Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Lady Deluxe

Lady Deluxe

Posts: 44,440 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^Did you see the beautiful New Zealand Tui? He lives a couple of minutes down the road from me, amongst lots of other birds around my home. I live in the heart of the city, and I'm woken very early some morning by chirping birds. It's just wonderful living in the city and having an abundance of birds living on my doorstep. I just love it. :) Nature is a beautiful thing!

12-Jul-2014 17:35:45 - Last edited on 12-Jul-2014 17:37:01 by Lady Deluxe

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks Andy.

Indeed it is. There is a lot of wildlife in cities and towns that probably goes unnoticed by the vast majority as they walk about.

Following on from my earlier post I counted 20 Mistle Thrush today, but I'm sure there was more in the fields as I could hear them in that direction, don't think I've ever seen as many at once. Indication of good breeding season perhaps?

Plenty of song thrush chirping away easy to tell as they mimic the sounds of different birds, usually from the tops of trees. One of them was, so good views of that.

A few Jays rounded off a nice walk.

Also saw a mole pop up, I'd seen the stems moving so thought it was a wren moving about but at the bottom the ground was moving. If it had gone much further it would have been a wet mole.

12-Jul-2014 19:51:19

Lady Vicster
Jun Member 2005

Lady Vicster

Posts: 1,292 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi :)

We put some seed out for the birds on the grassy slope in front of our house, and we attract the usual birds like pigeons, rooks etc..

Sometimes we get bluetits and robins in the back garden.

Most recently we have spotted the odd Jay, and we even had a few squirrels appear, one got into a fight with a rook over the seed.

Ducks
We also have what we call our 'resident ducks' that come from nearby ponds.
We get a pair of typical mallards (1 male + 1 female)
A trio consisting of 2 male mallards and 1 female (we cant quite figure her out, she looks different from the other females I've seen - dark brown with a white/cream coloured patch on the front).
Sometimes the two groups of ducks meet, and normally the duo get chased off by one of the other males.

The two females came on their own tonight which was lucky because we had just put a fresh bag of seed out. They appeared within a few minutes of each other and started quacking furiously at one another, but after a minute or two they settled down.
MQC First Obtained: 24/3/2016
Member of Arcane Lords since 12/7/13

12-Jul-2014 20:25:15 - Last edited on 12-Jul-2014 20:26:01 by Lady Vicster

Shostakovich
Aug Member 2022

Shostakovich

Posts: 41 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've always been into animals, and I enjoy birdwatching.
I haven't really seen much recently, but I did see a peregrine falcon perched ontop of a lamppost while driving today. We rarely see those where I live, at least in the city.

I remember having to remember 30+ bird calls for an environmental competition last year...let's just say that I'd much rather just observe birds in nature instead of memorizing pre-recorded calls :P

22-Jul-2014 01:00:14

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
been watching swifts most of the day a couple kept coming under the gutter of a house near where I'm working, first time I've seen them out of the air.

At home around 18:30 a red Kite flew over, which sort of ties in with somebody reporting one in the area it flew in last week said they had one in a tree in their garden.

23-Jul-2014 21:59:31

Philphish

Philphish

Posts: 38,575 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
saw a seagull catch a silver fish that was about a foot long

kiinda impressive since I didn't know seagulls legit hunted for stuff like that. Thought they were all about dropping shellfish from up high, eating crabs, or scavenging stuff

pulled it on shore and stabbed it with the beak until dead, then ate the whole thing except the head. Went over there and found blood and scales all over the sand!

i think i have a video i'll have to see..

24-Jul-2014 03:38:23 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2014 03:38:53 by Philphish

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top