to large size) was flying low just above head height went for a better look but it was already in the air again.

This week 3 starlings have been hanging around last time any nested here was well over 15 years ago so I'm told, travel about 10-15mins away and there are flocks that must be nearing 1000.

Some apples that never got picked up over the winter got butchered when they got mowed last weekend and I saw a rook pick a great big slice up which was fun to see.

A Kestrel was hunting from a tree that overhangs a rough field, which according to my books indicates a juvenile so I guess it is a good sign there was some reared locally. I will be out this weekend looking for water rail just up the road they are there but whether I'll see/hear any remains to be seen (or not).

14-Mar-2014 21:35:18

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

I'll keep my view of cats to myself :P

Look on the bright side it wasn't a Chinese pond heron or other rare heron and you didn't get 100's of twitchers knocking at your door or peeping into your garden :P

14-Mar-2014 21:37:57

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I might have enjoyed that though, Wilf :P

Well, I know this is a bit sad but I hear an owl at certain times of the year quite a lot but have never seen it, so have resorted to listening to bird calls over the internet to try and suss which one it is.

Actually, there might be two different types. One is the expected and very typical hooting, the other sound is a much softer 'peep-peep-peep' noise.

I've contemplated lurking in hedgerows at dusk, but decided against the idea for now.

14-Mar-2014 22:42:00

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Tawny for the traditional hooting

Barn owls often screech so if they are there you should be able to hear them easy enough.

As for the other species I've seen all barring long eared but dunno sounds .

Locally I know there is Tawny, Barn and Little owl, but like you I can't see them barring the Little Owl as it perches on a fence post.

14-Mar-2014 23:20:42

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Apart from The Gang this morning (all the usual suspects, Robins, blackbirds etc) I had a pair of crows bomb the table and hang around in the trees for a while.

They didn't stay very long, a lot of agitated flapping by other residents seemed to un-nerve them, plus me going out into the garden and shaking a towel around.

Not keen on them - vicious nest-robbers that they are.

15-Mar-2014 13:15:10

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

lol.

They don't really come on the food, but sometime they eat the hen corn. They fly back and forth throughout the day between the field and the rookeries on the village. This time of year can see em in the big tree in the lawn breaking twigs off for the nests.

Again I've been told decades ago it was like a giant black cloud moving across the sky when the majority took off together I'd say around 100-200 crow/rook/jackdaws there though.

Last year I put a feeder in the woods which I can see from the window and one day I could see big black shapes making lots of movement. As I had tied some thin wire between trees to hang them from to help stop squirrels getting em one rook would land on the feeder and flap up and down shaking the food out for it's friends on the floor then that one would go to the floor and another would start jumping. Was good to watch, but I abandoned the feeding station.

15-Mar-2014 17:48:02

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Twillow said :
Hello Dr Delirium People above

If you wish to post on threads, be sure that you are posting on-topic. Your off-topic posts (and another related to it) have been can be removed. If you continue to post off-topic posts across threads, you are likely to find yourself without forum privileges. Please refrain. :)

18-Mar-2014 21:59:15 - Last edited on 18-Mar-2014 21:59:45 by Wilf

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top