Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Saw our little Wrens late last evening. I was actually standing about watching the bats but noticed them ducking in and out of the honeysuckle (which is rampant this year, must be all the rain). Probably spider hunting.

Two different types of bat, one definitely Pipistrelle as they are tiny but no idea about the others.

Those woodpeckers are definitely GSW (thanks for the descriptions Wilf).

22-May-2014 19:00:08

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'll guess Noctule bat. Can get a bat detector for around £50 or so and then by discovering what frequency you can hear them on find out what they are, can't remember if some share the same but don't think so. Pipistrelle 45 or something like that.

I can hear some baby birds under the slates on the top house now :) .

YW, I've had to attempt explain to neighbors about woodpecker so I'm not too bad, I hope, on describing them.

It is actually 45 not bad that I remembered that tbh.

22-May-2014 20:02:26 - Last edited on 22-May-2014 20:04:54 by Wilf

Miss Kizmo

Miss Kizmo

Posts: 4,375 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Catweazle said :
Saw our little Wrens late last evening. I was actually standing about watching the bats but noticed them ducking in and out of the honeysuckle (which is rampant this year, must be all the rain). Probably spider hunting.

Two different types of bat, one definitely Pipistrelle as they are tiny but no idea about the others.

Those woodpeckers are definitely GSW (thanks for the descriptions Wilf).

Do you live in the middle of nowhere to see bats? I have never heard of people standing outside watching bats.
Love & peace <3

23-May-2014 02:53:36

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lol, Miss Kizmo. No, not very middle of nowhere. I do live in a semi rural area so there's plenty of places for bats to roost in barn roofs, old outbuildings and suchlike.
But I'm only a 20 minute drive from a fairly big town centre.

It's pretty amazing how wild creatures can adapt though, and survive despite humanity's best efforts to gobble up every space for their houses and factories.

Take time to stand and stare in any Park or patch of waste ground and you'll see all manner of creatures going about their business.

Right now, I'm watching the comings and goings of a small nest of wild bees who have taken up residence somewhere under our eaves.

There's always something going on, if you look hard enough :)

23-May-2014 10:15:03

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Miss Kizmo said :
Wilf said :
Ah, but the Robin is a vicious bird that will fight and kill other Robins.

Really? Why would they do that for?

Males establish a territory and if another male enters they will seek to remove them, of course the other male may not fly off when attacked but fight back which can then end in death. Males and females have also been known to team up if they are paired up and chase others off together.

Today I saw a Great White....... Egret.

23-May-2014 22:13:59

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top