Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Carrying on from above it returned to my site during the week but I dunno where it is now.

Moving on to this evening with a target bird of a Wood Sandpiper. A dainty wader in comparison to the other more common sandpipers (green + common) got some nice views and decent photos for a change! I' upgrade my tripod head from the original one that came with the tripod to one that can balance the weight of my set up without it drifting which helped a bit, maybe carbon fibre tripod in the future too (gotta stalk ****).

Other birds of note:

Black Tailed Godwit
Snipe
Ringed Plover
Avocet
Green Sandpiper
and a Kingfisher.

Not a bad evening! Might be off tomorrow morning undecided atmo.

18-Jul-2015 22:31:19

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thought I'd pop in here to tell tales of Welsh coastal holiday bird noticing.

Sadly the weather was mainly pretty crap, rain and/or wind most days, so we didn't get to go on our planned boatride out to Ramsay Island.

The swallows liked to perch and sing on the electricity wires outside the cottage,

While walking along the Cliffpath to look down into one of the small bays which had seals swimming around in, I got to see a pair of oystercatchers which I had never seen before. And there was also a kestrel hovering above the grass near the lighthouse, The light was fading so I didn't get a good look.

On one of the fine days we walked on the cliff tops and the gulls were joined by skylarks over the fields.

We did see buzzards, Ravens, magpies plus Gulls galore - my seabird identification is a bit ropey, which is very bad of me as I have lived near the coast for over 30 years. Seagulls have always been seen as scavengers not averse to trying to steal chips from children and so to be avoided!
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

05-Aug-2015 11:39:32 - Last edited on 05-Aug-2015 11:41:11 by Bernadette

S3njuUch1ha

S3njuUch1ha

Posts: 924 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I LOVE birds.
I'm a newbie bird watcher so I don't have any equipment or anything, but I do have a book on the locations of all the birds that live in my state. When I do see some birds, I just love to sit and watch them, especially if it's near a stream... So relaxing... One time I was at this lake, and I was able to get close to these magpies and pukeko's because they're probably used to humans. I love taking photo's but I don't always have my camera. Maybe when I finally get a car then I can decide when and where I can find birds.

I have a pet bird too.

Edit: I saw a pigeon (spotted dove) attacking a crow the other day.. I was interesting to watch...

10-Aug-2015 08:33:01 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2015 08:37:20 by S3njuUch1ha

Kiwi Magic

Kiwi Magic

Posts: 21,563 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^Pukekos are funny sort of birds that apparently mate for life... like a lot of birds. The are known to be poor eating so are rarely hunted.

Sometimes a single puke** will be seen by the roadside or motorway looking distressed, this often indicates their mate has been hit and killed by a vehicle.
Make Your Own Magic

11-Aug-2015 12:29:33

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top