Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Lady Deluxe

Lady Deluxe

Posts: 44,440 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Two weekends ago the kids and I went to Zealandia, use to be known as the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. Anyway we got up and very close to weta's in a very dark cave, needed to use your phones to see, which was cool for the kids and then we came to this feeding the birds place, and three kea came down to feed and it was amazing to see these parrots up very close and wondering around the feeding station, they must be very use to humans being so close. Anyway my 6 yr old saw a small ladder, about the same size as himself, so he drags it out from under the bush and I caught him as he was trying to put it up by the feeder with the kea's, anyway prior to taking the ladder off him and giving him a little explanation type telling off, I said out loud'ish 'there is always one child' in that voice -little pause- then I said, 'and it just happens to be mine', tough crowd, I got one or two smiles... So I put the ladder back under the bush, and he drags it out again... So popped ladder away and carried on with our walk... On the way back to begining, we by-passed the feeding station...

02-Jun-2016 21:29:29

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We seem to have a regular young woodpecker now coming to the peanuts as well as the red squirrel. The rooks continue to decimate the fat balls in the round feeder so I have added some garden wire to it in order to reduce the hole sizes. - I don't really want to stop using it as it is easy for me to fill.

We have more molehills :( I have watched a couple being sent up, but the mole did not poke his snout out, so I didn't get a picture of him. I am going to start collecting the earth from the molehills so I can use it to fill up some of the vegetable area, when it gets laid out.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

04-Jun-2016 00:02:27 - Last edited on 04-Jun-2016 00:42:39 by Bernadette

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Litlle Bittern on same site as last year YOU'RE MINE THIS TIME!

Swift look like they're nesting at work :)

Re fatballs: I think they eat mine too although usually before I get up!

07-Jun-2016 21:53:37 - Last edited on 07-Jun-2016 21:53:52 by Wilf

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The rooks cackled at my pathetic efforts to stem their fatball attacks - will have to think of something else. I think next time I fill the feeder I will tie something under it to get in their way. as they helicopter up to it. I don't want to stop them completely as I do quite like seeing them strut around the garden. We also have jackdaws and a jay visiting.

I think it was a mouse who was eating the nuts in the squirrel feeder so we moved it. Apparently Reds aren't too bright and we should be leaving the lid open for a while till they get used to it; then they will try to lift the lid to get to the nuts.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

07-Jun-2016 23:00:11

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Greenfinch today, never had one in the garden before. Pretty sure it was a male given the wing-edge marking and he was a stocky, solid looking bird.

He wasn't at all worried by me standing 10 feet away with a trowel in my hand, watching him sort out the best peanuts in the hanging feeder (spitting everything else all over the floor, lol).
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

12-Jun-2016 15:45:50

Doc Joe
Aug Member 2014

Doc Joe

Posts: 1,605 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cardinals have been a bird I enjoy listening to and observing. Luckily for me two different pairs have nested extremely close to my house this summer. I hear and see them multiple times everyday. Last week in fact, I was sitting on my porch reading 'The Girl Who Fell from the Sky' (fantastic book by the way) and one pair flew in and were perched a good 3 feet from me.

They say a visit from a cardinal is a visit from Heaven! I wonder who's been stopping by...
Greetings. I'm Joe. I love games and game development.

15-Jun-2016 02:21:09

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top