Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seagull... tsk tsk :P Plenty of gulls come inland to breed more often than not to the same spot each year.

As for bird related news this weekend it has not been bad

Sat: Siskin on bird feeders and a Greenfinch.

Very rarely see Greenfinch now, Siskin are annual as they move through. Went for a walk plenty of GSW action + Song thrush and Mistle thrush as well as Redwing

23-Mar-2014 18:11:25

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Two male pheasants on this morning's walk, burst from the undergrowth and flew onto a low branch with raucous cackles.

The Shep gave a half second glance and strutted away with dignity (he's smart enough to know he can't get them). The Lurcher stared with burning rage for 20 seconds (he'd have got one if they hadn't flown). The three terriers careered round and round the bottom of the tree until dragged away, screaming with frenzied excitement and blood-lust.

Any other birds and these same dogs are deaf and blind. What is it about pheasants, I wonder?

25-Mar-2014 16:21:21

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Much excitement this afternoon. It finally stopped raining so I took the dogs to the lakes for a swim O_o Ya, makes perfect sense to me.

Canada Geese of course (they poo bigger than the dogs) and some Swans. I like Swans, although I'm a bit scared of them.

The dogs scarpered sharp'ish for a while but they're big lakes and they finally got a swim or a paddle. The Shep got chased back to shore by a pair of noisy ducks who appeared from some reeds (nest-building already?).

In my haste to get out I forgot my little book so I saw a few birds but have no idea what they were :(

27-Mar-2014 21:03:42

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Another bird for the list: Ring Ouzel. I tried to see them last year but was unsuccessful every time I went, but this year I've succeeded and they've only been back in their field a couple of days. Arrived just after 7 couldn't see from where I'd parked so walked down and a male was sat on the top of a small hawthorn tree. Could hear others nearby but not see them, quite elusive birds even when you know they are there.

10-Apr-2014 20:28:32

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top