Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Haven't spotted any Waxwings this far south, it would be considered a rare sighting if I did & believe you me I would make sure I got a picture if I spotted one! They are a pretty bird & are common in the north.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

18-Sep-2014 23:34:57

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm jealous that you not only have a photo of the waxwings but they can be found just up the road too!

I had seen these birds years ago on a visit up north but I didn't take any photos of them.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

19-Sep-2014 22:35:21

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Those owls I mentioned hooting away a few pages back.

Scumbags in the woods out the back from me lamping with air rifles about midnight last night. I was yelling merry hell over the fence into the woods at them and called the Police.

Haven't heard the owls tonight. I hope they just got scared and moved on. I hope.

20-Sep-2014 01:28:09

Rho

Rho

Posts: 4,481 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I do enjoy it but I prefer to do it while walking and just stopping for 5 minutes at a time. I can't sit there for hours in one place. We have Minsmere nearby to where I live and that is a lovely place for a walk while watching the birds.

The 'rarest' bird I've seen from my house is a green woodpecker in the field next to my garden. Apparently it is very rare to see them and you normally only hear them.

They aren't really rare, just that they are not actually seen as often since they spend most of the time on the ground.

20-Sep-2014 12:57:28 - Last edited on 20-Sep-2014 13:03:48 by Rho

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :
Hopefully. They should be getting more active round about now, the owls that is. Were the police interested?

Strangely, yes they were and a Patrol Car actually turned up, took a statement from me and cruised around for a while.

I don't think they were particularly interested in the possible death of the owls, but they were not amused at the thought of people firing off air guns in the dark close to other peoples' homes.

From the description I gave them of one of the youths involved (who I know is local) they confirmed that he and his family were "known" and one of those local Coppers (PCSO??) would be paying the family a visit within the next few days.

20-Sep-2014 15:13:38

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
At least they came out, it might deter them from doing it again, well there at any rate.

People do shoot animals just for "fun" as well as with the intention of killing them in order to increase the chances of them becoming extinct.

@rho: lucky you living near to minsmere! Most of mine is done when out walking as well.

20-Sep-2014 19:51:50

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top