Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've not been topping the feeders up as regularly now so it has put them off coming throughout the day. The odd one occasionally gets killed as well.

as you mentioned them getting fried my dad told about what some bloke said his dad had done... he'd wired his bird table up to the mains and would electrocute the squirrels. When his son found out he made him disconnect it as it wasn't particularly safe.

Can't say I've really seen any fledgling yet, but I've been fairly busy lately and not had much time even for watching the garden.

Think a cat killed a pigeon Sunday night.. was a stray from Belgium we'd caught and put in a basket, well either a cat or a weasel/stoat anyway. This year I've seen stoat/weasel on thee occasions crossing the road prior to that it must have been 10+ years ago.

20-May-2015 22:12:47

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well it wasn't a weasel or I'd have heard about it.

Strange thing - we've been getting pigeons around here. Two last year at the table for several weeks and had never had any before or even seen any around the locality. This year, there's maybe 6 or 7. This just isn't the sort of habitat that appeals to pigeons - hence never having seen any at all, anywhere, since I moved to the area about 12 years ago. And none of them are ringed, so they're not lost Racers.

I can't think of a single place around here where they would find appealling as a home.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

20-May-2015 23:02:01

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We are getting some pigeons as well, which are getting to be a pain - I'm trying to put barriers in their way so they can't land on the feeder. I took the water tray off as one pigeon spent most of his time with his derriere parked in it!

We used to have a pigeon loft in a house opposite - I used to take my son out to see them flying around when they were given exercise.

I assumed any habitat appealed to pigeons - rats with wings.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

20-May-2015 23:51:13

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Feeling a little bit sad that my cute little Red tufty-eared visitor was still in the
"Irritating, verminous, shotgun-fodder"
category :( . Fortunately he/she is far enough away from the danger zone! I am not sure if their diet preferences consists of electric cables - I hope not as our electricity feed runs into the house off a telegraph pole!

On the upside - I think I have rigged up a contraption to dissuade the pigeons from settling down to a free feast on the bird feeder.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

21-May-2015 13:09:28 - Last edited on 21-May-2015 15:29:44 by Bernadette

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's usually the case :P

Few swift flying about today + sparrowhawk an heron flying over.

Could hear the jackdaws calling from their nest along with house sparrows/blue/great tits

Blackbird nest was raided by magpies

03-Jun-2015 19:55:05

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Awww, I wish we had Swifts around here. Nary a one. Used to have them nesting in the barn when I lived in France. Cheeky, raucous, amusing little blighters they were.

Starling nest raided by Crows - massive uproar this morning. Brave little Starlings doing their best to defend by swooping and calling and a couple of Woodies joined in with the scrum for whatever reason * all to no avail. I am not a fan of Crows.

Lovely still evening here, was watching the bats twirling and swirling at dusk :)
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

03-Jun-2015 23:56:41 - Last edited on 03-Jun-2015 23:57:26 by FiFi LaFeles

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top