Yellow Legged x
Iceland
Caspian
Ring Billed
Little x
Glaucous
Mediterranean x

Or Kitt*wake x

These are the most likely to be found I think well only ones I can name off the top of my head at least.

X = ones I've seen.

Is there a name for those seagulls that act like they own the beach?

07-Nov-2014 09:57:17

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One from the list maybe herring?

@ Scouse Seems likely. Gulls do flock together to roost and forage so when they move on they could just be feeding elsewhere.

The small black headed ones will be black headed gulls I'm sure.

The larger ones could be a number but Herring gulls are fairly pale in comparison to the black backed as the name suggests they have black backs. Different ages in winter will of course look different and appear a more mottled white/brown I think.

07-Nov-2014 17:54:35

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was given a Birthday present this morning (a day late!) a rather weighty tome:
Birds Britannica.

It will take me forever to read, but the parts I have dipped into so far are really interesting, as it gives lots of history and social context to different birds we have. I had no idea Jays buried so many acorns - next Autumn I might collect some and scatter them in the garden if I see any Jays there again.

I also found out that one of the collective nouns for Ravens was an unkindness.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

08-Nov-2014 10:58:44 - Last edited on 08-Nov-2014 11:20:14 by Bernadette

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Happy belated birthday then!

I'll remember that one for my list to santa :P I'm lacking in general books relating to birds.

Dunno where I read it but I must have read both those at some point as they were in my mind, doubt I'd have been able to remember unkindness off the top of my head though.

Raining here again and don't feel like getting wet again :(

08-Nov-2014 12:03:19

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Well I didn't see any of the buzzards.

This afternoon I went to try find Brambling but didn't see any. Not seen many reports of them so could be a bit early yet.

Good looking bird the Brambling looks like a Chaffinch, but has a nice orange chest and orange bits on its back and wings along with white down its back/rump.

The males head starts to go black towards the end of winter for the breeding season.

Look out for them now!

09-Nov-2014 20:23:09

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Bad luck on the buzzards, and the owl.

Had a small group of starlings in the garden - about 10 of them - not sure if that is enough to constitute a flock.

Saw a couple of pied wagtails running across the school car park. I always thought of them as mini roadrunners because of the way they dart about.

10-Nov-2014 23:02:22

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Must have been a startling experience to have an owl land on you if you weren't expecting it. I don't think I would have been able to keep quiet.

The most unexpected wildlife thing I had happen to me (when I was a child) was a bat swooping down and getting tangled in my hair - not sure which of us was most frantic to escape.

11-Nov-2014 20:10:35 - Last edited on 11-Nov-2014 20:12:09 by Bernadette

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top