Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It is down to characteristics of the birds as to what they are classified as, which is basically classification as a whole (well without going in too deeply).

KP*OF*S

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

One of my subjects years ago was classification and we had to make a rhyme for that lol. I must have made a good one to keep remembering the order.

24-Jul-2014 19:24:00 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2014 19:44:23 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Numerous crows flapping about at the edge of the field today when I was walking the dogs.

Went over for a look - a black plastic sack full of dead puppies. Not newborns either.

I dislike crows, but I dislike people more.

31-Jul-2014 19:31:19

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Sick. Near me, somebody once made box out of bricks and left their puppy in it. Thankfully it is a busy spot so the dog was heard, makes your blood boil.

31-Jul-2014 19:42:31 - Last edited on 31-Jul-2014 19:43:37 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Not a bad walk tonight.

Saw a Tawny Owl, which is the first actual sighting I can 100% ID. I've heard them and had one fly over before but not been able to get a view.

Few minutes later a fox was walking down the path towards me got to within 15 foot before realising I was there and scampering off.

Then great views of a pair of buzzard hopping aroud the trees.

All the other usual birds too.

A dead mole was also seen along with a pair of sexton beetles. I've seen these sort of beetle before when I've come across dead mammals but never looked them up.

They are distinctive due to the black and orange colour. They can locate decaying animals through smell and often fly up to a mile in search. They then lay eggs in the carcass and burrow underneath in order to bury it for the eggs to hatch. They will then defend the area while the young hatch.

Sad stuff now last week somebody fly tipped a load of pvc window frames (looks like someones old conservatory to me). And today a few courses stone has been taken from part of the wall up the track. All the old toppings (hand chiseled triangular ones) were stolen a few years ago. Never seen people steal the actual wall before though.

We did see a van going up when we were dropping some stuff off at home chances are it was probably them.

To make matters worse after dropping the stuff off on the way back there was three police cars in the car park at the bottom (they've been doing training around here armed response gun shots going off all that lot). If I'd been thinking I should have asked em to spare five minutes and have a drive up.

05-Aug-2014 19:59:37

The contents of this message have been hidden.

07-Aug-2014 06:59:45

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Wilf

Those United for Wildlife people that are involved in the rhino projects have (had) a sticky thread in General and did a Q&A.

As you didn't seem to be around, I asked if they were doing anything for endangered birds, and they replied with this:

Birds, please visit ZSL's EDGE Birds site: http://***.edgeofexistence****/birds/

Thought you might be interested!

(MODS - this is a link, I know, but Jagex allowed it on the General sticky so please don't hide ... cheers).

08-Aug-2014 17:07:21

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

nice birds nano, you'll have to post when you see em :) .

As to the apps I've seen friends use em and I think they are useful as instead of carrying around guides they just get phone out and look on the bird app + they can get updates on birds in the area from various websites. Twitter has been embraced by a big birding group near me and I check on there as a lot have phones that enable them to post sightings as they come across stuff. However I'm not into fancy phones so will stick to my books and checking the sites when I get home.

Thanks Cat!
EDGE rings a bell from my studies. Looking at the blurb they take into account how genetically distinctive a species is as well as how many there are. I guess that is a good thing as it helps to protect the more unique wildlife on the planet as well as endangered number wise. I'd imagine a lot from the first section will be fairly low on numbers anyway :(

@Kitrinaa.

Patience is a virtue :p

You could try combining it with a walk, bike ride or even car journey. All you need to do is be aware of the birds around you as you go through your day not necessarily going to specific sites :) . You may or may not be surprised by what you see over time.

08-Aug-2014 18:20:20

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top