Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My birds are sulking because they weren't fed for a while. Hopefully they will have forgiven me by tomorrow afternoon and come back to the feeders so I can record them.

We set up a movement activated camera - we've moved it around a bit before settling on a corner by the house. Mainly pigeons and cats with a magpie in one :@ I think the smaller birds are too slight to set the camera off. One set showed a cat being chased by something - we think it was a fox but, as it was a night time one, it was hard to tell as it was a black and white photo, blurry through movement.

There is also a forgetful madwoman carrying a bucket of bird food, who is none too pleased to see herself on film :@
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

24-Jan-2015 20:52:18

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Haha, I plan on getting a motion camera at some point in the future as well. I know there are foxes but I'm sure badgers are active around here and it would be nice to see a live one even if on film.

24-Jan-2015 21:12:16

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

I've had a few encounters with live badgers. One was doing a nightime raid on a bin at Sussex University campus - totally ignoring the growing crowd oohing and ahhing at this close encounter with iconic british wildlife.

More recently one decided to attack my metal garden gate at about 2am - I honestly thought it was a burglar trying to get in - as I was lacking someone braver than me who could investigate, I had to go see what was happening for myself :(

The badger wanted to go through that locked gate and he wasn't going to give up the fight, he carried on even when I turned on the lights. He only ran off when I made lots of noise opening the back door. Silly sausage turned up and did the same thing the following night, but went away when I made some noise. After that I tied a couple of carrier bags to the gate, the rustling noise seemed to keep him away.

24-Jan-2015 22:04:56

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

My Garden Birdwatch results:
Blackbird 1
Blue *** 3
Great *** 2
Carrion Crow 2
Dunnock 1
House Sparrow 4
Wood Pigeon 1
Robin 1

I had to wait until Sunday afternoon and the weather wasn't that great.

28-Jan-2015 19:20:19

State Bird

State Bird

Posts: 1,095 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Did someone say birdwatching? :p I don't typically do hard-core birdwatching, but I will listen and watch some birds at my job when we're quiet and not so busy.

I typically picked the username I did because I love my 'state bird', the ruffed grouse. :p I also really like bald eagles and hawks.

|+| State Bird - Leader |+|
|+| -Wings of Gielinor- |+|

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

28-Jan-2015 22:34:27 - Last edited on 28-Jan-2015 22:34:45 by State Bird

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top