Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

ToP BaSS

ToP BaSS

Posts: 19,464 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Quite a few years ago *ow, my son found a young Crow who obviously could not fly, at the time it was being stalked by a cat.
He got rid of the cat and brought the Crow home. He called the Crow Moses (I dunno why either) and gradually trained it to fly a little although it would not do any major high flying. He use to drive around in his car with the crow on his shoulder, it was amusing to see people do a double take as he passed.
Moses went missing one Sunday but my wife saw him resting in a tree next to our local chapel. The congregation, mostly elderly folk were stopped in their tracks as they filed into the chapel because she was imploring the Crow to come out of the tree with..

"Moses, Moses, come down Moses".

19-Dec-2012 03:49:54

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Crows make good pets it seems. My brother-in -law had one when he was a kid, which like yours was injured when he found it.

We had a Peahen stay in our field for a month or so until the fox got it. Reckon it came from a farm.

19-Dec-2012 22:43:28 - Last edited on 19-Dec-2012 22:44:40 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With the wintery weather birds have been flocking into gardens for shelter and food, which means a chance to see birds you don't often see.

I've had flocks of around 30 Redwings, and plenty of Song and Mistle thrush.

Also worth mentioning although a bit late is the RSPB big garden birdwatch, where by you spend an hour and record species and the highest amount of each seen over an hour. This data is then used to get a good idea of, which birds are declining or may be starting to decline along with those that are prospering.

There are events being run at RSPB reserves across the country so get involved.

25-Jan-2013 21:03:55

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top