Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I joined the RSPB today. There was a very pleasant young man who had a stand in the foyer of my local supermarket and I couldn't resist.

Looking forward to receiving my free copy of Guide to Common British Birds (or whatever).
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

03-Jul-2015 20:06:08

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Great!

Not to mention the quarterly magazine and the yearly phone call trying to persuade you to give more money :P

It's a good id book if you've not got one already.

locally a few more fledglings seen:
Great Spotted wood pecker was on the bird table being fed I had to disturb it after a few minutes as it was starting to peck the felt off :P

Blackbirds also feeding young.

Now onto some good birds!
At my local RSPB site there has been a Little Bittern the past few days and today there was also a Black-necked Grebe and an American Wigeon!

So with the reserve being open while dusk I went to look for the Grebe and Wigeon

Saw them both got some dodgy photos and a bit of film of the Grebe the Grebe is a nice looking bird and the Wigeon a bit more boring to look at.

I've seen Black-necked Grebe before but not American Wigeon so that's a 'life tick' for me!

I didn't attempt to stake out for the Bittern although I should have done as it was seen a number of times at the time I was there!! Every other evening it is seen once and that's it, but I plan on going early tomorrow what with it being open at 5am.

04-Jul-2015 22:49:16 - Last edited on 04-Jul-2015 22:49:52 by Wilf

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Heh, I'm expecting the phone call, I get one a couple of times a years from the other charities I donate to.

Apparently, I now get free entry to all bird sanctuaries. There's quite a lot of them around here, Rainham Marshes is a quick drive, so if I can persuade Weazlet to accompany me for a picnic at some point I'd be interested to check out what they've got there :)

I saw a glimpse of a hawk yesterday - he was too high and disappeared fast behind the treeline to say what he was, but definitely a hawk of some kind. Big wingspan and that wedge-shaped tail. Quite surprised, not see a hawk around here ever.

I Googled the grebe - pretty little thing!
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-Jul-2015 10:48:09

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
if it is staffed they usually have a blog for the reserve where they list what's happening or been seen recently.

dipped the Little Bittern

I decided my bed was too comfy so missed the pre 8am sightings then from 8-12:20 I saw nothing and then 5-8:30 I saw nothing.

it was seen a couple of times but the flight was that short only the person who called it had a view.

Unless it sticks around a few more days I don't think I'll get chance to see it

05-Jul-2015 22:23:46

Shpikey
Dec Member 2023

Shpikey

Posts: 1,442 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't bird watch but there has been a hawk living in a tree close to our house and it just screeches constantly while flying around. He has now been named "Crazy Hawk"
¸.•°¨
Learn to Fly!
¨°•.¸
`*~*´
¸¸,.•°'´
`'°•.,¸¸
`*~*´

07-Jul-2015 19:58:30 - Last edited on 07-Jul-2015 19:59:10 by Shpikey

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top