Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Philphish

Philphish

Posts: 38,575 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am pretty goddamn sure I saw a snowy owl during december. It never landed so I can't confirm for sure, but absolutely nothing else around here has coloration even close to what I saw.

It's pretty weird cuz snowy owls basically never come this far south (southern new england area), but I looked it up afterwards and found that some years they'll make mass migrations far south of where they typically go.

This year is apparently the biggest mass migration in a couple decades, plus there were reported sightings about 20-30 miles from where I was, sooo I think there's a good chance I actually saw one.

20-Mar-2014 02:10:37

Andy S
Aug Member 2022

Andy S

Posts: 7,862 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Please don't take this wrong, I don't mean to offend, but what do you find enjoyable about birdwatching? is it a satisfaction in 'collecting' different breeds on a list? Or maybe just being alone in a peaceful environment sort of like fishing?

Genuinely curious.

-Strength through cheese-
There is no spoon

20-Mar-2014 19:20:00

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I keep a list of what I've seen and where as a record along with other notes, but it is a good feeling to find something new. I don't twitch though so my list will never reach lofty heights.

As for being alone that depends on where you are, if you go to say a RSPB nature reserve you'll be surrounded by families/photographers/other bird watchers.

I enjoy being outside and it is interesting as you won't be purely seeing birds.
When outside chances are you'll be near some birds and you can hear them wouldn't it be nice to put a name to the bird that is making that noise and locating it and watching as it goes about it's daily business.

As for fishing I can't see the appeal :P

20-Mar-2014 19:37:07 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2014 19:38:41 by Wilf

Andy S
Aug Member 2022

Andy S

Posts: 7,862 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Touche. :P

Each to their own, I don't think it's something I could get into, but I see where you find your enjoyment. I prefer to sit in an empty field staring at a lake for hours, hoping for that 20lb mirror carp to finally take the bait....

-Strength through cheese-
There is no spoon

20-Mar-2014 19:51:01

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like looking at them because many of them have such pretty plumage.
Also, I know very little about them so it's interesting to get my little book out and try to identify them.

But I couldn't sit in a hide for hours waiting for one to come along, my old bones couldn't sit still for that long. Mine are nearly always chance encounters, or The Garden Gang.

21-Mar-2014 04:10:17

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A couple of years ago I was volunteering for the RSPB and it was the first time that Bitterns had bred in the county I can't remember how many hours we spent watching them most days, but to see such a beautiful bird successfully rear 3 chicks for the first time in centuries was pretty amazing.

If you have a reserve with Bitterns nearby I suggest you pay a visit as at this time of the year the males will be booming a stunning sound in itself. I think it is claimed to be heard up to 3 miles away.

21-Mar-2014 23:19:23 - Last edited on 21-Mar-2014 23:19:49 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No Reserves near here, all a long-ish drive. And I don't fancy going on my own very much.

Nothing interesting here for days, although a small flock of seagulls this morning. I wonder if it's true they only come inland when the weather is bad at sea?

Noisy blighters, anyway.

23-Mar-2014 18:05:30

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top