Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Very nice sightings! There were a few Red-tailed hawks around here in late spring but have since moved on. This area is probably a bit to urban for them to make there home here long term.

I happened to see the turkey hen with her three chicks, who are now young adults, again today. They gave onlookers quite the show while they dug in the dirt under some picnic tables, laid down in the loose soil & lifted the dirt over their bodies with their wings (a dirt bath).

A stray cat happened to show up to watch too & took an interest in the chicks but turkey hen wasn't having any part of that, puffed her feathers up & chased the cat away.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

23-Sep-2014 22:04:43

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Stray cats are a problem for wildlife all over the world. I read a article recently where the RSBP removed all of the cats on the Ascension Island (UK Overseas Territory). The RSBP worked 10 years on this project to get rid of the cats on that island in order to allow the Ascension frigatebirds to reclaim their island home to nest there once again.

I have never seen the Ascension frigatebird but I do have several pictures of the Magnificent Frigatebird that I took a few years ago.

25-Sep-2014 15:42:21

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :
They should be getting more active round about now, the owls that is.

At least 4 owls calling tonight annoying that I know which tree one of them is in but can't see it, lol.

I'd be tempted to buy night vision binoculars, but fear that if I start walking around with them people will think I'm strange(r).

27-Sep-2014 22:18:15

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Love it when university challenge has bird questions, especially waders :D

Pretty sure the answer to one of them is always curlew/avo*** lol.

Also lolita was another answer..

29-Sep-2014 23:30:10 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2014 00:32:40 by Wilf

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

If you know which tree the owl might be in you can go out in the day with your binoculars to look for where it is nesting (perched). It might take awhile to see what kind of owl it is since owls are camouflage experts, (kinda like the alien in the Alien vs Predator film).

30-Sep-2014 15:36:04

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

It was a Tawny Owl. I did look the next day, but like you say they are well camouflaged. No obvious signs to suggest it goes there regularly either.

Might be trying to establish a territory in the area so will be listening out, I'm fairly confident on where some roost ( a neighbours garden just up the road).

30-Sep-2014 16:45:25

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

I forgot to mention last week I saw two grey wagtail near my house!

While the name suggests they are grey the more defininf feature is that they have a yellow rump!

Where as the Yellow wagtail is also yellow breasted!

There was also a rare bird not far away but I've been too busy during the day to go see it :(

Buff Breasted Sandpiper.

30-Sep-2014 21:13:29

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top