Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Even better than I'd hoped!

Curlew Sandpipers!
Ruff!
Little Stint!
and
PECTORAL SANDPIPER one for the "life list"

Again some more dogy photos, but I'll always know what it is :)

Other stuff included Garganey, little egret loads of snipe, black tailed godwits, green sandpiper,common sandpiper, redshank, dunlin, golden plover and ringed plover

Not a bad evening!

07-Sep-2014 22:41:11

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I dont think I've ever seen any of the ones in that list Wilf, you're lucky to have spotted all those.

Dont think I've even heard of the pectoral one.
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

08-Sep-2014 14:56:18

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

If you go to the right places you'll see them.

This time of year is great for waders as they are on the move south for winter, and water bodies have generally shrunk in the summer leaving plenty of mud, which in turn attracts the waders. Many nature reserves such as the one I visited have various aquatic habitat this one has a reservoir, which is connected to a reed bed which is connected to a mere which is connected to an area of scrapes which is connected to a seasonal pool. The reservoir is connected to a river and the seasonal pool connected to the same river.

With this they can move the water round the site to alter water depths for the time of year in order to attract the species that are present.

These nature reserves generally offer some of the best inland places, but the large expanses of mudflats around the coast are undoubtedly the best place. Hundreds of thousands are present on individual expanses.

If there is a reservoir nearby regular checking will no doubt reveal a nice variety.

I'd never heard of it till I got interested, there are still all sorts of birds I've never heard of I think (well the really rare stuff)

08-Sep-2014 17:23:00 - Last edited on 08-Sep-2014 17:25:09 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

This nature reserve I visited is part of a series along the river valley all of them border the river and each one is designed to prevent the flooding of towns and cities. The floodbanks have a small dip allowing the water to flow into the flood plain each is breached around the same time allowing for large amounts of excess water to exit the river. By combining practical flood management with conservation people get the best of both worlds. Properties saved and beautiful wildlife.

08-Sep-2014 19:14:00

Anti Swag

Anti Swag

Posts: 304 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As I was leaving my house this afternoon I turned around to see a bald eagle perched on the top of my roof. Respectively, I acknowledged his authority as well as his natural deserving right to claim my territory and I am currently packing my bags. I have 24 hours to vacate the premises.

09-Sep-2014 00:49:32

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

@anti Haha, wise decision :P

@pixlation
I put food out for the birds as well, especially during the cold months. You could put a bowl of water out as well if you don't already so they can drink/bathe.

I'll guess at them being house sparrow/starlings am I right?

09-Sep-2014 17:09:03

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top