Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Another male Hen Harriers has "disappeared" that makes the total known about to five. Five nests that were being sat on by the female failed.

Last year 4 successful nests, and the year before i think it was 0.

And you get idiots like Ian botham defending game keepers (I wonder why) and blaming the RSPB.

Even if it was the RS*B's fault these recent nests failed it is the fault of all the illegal killing over the years , and now, that has caused the species to get to the point it is at now.

10-Jun-2015 23:24:23

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Drama! Danger! Disaster!

Enter stage left:
Superwea*le
:D
*jingle of heroically stirring music*
(resplendant in baggy, over-washed tracksuit & straggly ponytail)

Wandering up to feed the goldfish and sees Mummy chaffinch perched on fence calling raucously and urgently with a loud and plaintive cheep answering her. Ooooh, I thought, someone's just fledged then and baby's close by.

The closer I got to the pond, the more frantic became the calling, then her nerve broke and she flew away. Somehow the silly chick had managed to squeeze through the heavy metal we have covering the pond (bloody herons) and was drowning.

It's a big rigid sheet of 2" x 2" mesh and pretty heavy (for an old woman) but I managed to wrench it up with one hand and guddle about in the water to find him (he'd gone under). Dried him off and tucked him under a bush next to the pond (hid round the corner of the shed to keep watch for crows and such, he was too dazed to make an escape). Mum was in the woods circling the garden, still calling.

After about 10 minutes he made a dash for the trees, hit the fence on his first attempt but cleared the top second go.

Next day we saw an adult chaffinch with one offspring at the birth bath ~ I'd like to think that it was them and the little guy had made it.

Just a common chaffinch but, eyyyy .... ya know what I mean.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

13-Jun-2015 09:20:49

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Good timing!

Seen a few fledged blue **** in the garden now. A blackbird is still taking food to its nest.

Saw a family of treecreepers yesterday and a young great spotted woodpecker poking its head out of the hole calling, and a family of wren

Saw some linnets and a whitethroat as well not seen any for a while as I don't walk that way often.

14-Jun-2015 11:19:21

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have, as yet, failed to do anything to earn the title 'SuperBern', unless the birds in the gardens regard flapping away cats, sparrowhawks and ravenous magpies as suitably heroic.

I was a bit disappointed that the Blackbird missed out on the National Bird title.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

20-Jun-2015 11:33:08

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Most of my birdwatching is done when I'm out with the dogs :P

on Saturday saw 3 tawny owl chicks in their nest

tonight heard tawny owl in a few places nearby not bad

red kite this morning and song thrush this evening only things of note

I'd have liked the Hen Harrier to have won purely because anything to help its cause is worth it look a bit bad with the national bird getting driven to extinction as a breeding bird.

Missed a rare bird earlier on in the week due to illness oh well

21-Jun-2015 22:41:56

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ms Toxicity said :
I'm not a dedicated birdwatcher per se but I like seeing Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Crimson Rosellas and Kookaburras in the reserve where I walk my dogs.

These sounded so exotic I had to Google them. And, indeed, they were exotic ... at least to my British eyes which are used to seeing very small birds barely glimpsed through thick hedgerows, wearing much dowdier plumage!

I think the bird that enchanted me the most was a Barn Owl that flew towards me one late dusk evening when I was walking down a country lane, it seemed in slow motion and almost without moving his wings. Maybe he was gliding a bit. Anyway, that eerie nearly-white form and the silent flight made me shiver.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

21-Jun-2015 23:02:10

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top