Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hehe most hedgehogs I see are sadly dad ones...

I think there is a badger in the woods again, last time they were there we think they were in this pipe that our terrier like to go in. One day he came back with a bite mark on his rump lol.

04-May-2014 11:05:24

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mummy Starling came down with her 3 fledgelings. Voracious little brutes - it's costing us a fortune in those fat squares with the seeds & insects in.

Particularly since we have two woodpeckers chomping their way through it too. I'm not sure if they are greaters or lessers. One has a little red cap, the other doesn't, although they are both about the same size (blackbird-size maybe a bit bigger).

I'm pretty sure they have separate nests as they fly off in exactly different directions.

Plus the usual gang of robins, ****, finches etc. I wonder if they'll bring their young into the garden. The bird bath is very popular at the moment and it's amusing to watch the big fat Lancaster Bomber woodpigeons flapping about like crazy, sloshing it everywhere.

Looking forward to maybe getting a few days out and about during the Summer, if Mister Weazle ever gets any time off work when he hasn't got to do "something important in the shed".

17-May-2014 19:53:01

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

atmo only one pair of starling in the area, but jackdaws and crows go for the fat balls, which helps get rid of them as they tend to last ages otherwise.

Woodpecker ID: A lot of GSW are mistaken for LSW due to the red cap on juveniles (in adults it is a red patch behind the head on males). GSW have a big white stripe on their sides as well as red underneath LSW have neither, and are alos quite a bit smaller and have white bars going across their backs. Males have red on top of heads females don't.

This nice weather is great for birds of prey had buzzards soaring overhead peregrines flying through along with sparrowhawks. Clear blue sky :)

Baby bird wise there was three dunnock in a nest but I think the magpies got them, **** going in and out of neighbours roofs with food though.

17-May-2014 21:05:08 - Last edited on 17-May-2014 21:07:13 by Wilf

Jack Sparrow
Mar Member 2022

Jack Sparrow

Posts: 16,746 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't use any gear to watch birds.
I think the crows are my favorite ones to watch.

I've seen them search a school football field like our human search teams do. Everyone is in a row with space between, and move forward so that you miss nothing.

17-May-2014 23:44:34

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Crows magpies etc get a bad press, but corvids are amongst the most intelligent animals on the planet. Jays and magpies have beautiful colouring, and watching crows and rooks playing in the air is something that can cheer you up.

Further to the topic of baby birds yesterday evening my sister rang me as while out with her dog she discovered a young owl on the ground that couldn't fly.

Now while it may appear to be in a bad situation I asked if she could hear the parents, which she could. This is important because in most cases fledged birds will still be depending on the parents to feed them and will call for feeding so moving a baby bird can cause more harm than good and should not be done (if it is on a path and their is a verge along it by all means move it out of the path so long as it is near to where you found it).

Going back to the area and checking can also put the parents off going.

20-May-2014 21:59:40

Miss Kizmo

Miss Kizmo

Posts: 4,375 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What a cool thread :) I'm not a enthusiastic bird watcher, but I love watching them and hearing them sing and chat to each other. We have a lovely bird called the Tui here in New Zealand, I often here him around my home.

I fell in love with the English Robin when I was on holiday in England, such a beautiful bird :D

What a great thread and well done on keeping it going for two years or so :D
Love & peace <3

22-May-2014 01:55:11

Miss Kizmo

Miss Kizmo

Posts: 4,375 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have just read your post on the crow, I was so afraid of them when I was a child. I was told they can peck out your eyes, so I never looked at them. They always hanged about my primary school. I have always thought from a childhood age the thr crows were reincarnation of horrible children that bullied and were mean to people like me ^_^ and that's why they hanged around the school!
Love & peace <3

22-May-2014 02:02:30

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top