Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I lived in France for a couple of years some time ago. Totally rural, not many birds (anything with a pulse is shot and eaten, or shot and displayed as a trophy by the damnable uncontrolled hunting brigade out there).

But I used to see a lot of big hunting birds with wedge-shaped tails (Kites?) but most charming were the Swifts who nested in the barn, and tried to find a nice spot in the kitchen as well when the door was left open. It was a very old farmhouse with beams and stuff and I had to chase them around flapping a teatowel to get them out. I don't think they were very scared of me as they kept coming back :@

24-May-2014 11:07:44

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Might have been black kites even.

We built a house in France bout 5mins from where my aunt and uncle live I should make use of it me thinks.

I think the bird hunting has been curbed a bit as they comply with the ban on spring hunting. The farming family across the road seemed more interested in hunting boars based on the pictures they show us.

Saying that I can remember years ago must be 16 or so on the drive home driving down this road which had a field on either side then a large strip of woodland then field then woodland for about 20 field/strips on each side. Each field had a line of people with guns at the far end again both sides...

Swifts: don't see many of them round here saw/heard a couple in May.

Fun fact the Needletail a species of swift is the fastest recorded bird in flight (only the peregrine when diving is faster, which is also the fastest speed of any animal).
Not very fun fact one that appeared in the UK lat year flew into a wind turbine and died....

04-Jun-2014 23:14:03

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Was passing the time watching the bird on the feeders when a sparrowhawk shot past to try get its talons on a blackbird. Unlucky for the Sparrowhawk that a pair of magpies have been nesting here as they both shot out of the tree onto it when it passed them.

05-Jun-2014 21:05:40

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Loads of fledglings out and about now. Nuthatches Great,Blue,Coal **** Great Spooted woodpeckers, goldfinches. Not seen any young chaffinch or bullfinch yet.

A Chiffchaff has taken to sitting on the telephone wires, keep meaning to try get some decent photos of it.

08-Jun-2014 18:44:44 - Last edited on 08-Jun-2014 18:46:09 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

One horrid French experience: our nearest village had a shooting day (actually they had lots but this was evil). Bearing in mind a vast swathe of countryside around us was bereft of wildlife, someone had obviously discovered a well-concealed Badger sett. They shot every single one of them. 12, in all, including the very young. Then laid them out on the pavement outside the Café and took pictures for the local magazine.

Sickening.

On a pleasanter note - need help with birdie ID. I can't decide if it's a Thrush or a Blackbird, lolol. Maybe a female or juvenile of either.

Size and chubby, rounded shape of a blackbird (not the more slender silhouette of a thrush) but, a rather lovely chocolate brown colour except for throat, chest & belly which is a lighter brown (not the very light fawn of a thrush) but covered in regular 'spots' a la Thrush the same choccy brown as the body. Brown beak.

Thoughts?

09-Jun-2014 10:36:42

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Juvenile blackbirds do have spots similar to song thrush, and are similar brown to female adult blackbirds the ******/fron will be more browny/darker than a song thrush.

Song thrushes will be paler ******/front and the spots are like arrows pointing upwards.

Blackbirds are thrushes too :P

it is also to consider what is more likely to be found in a garden unless you know you've got song thrush in resident of course.

09-Jun-2014 14:09:59 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2014 14:12:49 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Therein lay the problem. I know we have a resident song thrush as I've seen him/her fairly often in the trees around the outside of our garden. Very shy little thing.

Of course, we've got a gang of blackbirds who all visit to feed actually in the garden and squabble mightily for territorial rights too.

I'll have to keep my distance specs handy and check out them spots !

(I didn't know blackbirds were thrushes O_o ) Such a noob.

09-Jun-2014 14:28:12 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2014 14:28:29 by Catweazle

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Song thrush have pink legs as well blackbirds might have as well though.

Look up some images of juveniles of each they should give an idea as well. Have done myself and song thrush is noticeably paler overall based on google images.

09-Jun-2014 17:01:19

Lady Deluxe

Lady Deluxe

Posts: 44,440 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I often see a Tui on the way to dropping my kids to school and kindy anyway the other day we were of to the bus stop when in the tree there was a lot of racket, I looked up and this Tui was bouncing around the tree, then suddenly about half a dozen sparrows flew out of the tree with the Tui in tow, they were all playing together. It wad just awesome to witness, I would of stayed longer to watch but had to get to the bus. :) if I could get access to otlounge I'd put photos. I have asked more than several times ^_^

09-Jun-2014 22:51:24

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top