Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Andy S
Aug Member 2022

Andy S

Posts: 7,862 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Philphish said :
saw a seagull catch a silver fish that was about a foot long

kiinda impressive since I didn't know seagulls legit hunted for stuff like that. Thought they were all about dropping shellfish from up high, eating crabs, or scavenging stuff

pulled it on shore and stabbed it with the beak until dead, then ate the whole thing except the head. Went over there and found blood and scales all over the sand!

i think i have a video i'll have to see..

I've seen exactly the same thing, only instead of a fish, it was a bag of chips.
Actually it's quite common where I used to live in Cornwall.

If I could eradicate 1 type of bird, it would be the seagull, nasty little sods.
There is no spoon

24-Jul-2014 14:51:09 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2014 14:51:51 by Andy S

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ye gulls eat other animals, I dunno if I've mentioned this (might have), but when I was volunteering we did some monitoring of a pair of lesser black backed gulls to see how much they were killing. Can't remember exactly but they would have killed hundreds of black headed gull chicks both for themselves and their young.

Drowned,shook and dropped from height to kill them.

Saw some get dropped and then walk back to their parent, so fairly robust chicks.

24-Jul-2014 18:17:22 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2014 18:20:02 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ugh. I've always thought of birds as gentle creatures (apart from the meat-hunters - raptors are they?).

But since I've started observing them in my somewhat lackadaisical way I notice even a pretty, singing blackbird can be savage.

24-Jul-2014 18:30:16

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Mmmm. I meant the ones who hunt and kill other birds or small mammals, not really the insect-meat eaters or scavengers.

Although, I suppose, things like Crows are not birds of prey (?) but they do actively hunt.

24-Jul-2014 18:52:52

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yer Birds of prey are the typical hunters like peregrine falcons buzzards sparrowhawks etc.

Going off my id book:

Birds of Prey.

47 diurnal species of varying shape and size belonging to three different families

all are mainly carnivorous, with hooked bill and strong feet. Most of the species catch and kill their prey, except for vultures.

Accipitridae: hawks,buzzards,eagles,kites,vultures,and harriers. largest family, 34 species. broad 'fingered' wings suitable for soaring and gliding

pandionidae: only one species Osprey catches fish.

falconidiae: falcons. 12 species of fast, skilled flyers with poited wings. Capable of catching their prey in the air, at times after long dashing dives.

24-Jul-2014 19:05:03

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Well, well. I learned 2 things there: I thought vultures were just scavengers and not classed as a bird of prey, and I never knew there were 3 different flavours. I thought they were all just lumped under the same title of 'bird of prey'.

I must look up what Owls come under.

24-Jul-2014 19:09:40

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top