Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nice!

I'm going to play with the hardcore birders tomorrow (today) been a B****'s pipit hanging round at wetlands for a few week now and it's just down the road. I'm not into the twitching side, but it is local and a first record for Yorkshire so I've got to go really.

Want to go before the new year as it will be busy again as they come to get a year tick.

31-Dec-2014 01:01:25

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I had to google pipits to find out which sort it was, how odd that the censor starred it - I was expecting its name to be a bit more racy!

Good luck with that, hope it stays put for you to see it. Sounds like quite a crowd are heading your way.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

31-Dec-2014 01:43:26

Kiwi Magic

Kiwi Magic

Posts: 21,563 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Because the islands of New Zealand rose out of the sea as opposed to being joined to a continent or other land mass, New Zealand was a natural bird sanctuary before humans came here.

There were few predators and so the indigenous bird and plant life evolved independently, and is often unique.

Although I am not an expert, one of my best mates has an interest in regards to New Zealand native birds. He has spent time travelling around the countries forest and bush identifying and studying native birds.

A number of nz native birds have become extinct or are endangered, but the ones you do see in urban areas are very distinctive both in looks and sound.

Tui's and Morepork's are often heard in the city even though they are both on the endangered species list.

Native Wood Pigeons are sometimes heard in the surrounding bush. Their large body mass and thumping wings create an unusual sound unlike most birds.

We call ourselves "kiwi's" but most New Zealanders have never seen a Kiwi. I have, but it was in Auckland Zoo.

Kiwi are unusual in that they have a hollow beak with the nostrils at the end of the beak. They are also flightless and have little defense besides their beak and a bit of a kick, hence most species of Kiwi are on the brink of extinction.

I would like to be able to spend time travelling around New Zealand to experience the natural wildlife we have here.
Make Your Own Magic

31-Dec-2014 06:01:01

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Was distracted for most of the morning so didn't go to look while early evening was only another lad there and we didn't see anything (was most likely tucked up for bed) and then by 4:30 it was getting too dark anyway.

However I did see the tail end of a murmaration, I'd seen groups coming over while looking for the other bird and on th way back to the van watched them for a few minutes before they went down to roost (recorded it), say there was definitely thousands present.

31-Dec-2014 17:49:47

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't think I can actually stand RSOF any more. But I'll still watch this thread periodically because I like birds and I like Wilf and I hope I might actually see something that will get him jumping around. Especially come Summer, when I'm out and about more.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-Jan-2015 01:01:44

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top