Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Kiwi Magic

Kiwi Magic

Posts: 21,563 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Twillow said :
A tweet about some kind of Bird of the Year in New Zealand voting popped up in my newsfeed last night and I thought of you and Cat the bird watchers.

They had such lovely pics of so many birds and an option to learn more where I could hear each bird call. Made me want to run right out and hop a cab to NZ to explore all the birds. =)

The winner this year was the Kôkako.

Copied from the Forest & Bird website:

Best known for its deep organ-like call, the Kôkako is a large slate-grey bird with blue wattles.
Once threatened with extinction there were just 660 Kôkako left in 1999. But today, their numbers have passed 3000 individuals, and populations are recovering thanks to predator control and translocation programmes.
Make Your Own Magic

31-Dec-2016 02:48:03

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RSPB garden bird watch this weekend.

Not seen much around here really. feeders are busy with usual suspects due to few cold days we've just had.

Redwing and Goldcrest topping the list for recent sightings for me I think.

Worth mentioning there has been a large number of Waxwings in the country this year worth looking in berry producing trees. Especially in retail parks where they tend to have lots of them planted in the car parks and around the edges.

27-Jan-2017 20:15:22

The contents of this message have been hidden.

23-Mar-2017 21:25:11

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We have blackbirds, robins, and one pair each of wren and wagtail nest building in the (deliberately) overgrown parts of our garden.

I am desperate to protect them from the neighbours' marauding cats.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

23-Mar-2017 23:15:42

The contents of this message have been hidden.

24-Mar-2017 21:45:47

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,241 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@DrStrangelov - Please do not post about account status issues. Thanks!
Here is one of your posts, excluding the account status issue. It was necessary to hidden two posts.

DrStrangelov said :

[snip]
While working I've been watching some Blackbirds gathering nesting material and gobbling up the worms from the tracks we've dug.

Also a Grey Wagtail landed nearby too!

Spring is well under way and I doubt it will be long before our skies are filled with the beautiful Swallows and Swifts and our ears blessed with that much loved cuckoo cuckoo

Still very busy spent most of last weekend servicing the mower for the grass cutting season I'll take the deck off again and sharpen the blades Saturday. Birthday next week too
like a chica cherry cola

@Twillow_RS|| #teamblue|| #Purple4life

24-Mar-2017 23:36:33

Chief Elf
Apr Member 2017

Chief Elf

Posts: 5,115 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
How's it going, Wilf?

My dad and sister lives in Melbourne somewhere near the mountainous regions. Where they live, kookaburras and parakeets flock. My dad feeds kookaburras who fly to our porch every morning and night. My sister will feed the parakeets with sunflower seeds and other kinds of seeds. I was there for about two months and I think the number of birds have increased. I think the regular kookaburra visitors have gotten really fat overtime!
Mental Health
|
Sweaty Fingers
|
Mod Meadows

25-Mar-2017 21:24:36

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top