Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yay for birds and yay for Wilf! See you around :)

I'm hoping I'm a bit more proactive myself this year. Might start joining the Huddersfield RSPB groups monthly trips to places further afield.

06-Jan-2015 19:08:47

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

You may have noticed the RS*B ads for the big garden birdwatch I've done it the past couple of years and then when they send out the info gathered you should get an email. It is interesting to see what has happened even over the space of a year.

You can find out more info on their site, and I'd recommend signing up they only ask for an hour to be spent then you just record each species and the most you see of it at any one time.

10-Jan-2015 13:39:10

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We were wandering through a town centre when my daughter spotted an odd bird and asked what it was, and then complained I had infected her with birdwatching, which apparently, according to her, is only marginally more acceptable than train spotting!

The bird in question was black with large patches of white up its back and across its head. When we got home we looked it up and found it was a blackbird with random white feathers - I have never seen one before and didn't even know they existed.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

11-Jan-2015 22:29:50

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

The condition is called Leucism I believe.

See reports of leucistic *birdname* from time to time.

As for train spotting that is boring in comparison as the trains tend to be predictable in where they are going :P

11-Jan-2015 23:02:17 - Last edited on 11-Jan-2015 23:03:26 by Wilf

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mr B gave me one of those feeders that stick on the window, but the birds don't seem to like it yet - perhaps it is too windy for them, or they don't like the look of me on the other side :(
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

15-Jan-2015 18:44:22

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Yes they do, they're not daft!

Not a bird, but i did see 3 deer in the woods today, years since I last saw any round here. Didn't have binoculars on me as with the snow I didn't see much point taking them... very prominent white rears was all I could make out, so I'm edging at Roe deer for now.

18-Jan-2015 00:11:05

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top